FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2024 4:34 AM  #1

ZRay Cross Member

I've ordered the ZRay crossmember. It will take a few weeks to arrive, but when it does, I will update everyone and give some feedback.
I ordered the option with the jack pad and really look forward to that being a place to lift the front of the vehicle.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/06/2024 10:26 AM  #2

Re: ZRay Cross Member

I made my own engine crossmember (with a jack pad) to allow the motor to suit lower. I had seen the Shelby crossmember but didn't like its look. This was back before Zray was selling his, and I built mine from 1½ X .180 wall chromo tube for about a third of Zrays price. While I have used the jack pad it's more of a pita to drive the car on a couple of 2x6s to get it high enough to slide the floor jack in from the front. I usually jack from the front torque boxes.i also tied the crossmember into the LCA mounting bolt, which might help keep things in place.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/06/2024 11:24 AM  #3

I put z/ray / w /pad  on last month.   Had to extend frame bolt holes on brace to 0.25 inch each side.  Also be sure to use the correct bolts to frame.  

Last edited by Don (4/06/2024 11:24 AM)

4/06/2024 8:45 PM  #4

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

I made my own engine crossmember (with a jack pad) to allow the motor to suit lower. I had seen the Shelby crossmember but didn't like its look. This was back before Zray was selling his, and I built mine from 1½ X .180 wall chromo tube for about a third of Zrays price. While I have used the jack pad it's more of a pita to drive the car on a couple of 2x6s to get it high enough to slide the floor jack in from the front. I usually jack from the front torque boxes.i also tied the crossmember into the LCA mounting bolt, which might help keep things in place.

I really look forward to the jack pad probably the most. So many times I've just wanted to lift the front quickly to do something.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/06/2024 8:48 PM  #5

Don wrote:

I put z/ray / w /pad  on last month.   Had to extend frame bolt holes on brace to 0.25 inch each side.  Also be sure to use the correct bolts to frame.  

Nice! Did you notice much of a difference with it tightening up the front end?
Does the crossmember come with instructions?
I wonder if your front end was out of whack for you to be required to modify the bolt holes?

4/06/2024 9:39 PM  #6

Toploader wrote:

Don wrote:

Nice! Did you notice much of a difference with it tightening up the front end?
Does the crossmember come with instructions?
I wonder if your front end was out of whack for you to be required to modify the bolt holes?

zray crossmember instruction are very detailed and mentioned hole might need adjusting.  I didn't notice any improvement over stock brace but last year  I did add a upper cowl brace over the stock set up.  This added noticeable improvement to structure. Took car in for a correct radial tire alignment,, and now car tracks great and true at 70 mph.  Having lower crossmember and upper support braces ties structure together.       

4/06/2024 9:50 PM  #7

Don wrote:

zray crossmember instruction are very detailed and mentioned hole might need adjusting.  I didn't notice any improvement over stock brace but last year  I did add a upper cowl brace over the stock set up.  This added noticeable improvement to structure. Took car in for a correct radial tire alignment,, and now car tracks great and true at 70 mph.  Having lower crossmember and upper support braces ties structure together. 

I have a 1" sway bar and the Montecarlo bar. I'm not too familiar with the upper cowl brace. Do you have a photo?
I tried fitting an export brace, but it interfered with the cobra air filter, so I'm sticking with the stock braces that Ford provided.

4/07/2024 7:07 AM  #8

Toploader wrote:

Don wrote:

I have a 1" sway bar and the Montecarlo bar. I'm not too familiar with the upper cowl brace. Do you have a photo?
I tried fitting an export brace, but it interfered with the cobra air filter, so I'm sticking with the stock braces that Ford provided.

yep cowl brace = x port brace ,,, I bought one off cj poney,  It came with hyme (SP?) joints because I couldn't get a factory x port brace to fit,,, tried everything, long story.   I did  lock down joints.  Yep I did a engineering stucture analysis after all the noted on web issues of hyme joints movements.  My car is a daily driver/hw cruiser.  The spec limits/requirements I used are lower.   

Last edited by Don (4/07/2024 7:17 AM)

4/07/2024 8:36 AM  #9

Before I went to the MII front end, I'd lift the front end on the crossmember with a wooden block using two 3/4" plywood screwed together.  The bottom piece fit into my floor jack, an top was cut in a 'V' shape that fit the crossmember, worked great, just saying. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/07/2024 8:48 AM  #10

Surprised you did not just notch a hockey puck BobE.

I like the plywood idea too.

Last edited by Nos681 (4/07/2024 8:49 AM)

4/07/2024 10:42 AM  #11

Toploader wrote:

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

I really look forward to the jack pad probably the most. So many times I've just wanted to lift the front quickly to do something.

With your 65 that sits higher, and no front spoiler, you shouldn't have any problems getting the jack under there.

Last edited by RPM, aka Bearing Bob (4/08/2024 9:59 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/08/2024 7:40 AM  #12

Nos681 wrote:

Surprised you did not just notch a hockey puck BobE.

I like the plywood idea too.

All the hockey pucks I had are long gone.  But, I have plenty of wood scarps hanging around! 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.