FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2024 8:46 AM  #1

First start up blueprint 347

2/06/2024 10:40 AM  #2

Re: First start up blueprint 347

Still working on those picture posting skills, eh, Steve?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/06/2024 12:04 PM  #3

Looks and sounds sweet

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

2/06/2024 6:06 PM  #4

Looks/Sounds good. Still haven't started mine. Still working on the custom exhaust. Just bought myself a Miller 220 multi-process welder, MIG/TIG/Stick. Know how to MIG weld but I am a newbie to TIG welding. Tried MIG welding the stainless steel exhaust and I did not like the welds so I am going to TIG weld it.

Last edited by KeithP (2/06/2024 6:09 PM)

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

2/06/2024 6:07 PM  #5

MS wrote:

You know I have a IPhone 15 plus and I still cant get pics to post properly…lol.

2/06/2024 6:13 PM  #6

KeithP wrote:

Looks/Sounds good. Still haven't started mine. Still working on the custom exhaust. Just bought myself a Miller 220 multi-process welder, MIG/TIG/Stick. Know how to MIG weld but I am a newbie to TIG welding.

My son is a great welder and he had some extra pipes from his 68 project.  I went from long tubes to shortys.  I kept the rest of my exhaust and he made some pipes to connect to my exhaust to my shorties.  Mine was at 36 degrees total timing and at 19 degrees at Idle.  When I drive it we’ll see how it feels.

2/06/2024 6:20 PM  #7

Steve69 wrote:

KeithP wrote:

Looks/Sounds good. Still haven't started mine. Still working on the custom exhaust. Just bought myself a Miller 220 multi-process welder, MIG/TIG/Stick. Know how to MIG weld but I am a newbie to TIG welding.

My son is a great welder and he had some extra pipes from his 68 project. I went from long tubes to shortys. I kept the rest of my exhaust and he made some pipes to connect to my exhaust to my shorties. Mine was at 36 degrees total timing and at 19 degrees at Idle. When I drive it we’ll see how it feels.

I bought the Sanderson headers and nobody makes anything that is plug-and-play. I had to make a custom exhaust from the headers to the inlet to the mufflers. First try was the MIG and it was not good. So, now I get to do it again using the TIG.

2/06/2024 8:10 PM  #8

KeithP wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

KeithP wrote:

My son is a great welder and he had some extra pipes from his 68 project. I went from long tubes to shortys. I kept the rest of my exhaust and he made some pipes to connect to my exhaust to my shorties. Mine was at 36 degrees total timing and at 19 degrees at Idle. When I drive it we’ll see how it feels.

I bought the Sanderson headers and nobody makes anything that is plug-and-play. I had to make a custom exhaust from the headers to the inlet to the mufflers. First try was the MIG and it was not good. So, now I get to do it again using the TIG.

My son took a college welding class for $200 this last fall.  He learned to TIG weld. They provided the welders and help.  He said a lot of the guys were in there 50s and 60s and worked on projects in class.  They provided material at cost if you wanted to build something.

2/06/2024 8:36 PM  #9

Steve69 wrote:

KeithP wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

My son took a college welding class for $200 this last fall. He learned to TIG weld. They provided the welders and help. He said a lot of the guys were in there 50s and 60s and worked on projects in class. They provided material at cost if you wanted to build something.

I have been watching a lot of videos on Youtube and the Miller website for a week or so now. I'm waiting for my welding table to be delivered and in the meantime I am going practice TIG welding on my welding cabinet brackets I made to hold the two gas bottles(one for MIG and one for TIG). I don't have the patience to take a class in TIG welding at my age anymore. The Miller 220 has a lot of features that help you learn. I'll find out tomorrow when I light up the tungsten. 

2/06/2024 10:28 PM  #10

KeithP wrote:

Just bought myself a Miller 220 multi-process welder, MIG/TIG/Stick. Know how to MIG weld but I am a newbie to TIG welding.

Envy City. That Miller 220 multimatic is the cats meow. First looked at them during Covid when they were hard to find, but were just $2,500.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/06/2024 11:27 PM  #11

Steve69 wrote:

MS wrote:

You know I have a IPhone 15 plus and I still cant get pics to post properly…lol.

That's okay Steve. Ya gotta hold your mouth just right.....to posts pictures off your phone.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/07/2024 12:12 AM  #12

Sounds like fun already!

I would ask a 5th grader how to post pictures. 😂

Last edited by Nos681 (2/07/2024 12:14 AM)

2/07/2024 8:40 AM  #13

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

KeithP wrote:

Just bought myself a Miller 220 multi-process welder, MIG/TIG/Stick. Know how to MIG weld but I am a newbie to TIG welding.

Envy City. That Miller 220 multimatic is the cats meow. First looked at them during Covid when they were hard to find, but were just $2,500.

Now they have a fixed price of $4199.00. Bought online from Bakersgas.com. The promo they had was a free Miller welding helmet and two 11lb rolls of MIG mild steel wire

2/07/2024 10:40 AM  #14

It’s a great feeling when they first come alive.   👍🏻

2/07/2024 12:21 PM  #15

Ron68 wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

MS wrote:

That's okay Steve. Ya gotta hold your mouth just right.....to posts pictures off your phone.

That long 1970s Lime green extension cord gets in the way sometimes....lol 

2/07/2024 5:34 PM  #16

KeithP........Using the TIG torch....turn up the machine to about 80 amps and then holding the torch close to the MIG welds turn on the TIG and let the puddle form...then slowly move it back and forth across the MIG welds. It will re-melt the welds and you can smooth the welds down so they look nice. Its called 'buzzing your welds'....
(good practice playing with the puddle and manipulating the TIG torch around.)
DO NOT let the tungsten touch the molten metal OR........you gotta stop and re sharpen it.
My tip........get LOTS AND LOTSA Tungsten....ya gonna need it until you get the hang of not 'dipping-your-Tungsten'.
Jus say'in
Axe me how I nose
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/07/2024 7:19 PM  #17

What Sal said.   If you also want a factory looking spot weld you can get one who is really good at might rosettes and take a small tip hammer and dolly and work in tandem and beat the spot down right after its made.  I've tried doing it on my own but by the time you lay the tweco down and grab the hammer its too cool.    When you beat on it, it just kind of looks like a spot weld with an undressed tip....= weld spatter.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/07/2024 7:39 PM  #18

6sally6 wrote:

KeithP........Using the TIG torch....turn up the machine to about 80 amps and then holding the torch close to the MIG welds turn on the TIG and let the puddle form...then slowly move it back and forth across the MIG welds. It will re-melt the welds and you can smooth the welds down so they look nice. Its called 'buzzing your welds'....
DO NOT let the tungsten touch the molten metal OR........you gotta stop and re sharpen it.
My tip........get LOTS AND LOTSA Tungsten....ya gonna need it until you get the hang of not 'dipping-your-Tungsten'.
Jus say'in
Axe me how I nose
6sally6

I bought one of those Dremel tool attachments that grinds the tungsten. Works very good. Nice bright flash when you touch the tungsten! I was playing around today and find what you say about re-melting the welds works pretty slick. Tried welding on scrap exhaust pipe. Wow, now that's going to take some practice welding on a curve! Torch gets pretty hot after using it for an extended period of time at high amps. Now I know why they make water cooled torches.

2/08/2024 9:57 AM  #19

Sounds good, Steve.  As expected, it looks good too.  Butt (TS&T), prolly not "snotty" enough for Sal.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/08/2024 11:30 AM  #20

Bullet Bob wrote:

Sounds good, Steve.  As expected, it looks good too.  Butt (TS&T), prolly not "snotty" enough for Sal.

Yeah, well.....
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/08/2024 12:01 PM  #21

KeithP wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Jus say'in
Axe me how I nose
6sally6

I bought one of those Dremel tool attachments that grinds the tungsten. Works very good. Nice bright flash when you touch the tungsten! I was playing around today and find what you say about re-melting the welds works pretty slick. Tried welding on scrap exhaust pipe. Wow, now that's going to take some practice welding on a curve! Torch gets pretty hot after using it for an extended period of time at high amps. Now I know why they make water cooled torches.

Welp (thx RPM)....you could grind the 'big lumps' of weldment down some so there wouldn't be sooo much to re-melt .
Heavy TIG gloves (terry cloth)  make holding the hot torch a little more comfortable (ya could just take more breaks between welds !!
6s6

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.