FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2014 11:49 AM  #1

Anyone running an oil separator on their classic Mustang?

Newer Mustangs use an oil separator canister in the hose between the PCV valve and the vacuum source.  Seems like this would be a good thing to have.  Anyone using one on their classic?

It would make sense though, if one was installed, it should have a small drain line to take oil back to the crankcase rather than having to remove it and drain it occasionally.  This seems like something that would work if you had valve covers with no baffle in them.

I have thought for many years about making such an apparatus, but now it seems Ford has already done it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/28/2014 11:56 AM  #2

Re: Anyone running an oil separator on their classic Mustang?

No, but does sounds like a good idea. Would that be something similar to a water separator on an air compressor?

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/28/2014 12:28 PM  #3

Same idea.  They run about $119 at the places that sell late model stuff, like American Muscle.

1/28/2014 1:47 PM  #4

I've wondered about that myself. 

I have one on my '13 and have seen them advertised on late model Mustang sites too.  To me that is just one more 'thing' to have on the car.  What is its utility.  what does removing a gram or so of oil from the intake every week do for my car?  I wonder if it something that reduces emissions another tenth of one percent. 

I will leave commentary to others.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/28/2014 2:35 PM  #5

The oil consumption on my 68 is so low that I wonder if there is a problem.
In my case why would I need that?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/28/2014 4:32 PM  #6

I was thinking it would be an easy solution for the guy that installs roller rockers then figures out his valve cover baffles don't clear.  He could add one of those instead so the engine doesn't suck oil.

I agree with ONEMORETHINGTOGOWRONG, but it might have a use in that case.

1/29/2014 12:14 AM  #7

Saw this online on how to make one for less than the $120 they sell for - you could change the design to incorporate an oil return line, I suppose, or make it with different materials.

http://www.y8s.com/celica_gone/air-oil/

Once I redid my baffle inside my valve cover due to the roller rocker contacting issue, I noticed a marked reduction in my oil usage, and no more smokey exhaust when idling for a long time (like in a parade - gets embarrassing).

Last edited by Ron68 (1/29/2014 12:20 AM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/29/2014 9:14 AM  #8

1/29/2014 2:16 PM  #9

Semper Fi

1/29/2014 5:31 PM  #10

Faolan, that looks like an industrial oil separator that I am beeting you can get from Grainger's or McMaster-Carr for alot less than that.  It would do the job, but billet looks cool!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.