FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2024 6:26 PM  #26

Re: Thinking about subframe connectors...

ponch0v wrote:

I built a set of Daze connectors and really like them.

After looking at the prices of subframe connectors, I'm considering doing the same.
How long did it take to fabricate them?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/23/2024 7:14 PM  #27

TKOPerformance wrote:

First, to really do it correctly the car need to be sitting on its tires.  So this isn't a jack stand job.  I built 4' high stands so I could pick cars up with my 2 post lift and then set them on the stands.  Another option is a 4 post lift.

Second, I would budget an entire day or even a whole weekend just to be safe.  You may find things are tweaked out of true and require some time to correct, etc. 

This will be the challenging part I think... 🤔
Do you think a set of vehicle ramps under the front wheels would work and then a set of vehicle stands under the rear axle would do the job? Other than that, maybe a local mechanical shop would rent me access to their 4 post hoist, but I'm very doubtful of this due to insurances and with how everything is today.

With regards to things being true on the car, I've been extremely fortunate... There's never been any weird tire wear and alignment shops have complimented me on how good my car is, when compared to others they have done.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/24/2024 1:33 AM  #28

seems like the Tinman are a lot like Daze's

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/24/2024 4:58 AM  #29

Toploader wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

First, to really do it correctly the car need to be sitting on its tires.  So this isn't a jack stand job.  I built 4' high stands so I could pick cars up with my 2 post lift and then set them on the stands.  Another option is a 4 post lift.

Second, I would budget an entire day or even a whole weekend just to be safe.  You may find things are tweaked out of true and require some time to correct, etc. 

This will be the challenging part I think... 🤔
Do you think a set of vehicle ramps under the front wheels would work and then a set of vehicle stands under the rear axle would do the job? Other than that, maybe a local mechanical shop would rent me access to their 4 post hoist, but I'm very doubtful of this due to insurances and with how everything is today.

With regards to things being true on the car, I've been extremely fortunate... There's never been any weird tire wear and alignment shops have complimented me on how good my car is, when compared to others they have done.

That would work.  Just make sure you have leathers for when you weld.  Setting yourself on fire isn't as much fun as the movies make it out to be. 

3/24/2024 8:43 AM  #30

Toploader wrote:

BobE wrote:

Suggestion - paint (or coat with something to prevent rusting) at least the top of the subframe connectors prior to installation.  While there is some room to do so after installation, it gets complicated, and one can't see if you've gotten full coverage. 

Good point Bob and I've already been thinking about this one. I would want to coat them in something all over and inside as well. When it came to welding time, this would upset the coating a bit in the welded areas, but I would just re-coat those areas.

The connectors I have did have some coating on them.  After installation, I wiped them off w/alcohol and paint prep, painted them with Rest-Olium brush on.  I did not do the internals.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/24/2024 8:58 AM  #31

Toploader wrote:

ponch0v wrote:

I built a set of Daze connectors and really like them.

After looking at the prices of subframe connectors, I'm considering doing the same.
How long did it take to fabricate them?

IIRC took about an afternoon to fab up. Took my time laying out and made sure all angles were spot on per Daze's diagram. I used a ratchet strap to close up all the angle cuts to help with accuracy prior to welding. They fitted perfect to the car.

Last edited by ponch0v (3/25/2024 9:13 AM)

3/24/2024 1:10 PM  #32

i also used Daze' diagram to make my connectors. Been a while, just remember cutting the angles, tacking it together and test fitting before i welded them completely. I did it before i got my lift and the leathers woiuld have been a blessing. Nothing like hot berries landing on you when welding on the cement under the car.

Last edited by Alan (3/24/2024 1:11 PM)

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

3/24/2024 6:40 PM  #33

When I installed mine I removed the floor beams and extended the connectors all the way forward to where the frame kicks up. Then reinstalled the floor beams to hide them.
The main thing the connectors do is stabilize the front suspension. They need to tie into the seat risers very strongly and into the rear frame rails. This gives the front end max lateral stiffening, as well as vertical.
I always felt the next step would be a bunch angles welded between the new frame and the floor pans. I never got around to that part.
I made the part hidden by the floor beams sit solidly against the beams so there could be no more damage caused by floor jacks bending the beams.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/25/2024 6:32 AM  #34

I've seen subframe connectors done some interesting ways over the years.  The Maximum Motorsports ones on my '89 GT directly support the rear mounting points of the seats.  This corrects/prevents the rear floorpan from being torn due to seat movement.  Obviously this won't work on an early Mustang due to the seat riser at least not without considerable work.

I've seen subframe connectors where there is an X brace between them.  I imagine this adds some additional stiffness, but in the end everything is still being done more or less in a flat plane.  The ultimate chassis stiffener in the end is a roll cage.  Its the only way to truly triangulate all mounting points.

I will say, years ago I read an article where they cut channels through the floorpan and installed the connectors half in, half out of the floor, and tied the floor to the connectors.  The article swore by it, but I doubt its veracity.  Even if it is somewhat better I don't know that its worth all the extra work. 

3/25/2024 7:16 AM  #35

TKOPerformance wrote:

I will say, years ago I read an article where they cut channels through the floorpan and installed the connectors half in, half out of the floor, and tied the floor to the connectors.  The article swore by it, but I doubt its veracity.  Even if it is somewhat better I don't know that its worth all the extra work. 

We did this on a 70 Maverick drag race car and tied in the 6-point roll cage.  We did not include an X-brace.  However, I agree this work is likely not worth the effort, especially for a street car.
There is a company that makes a full frame conversion for early Mustangs, I'm not sure if that it is worth the expense either.

3/26/2024 6:13 AM  #36

BobE wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

We did this on a 70 Maverick drag race car and tied in the 6-point roll cage.  We did not include an X-brace.  However, I agree this work is likely not worth the effort, especially for a street car.
There is a company that makes a full frame conversion for early Mustangs, I'm not sure if that it is worth the expense either.

I've seen similar things on some of those car shows on Motor Trend TV for other makes and models.  My thoughts are that if the car is going to have the kind of power and/or handling ability that requires something like that it needs a roll cage, and renders such a thing unnecessary.  A properly designed cage is going to provide far better bracing that any flat plane frame, AND probably for the same or less weight.  At some point in drag racing you back half the car, but that's mostly for tire clearance and to run a completely different style of rear suspension.  If you need anything beyond that its tube chassis time.  A back halfed car is probably barely streetable and a tube chassis car is likely not legal for street use, so at those points you're pretty far removed from anything like what all of us are driving.  Race cars are fun, but they're single use vehicles and IME everyone I ever knew that had a dedicated race car that wasn't a die hard racer parted ways with it in 5-10 years. 

3/26/2024 6:32 PM  #37

TKO - “dedicated race car that wasn't a die hard racer parted ways with it in 5-10 years.”.  That’s what happened to my partner and I.  Blew an engine, got kicked out of the garage we were renting; and well, life got in the way.  Sold the car and most of the spare part and moved on. 

3/27/2024 6:53 AM  #38

BobE wrote:

TKO - “dedicated race car that wasn't a die hard racer parted ways with it in 5-10 years.”.  That’s what happened to my partner and I.  Blew an engine, got kicked out of the garage we were renting; and well, life got in the way.  Sold the car and most of the spare part and moved on. 

Yep, a buddy of mine had a Nova with a 409 SBC in it that ran 10s.  He had the opportunity to buy a rolling chassis seized by the police.  It was a '92 Firebird, well the roof and maybe the quarters were from a '92 Firebird, the rest was a door car certified to run in the 6s.  Easily $30-$50k in the chassis, he paid $3k.  Dropped the 409 and glide from the Nova in it and went 8s as easy as mowing the lawn.  Sold the Nova and open trailer, used the funds to buy an enclosed trailer.  Hurt the engine.  We tore it down and I found a half dozen cracks in the deck.  He found an uncompleted project engine (632 BBC) and bought if for $6 or $7k, easily $15k worth of parts.  Trouble was going from 600-700HP to 1,500HP required changing a lot (trans, etc.).  In the end, it was in the garage apart for a decade as his business, kids, etc. took precedence.  Ended up selling it for a song with the trailer.  Falls into the category of "fun while it lasted".  The only way I'd do a dedicated race car now would be if one of my kids was super into it and wanted to race.  Otherwise if I can't drive it to the track and drive it home I'm not interested. 

3/27/2024 10:11 AM  #39

Gotta Bud who jumped into Dirt Track racing.
Entry level stuff...his son was the driver. I told him what parts we needed and together we put the "fresh-bullet" together. "Entry level" was a joke!  He sunk a pile of $$ in the car and was just an also ran. The driver was really good butt........when the other guy is spending thousandS and cheating every where possible...(for a couple hundred bucks prize money)
  Although they won a couple and finished in the money a few more times they were out spent big time.
They moved up to Late Model with crate engines later ...butt the fun was over with. (you can cheat in that class too...with sealed crate engines!)
Fun while it lasted.........(I got to drive the race car once when they were 'packing-the-track' before the race  !)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/27/2024 4:39 PM  #40

Yep, its an expensive hobby, and that's all it ever amounts to for most guys.  Dirt tracks are big in southern Delaware, so every machine shop owner has stories about the local legends that were car builders or drivers.  And yep, guys still cheat in claimer classes where you can buy a competitors engine for a set fee (usually like $5,000 to discourage cheating).  Of course if you've got the money to cheat you don't care about taking a loss on the engine you might have to sell. 

I remember Smokey Yunick talking about how it didn't take any skill to spend a pile of money on a winning car that had all kinds of illegal stuff going on.  At first they had no way to check displacement, so guys would just bore and stroke the heck out of the engine (even going so far as to sleeve every cylinder).  Porting, bigger valves, bigger cams, etc.  Eventually they got wise and figured out ways to test everything, but guys like Smokey still got creative (no porting didn't mean no painting & sanding the paint smooth, and 30 coats later the heads were ported but still technically legal at least in Smokey's eyes!). 

Truth is for most guys it becomes frustrating and expensive.  Gong fast is fun.  Breaking expensive parts every trip to the track less so, especially since it usually means a DNF. 

3/29/2024 2:56 PM  #41

I also made the Daze connectors.   Agree to cutting the angles and test fitting prior to welding them up. 

I added I think it was 1/2 plate to both sides on the Daze connectors at the end that fits into the front frame rail.   I also added two 1/2 inserts that can be used to bolt something down like a custom trans cross member or driveshaft safety loop.   I think I even added a plate on the rear torque box to tie the connectors in better. 

The only negative I can think of to the Daze connectors are that they hang lower at the rear torque box.  If one wanted side exhaust then the Daze connectors may not be the best option.    I also installed mine while the floor was cut out which made installing them a little easier.

3/30/2024 5:21 AM  #42

It's looking more like I will need to go with the Tinman subframe connectors, so I will look at options with these.

Last edited by Toploader (3/30/2024 5:26 AM)

3/30/2024 6:37 AM  #43

Toploader wrote:

It's looking more like I will need to go with the Tinman subframe connectors, so I will look at options with these.

got my Tinmans at Summit Racing

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.