FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2024 10:06 AM  #1

Speaking of classic Mustangs....

Who'da thunk  FIFTY-FOUR years ago......when I was a strapping 17/18 year old...looking through the Ford dealership window..that I would have one of the "new Mustangs" all cammed up with open headers.... driving it around town enjoying 'the-fruits-of-my-labor' as it were !!
I was probably listening to the hit song......Funny how Time just Slips Away by Billy Walker.
I darn sure wasn't looking around for gasoline under 350 per gal. !!
(Heck...I sold a car because "I refuse to pay 50 cent a gallon for hi-test gas")
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/30/2024 2:01 PM  #2

Re: Speaking of classic Mustangs....

I think Hi-Test was Ethyl out here.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/30/2024 5:13 PM  #3

No BB2, Sal was DATING Ethyl.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/30/2024 5:16 PM  #4

WELP (THX rpm)......at least Bakersfield had Buck Owens walkin-the-skreets. There's that
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/31/2024 7:36 AM  #5

6sally6 wrote:

Who'da thunk FIFTY-FOUR years ago......when I was a strapping 17/18 year old...looking through the Ford dealership window..that I would have one of the "new Mustangs" all cammed up with open headers.... driving it around town enjoying 'the-fruits-of-my-labor' as it were !!

I can remember taking walks down to the Ford dealer during "noon hour" when I was in high school.  They had a 289 Cobra in the showroom.  One of the salesmen came over and warned me not to lean on it because it was all aluminum.  Beautiful car.  sigh. 

The Mustangs were OK but most of the high schoolers spurned them - they were thought of as "secretary's cars" or "gussied up Falcons".

I remember going to the drag races at Great Lakes Dragaway with parents.  I remember seeing all the Mustangs that raced lose spectacularly. 

Never thought I'd own one though.

Last edited by John Ha (3/31/2024 7:45 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/31/2024 11:58 AM  #6

I grew up just wishing I could afford an old mustang during the 80’s.  Don’t ever think I made any choices based on gas prices.  I built an 1979 F250 with a 460 and daily drive that thing to work.  It was a 40-45 minute drive to work and then again back home.

3/31/2024 12:23 PM  #7

54 Years ago, I was at the DMV getting my drivers license in moms Mustang. Would still ride my sting ray bike down to the Blinking Owl Saloon to listen to Buck Owens and the Buckeroos outside the door .

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

3/31/2024 12:34 PM  #8

Keep in mind I'm a bit younger than ya'll, I grew up in a Chevy family, though, the first cool car I remember my Dad owning was a '55 T-Bird he had restored (I found some pics he must have took during the resto after he passed).  Having a 3rd vehicle that was fun and working on it was just what I was raised to believe men did.  It would be high school before I realized how many men of my generation were auto illiterate.  I started spinning wrenches on cars and boats when I was about 10.  Dad liked that I could get in places he couldn't (I got his hands, so I definitely understand that now).  We had a 29' Scaraab that used to tear up the impeller for the water to the heat exchangers.  Royal PITA for a regular sized man, BUT for a modest sized kid it was much easier. 

Like I said, mostly Dad, my uncle (who lived in the farm house of the old farm on which I grew up (and where I still live)), and even our neighbors were all Chevy guys.  Round about 12 I started going to the Atlantic City Car Show every year with my dad, and often my uncle and/or neighbor.  I just gravitated to the Mustangs more than the Camaros.  Maybe it was because I knew I wasn't getting a Vette for my first car (money nonwithstanding that would have been a hard no from Dad), and Chevelles seemed too big.  I just liked the look of the Mustang, especially the '67-'68 Shelbys, which I knew I'd never afford (even back then).  The rest I suppose is history.  The good news was these weren't new cars when I bought mine in '91 or '92.  I'd been banking money since I was born (half of all money from every birthday went in the bank), and had been working since I was 12.  I bought what I could afford and made it better as I had time and money.  I used every birthday and Christmas to get car parts.  Dad did pay to paint the car (provided I had a 3.0 or better my junior year), but everything else I did myself and paid for myself. 

RTM, I never made a choice based on gas mileage either.  I read somewhere (might have been a David Freibuger issue of Car Craft or Hot Rod) that said if your sole bragging point about your car is its gas mileage your car sucks and you secretly hate it. 

3/31/2024 1:39 PM  #9

6sally6 wrote:

(Heck...I sold a car because "I refuse to pay 50 cent a gallon for hi-test gas")
6sally6

THIS^^ is a real testament of  'shortsightedness' !
It was 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T....canary yellow  w/blk stripes...383/335 HP ..blk vinyl top (A real hoss)
I traded in my 64 Falcon Sprint 260/4 speed + 1200 bux  for it. (duhhh!)
Living proof the human brangs go sound asleep while our body continues to function !
Oh well...

3/31/2024 2:38 PM  #10

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6

THIS^^ is a real testament of  'shortsightedness' !
It was 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T....canary yellow  w/blk stripes...383/335 HP ..blk vinyl top (A real hoss)
I traded in my 64 Falcon Sprint 260/4 speed + 1200 bux  for it. (duhhh!)
Living proof the human brangs go sound asleep while our body continues to function !
Oh well...

Uh...I don't like you no more Sally.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/31/2024 4:36 PM  #11

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6

THIS^^ is a real testament of 'shortsightedness' !
It was 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T....canary yellow w/blk stripes...383/335 HP ..blk vinyl top (A real hoss)
I traded in my 64 Falcon Sprint 260/4 speed + 1200 bux for it. (duhhh!)
Oh well...

Uh...I don't like you no more Sally.

And I'm having second thoughts also Sal.
While looking for my second US car in the 90s, I found a 70 hemi challenger with a siezed engine for 15 grand. The bank manager wouldn't go for that, so I ended up with 2 $2000 mustang coupes.
It didn't help that until the car was 30 yrs old, it was liable to import duties and taxes that would've doubled the price.

Last edited by 50vert (3/31/2024 4:39 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.