FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2024 1:06 PM  #1

got to love a stick

I saw this and had to share
https://www.facebook.com/reel/231334863318088

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/05/2024 3:04 PM  #2

Re: got to love a stick

Nice!  I remember an old Ford racer I knew growing up who talked about grinding all the teeth off the synchro rings, and every other engagement tooth off the speed gears in his race car.  Basically made it into a dog box.  Probably not real durable with the stock stuff, but you've got to love the innovation. 

3/06/2024 8:48 AM  #3

TKOPerformance wrote:

Nice!  I remember an old Ford racer I knew growing up who talked about grinding all the teeth off the synchro rings, and every other engagement tooth off the speed gears in his race car.  Basically made it into a dog box.  Probably not real durable with the stock stuff, but you've got to love the innovation. 

Yep that was "done back in the day".  Gear kits were available to allow power shifting that made changing gears like 'butter'.  The first run after having our Toploader modified I thought I missed second as it shifted so easily.  Made it hard to miss a gear. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/06/2024 12:07 PM  #4

I do believe that was "Uncle Hubbie"/Hubert Platt in the Smokiest Georgia Shaker putting the ol big block through the RPM 'upper' range.       (BIG name in the Southeast BITD...Quite the showman too !! I saw him several times)

Sure A/T are more consistent and quicker shifting, EZ'er to operate BUTT.....an A/T does create the 'stirring-of-the-loins' like a stick shift and ESPECIALLY a Lenco does !!!!

I 've shared the Grumpy Jenkins video with him do'in  the-4-speed-shuffle before. Mix those two AND Dyno Don and a few more Pro stock drivers in a match race and you will understand why the best years of drag racing all started in the 60's...

Thx Chris for the 'look-back' !
6sal6

Just re-watched(zata-word) the vid and.... it plainly sez its Hubert Platt...DUH !!

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/06/2024 12:09 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/06/2024 2:12 PM  #5

I have those same driving shoes!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/07/2024 8:42 AM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

I do believe that was "Uncle Hubbie"/Hubert Platt in the Smokiest Georgia Shaker putting the ol big block through the RPM 'upper' range. (BIG name in the Southeast BITD...Quite the showman too !! I saw him several times)

Sure A/T are more consistent and quicker shifting, EZ'er to operate BUTT.....an A/T does create the 'stirring-of-the-loins' like a stick shift and ESPECIALLY a Lenco does !!!!

I 've shared the Grumpy Jenkins video with him do'in the-4-speed-shuffle before. Mix those two AND Dyno Don and a few more Pro stock drivers in a match race and you will understand why the best years of drag racing all started in the 60's...

Thx Chris for the 'look-back' !
6sal6

Just re-watched(zata-word) the vid and.... it plainly sez its Hubert Platt...DUH !!

Sal - so many drivers that were adept with a drag racing with a 4-speed, don't forget 'Mr. 4-Speed', Ronnie Sox. Everything changed when the Lenco 4-speed transmission came out, everyone was a 'pro' shifter then. 

3/07/2024 4:49 PM  #7

Growing up all my dad's and uncle's fun cars were always 4 speeds.  Mostly all Chevrolets (though Dad did have a Torino and a '55 T-Bird).  A bunch of Corvettes, a couple Chevelles, an El Camino, and a Camaro.  All 454 or 396 cars except my Dad's first Vette and his last.  Everything would be worth mega bucks today.  Crazy they were just old cars back then.  I grew up with guys shifting their own gears in high powered cars, so to me it just seems wrong not to.

3/08/2024 9:17 AM  #8

There's just something about dropping out the clutch at high RPM, and then running through the gears that just gets to me.  

3/09/2024 4:21 PM  #9

I gotta..."SAVE-THE-STICK" keychain hickey a good friend gimme hanging from my rear view mirror.
(I try to make it swing out to a perfectly horizontal position when I go-thru-the-gears..so far....not so much!)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/09/2024 5:25 PM  #10

I gotta check out that Keychain Sal at the Bash this year. What? Oh wait...nevermind, Sal don't drive to da Bash.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/10/2024 11:19 AM  #11

UUUUHHHHH!!!....you tawk'in to ME ??!
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/10/2024 11:20 AM)

3/12/2024 6:20 AM  #12

I watch that video every time I run across it on Facebook.

3/15/2024 7:18 AM  #13

Gotta love the Wingtips and Cigar!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.