FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2024 12:56 AM  #1

Door window alignment - Opinions please

As per my previous post, I found the task of aligning the windows to be a real pain in the tookus. I am still not sure if they are at an acceptable standard, so I wanted to post some pictures here and get your opinions on them please. Please also feel free to post some pictures of your door glass and how it aligns so that I can compare. Thanks!

Last edited by Toploader (3/17/2024 12:58 AM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/17/2024 8:22 AM  #2

Re: Door window alignment - Opinions please

As far as the alignment you asking about, I didn’t have any issues and am using all the OEM window mechanisms, frames, etc. that came on my Fastback.  Although all the rubber, and felts, have been updated.
If I can also ask for assistance on getting the upper door window to seal better; how much should the upper door glass insert into the rubber seal?
I’ve been following the Ford Shop Manual to make adjustments and am wondering if they is some tricks people have used to get a better seal.
(Toploader - I apologize for jumping into your post)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/17/2024 3:10 PM  #3

Can you post a picture of your door glass Bob? I'd love to see some photos of other people's 65/66 models to compare.
With window up adjustment, I think I've done the maximum up possible on mine.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/18/2024 7:00 AM  #4

Toploader wrote:

Can you post a picture of your door glass Bob? I'd love to see some photos of other people's 65/66 models to compare.
With window up adjustment, I think I've done the maximum up possible on mine.

Sure, I'll post soon. 

3/18/2024 7:32 AM  #5

Here you go.  If you send me your email address on a PM, I'll forward these and couple of others that may be easier for you to focus in on your computer. 
As can be seen in the vent window picture, I did replace the all the rubber seals in the original frames.  I did this a number of years ago, the rubber fits tight making the driver's vent window difficult to open. 
Hope this helps. 

Last edited by BobE (3/18/2024 7:36 AM)

3/19/2024 6:35 AM  #6

Thanks Bob! Your windows look pretty good too.
Do you have a photo looking down at where the vent glass assembly sits against the door, like this photo? The reproductions create this gap that I can't adjust out, so some black automotive sealant will need to be used I think.

Last edited by Toploader (3/19/2024 6:36 AM)

3/19/2024 1:37 PM  #7

I took two shots, from front and back.  There is no gap at the location that you highlighted. 
I realize that with the dark green paint it may be difficult to see, let me know if you need more pictures. 
I'm not sure why these pictures are so big.

Last edited by BobE (3/19/2024 1:39 PM)

3/19/2024 2:33 PM  #8

Thanks Bob!
That's how my original ones sat. I guess it's the repop quality control that causes the gap on mine...

3/19/2024 3:25 PM  #9

Wish my 'winderz' fit that good !
I had to compromise and I leave the window down just a crack on the DS. Once door is shut I give the handle a twist and it seals out the air leaks as well as a hardtop can seal 'em. The only time I get a whistle is when the wind blows hard on the side of the car (or a big truck passes) I get a little noise.
(They will never seal up as well as a sedan...)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/20/2024 2:43 AM  #10

Here's the latest... I applied some sealant to fill in the gap. It's annoying that I had to do this and I do hope it looks ok... Opinions anyone?

3/20/2024 7:03 AM  #11

Toploader - looks fine to me.  Unless you're having it judged at some high end car show, apply the 50 foot rule. 

3/20/2024 3:58 PM  #12

You'd be OUT of the final four at Pebble Beach....
It's fine
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/21/2024 1:52 AM  #13

Thanks Bob and thanks Sal, I appreciate the encouragement and feedback 🙂

3/25/2024 11:56 AM  #14

If it doesn’t whistle at 70, doesn’t leak water except from a direct blast at the car wash,  and all the edges are parallel with the adjoining door parts and A-pillar, you are good to go.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/28/2024 6:58 AM  #15

MS wrote:

If it doesn’t whistle at 70, doesn’t leak water except from a direct blast at the car wash,  and all the edges are parallel with the adjoining door parts and A-pillar, you are good to go.

Thanks MS! It was a real pain in the butt job aligning everything, but I feel confident that I have a good result.
There's still quite the bruise on my left forearm from working on the doors.

Last edited by Toploader (3/29/2024 6:15 AM)

3/28/2024 5:38 PM  #16

Always use at least two layers of masking tape wrapped on the edges of the door access holes.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/29/2024 10:56 AM  #17

When I did my seal replacments on my coupe, I waited two years for the rubber to settle in, then I tweeking my glass using a piece of paper in the seals and got them as tight as I could, seamed to help.
I do think that we as owners of classics can except out of ajustments and small flaws with our cars, after all there almost as old as we are.

Last edited by Cab4word67 (3/29/2024 11:03 AM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/30/2024 5:18 AM  #18

Cab4word67 wrote:

I do think that we as owners of classics can except out of ajustments and small flaws with our cars, after all there almost as old as we are.

I reckon I agree with this 🙂

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.