FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2024 6:52 PM  #1

Made progress on my Galaxie gauge pod

This is pod B.  For the four door.  I had to make custom mounting brackets, which I did out of 1/2" x 1/8 aluminum flat bar.   Then I had to take the upper lip off of part the light bulb socket, which was a good scenario, because i thought I'd have to shorten the housing.  It all fits with little modifications to the gauges themselves.   Then I hooked up the lights, because I wanted to see.  Coming along
  Hopefully tomorrow I will feel good enough to fit gauges to pod A.  Which the bigger tach gauge will be more of a challenge.  I have the outside two solved by doing this one.  Ignore the mess on my work table

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/06/2024 12:20 PM  #2

Re: Made progress on my Galaxie gauge pod

Nice, and looks period correct.

2/06/2024 12:54 PM  #3

Tough crowd 🤣.  I thought I'd give it a little more perspective. 
Stock dash

Dash with my pod.

image uploading site

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/07/2024 5:10 AM  #4

I was trying to figure this out in my head.   I couldn’t figure out where they were going.  Of course I have no knowledge of Galaxies.

2/07/2024 5:49 AM  #5

A picture is worth a million words.
I was trying to figure out where they mount.

Looks cool and a great location.

2/07/2024 5:38 PM  #6

GOOD job !! Looks like it came as a 'dealer-option' back in the day  (sorta)
Sure dresses up the Ol Gal instrument panel.......
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/07/2024 7:01 PM  #7

Trust me when I say that its a lot of stuff in a compact space.  Without modifying the dash.  I know I've been plotting this off and on for darn near 17 years. 

My inspiration was Mika's Ford Galaxie.   His car wound up being a Rock Auto magnet.  He made a homemade one with moon eye gauges.   

I've tried many attempts. Just couldn't let it go. I can't stand them under the dash. 

I actually have another water temp gauge now from buying a couple of salvage dashes, if I can get one to work (that one never did) I may switch that Sun pro water temp gauge for a vacuum gauge I have.  Those electric styline like those are no longer made.  There are different similar ones though.

Yes, could've been Autometer, or Stuart Warner, but its a cheap beer league budget, AND a look of what the everyman could get back in the day.   As TKO said...period correct.  I was glad he pointed that out.

Last edited by Greg B (2/07/2024 7:08 PM)

2/07/2024 8:23 PM  #8

Back in the day I had those gauges on every vehicle I owned, mostly under the dash.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/07/2024 11:33 PM  #9

Great job Greg!! I very nearly bought a 62 Gal, instead of the 67 S code.
If It had been a better car, I'd be pickin' your brains right now.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/12/2024 9:00 AM  #10

Looks awesome.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/12/2024 12:58 PM  #11

50vert wrote:

Great job Greg!! I very nearly bought a 62 Gal, instead of the 67 S code.

You have a 67 S code? Tell me more... tell me more...

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/13/2024 8:00 AM  #12

Always liked the body style of the 67 Galaxie.  I looked up the 'S' engine code and was surprised that Ford offered 19 different engines for the 1967 model year.  We don't see that anymore.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/13/2024 2:55 PM  #13

BobE wrote:

Always liked the body style of the 67 Galaxie.  I looked up the 'S' engine code and was surprised that Ford offered 19 different engines for the 1967 model year.  We don't see that anymore.

Got my license in a big 'ol 63 Gal. That big tank had the little 260 in it !!!
Ran surprisingly well for such a heavy car.
(It required being run in reverse before slipping into neutral and then immediately into low gear ....before it would spin the tires hard enough to leave a smoking black mark.
OR being launched first in light sandy dirt before bouncing onto old worn out asphalt  to get a good squeal ....according to a friend)

6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/13/2024 4:02 PM  #14

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

50vert wrote:

,Great job Greg!! I very nearly bought a 62 Gal, instead of the 67 S code.

You have a 67 S code? Tell me more... tell me more...

I might'a misled you a bit Bob. It's a 67 S code Mustang, not a Galaxie.
It's claim to fame apart from being a Marti report 1 of 1, is being 1 of the last 67s to leave the building on 8/17/67.
I've never been able to call any of my cars "finished", so I'm going with a more concours type build with this one ...
Maybe I can call it "finished" one day.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/13/2024 5:14 PM  #15

Oh I fingered it was a Mustang. Bullet refreshed my memory yesterday, he had told me about it a few years ago.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/14/2024 8:48 AM  #16

6sally6 wrote:

BobE wrote:

(It required being run in reverse before slipping into neutral and then immediately into low gear ....before it would spin the tires hard enough to leave a smoking black mark.
OR being launched first in light sandy dirt before bouncing onto old worn out asphalt  to get a good squeal ....according to a friend)

6sally6

LOL, I got my license on a 61 Galaxie, 292, 3-speed w/OD, no power steering or brakes.  Parallel parking was not for one with weak arms!  My sister always said that everybody should have to take their driving test on that car.

In addition to a little sand or dirt to achieve burnout capabilities, guys would start on a manhole cover ... the older, more worn and shinny ones, were preferred! 

2/14/2024 8:53 AM  #17

6sally6 wrote:

BobE wrote:

6sally6

LOL, I got my license on a 61 Galaxie, 292, 3-speed w/OD, no power steering or brakes.  Parallel parking was not for one with weak arms!  My sister always said that everybody should have to take their driving test on that car.

In addition to a little sand or dirt to achieve burnout capabilities, guys would start on a manhole cover ... the older, more worn and shinny ones, were preferred! 

2/17/2024 9:46 AM  #18

Greg B wrote:

Tough crowd 🤣. I thought I'd give it a little more perspective.
Stock dash
Dash with my pod.

I like it!  Did you have to cut the dash up to get the wires routed to the gauges?

Last edited by John Ha (2/17/2024 9:46 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/17/2024 12:33 PM  #19

John Ha wrote:

Greg B wrote:

Tough crowd 🤣. I thought I'd give it a little more perspective.
Stock dash
Dash with my pod.

I like it!  Did you have to cut the dash up to get the wires routed to the gauges?

No.  There is a natural open area under the speedometer that the original plastic covers.  Plenty of space to run wires.   What it DOES need though, is good chafing protection. 

2/18/2024 12:16 PM  #20

The second pod was a bit simpler.  The gauges didn't come with those big wide mounts, all I had to do was grind them a bit.   I had to weld the center tach mount, excuse the crudity, my welds are not up to my pre macular edema standards.   Anyways, pushing forwards..

Last edited by Greg B (2/20/2024 11:24 AM)

2/24/2024 7:59 PM  #21

I made my tach hold down bracket pretty and painted it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.