FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2014 11:07 PM  #1

65 quick steer revisited

If I had a lift I would likely be able to flesh this out myself, but I don't.  It has been said that the only reason you cannot use the Shelby manual steering quick steer idler and pitman arm on a factory power steeriing car is because to use them you would put the steering ram pivot points in a bind.

Surely there must be others with factory power steering, that are tired of reeling in yards of steering wheel, who have the capability to determine a satisfactory remounting point for the ram.  It either can be or can't be remounted so that there is no stress in the full traverse of the steering. The question is how far and in what direction to move the mount bracket.  It is just a matter of angles.

Furthermore, with all the experimentations and modifications that are done on early Mustangs, I cannot believe that the purveyors of these parts, or capable hobbyists have not examined and documented this.  They would certainly sell a lot more Quick Steer Kits.

My power steering works just fine and being able to use the Quick Steer components would be a much easier and economical way to make that steering  more friendly.

Last edited by boomyal (4/01/2014 11:12 PM)

4/02/2014 12:41 PM  #2

Re: 65 quick steer revisited

After having looked at a power steering equipped 289 65 Mustang the other day, I would think the problem is the driver side tie rod would wind up interfering with the body of the control valve.  Youwould be moving the valve and center link forward, and there is already precious little room for the tie rods and adjusting sleeve to clear the valve.  Hence the weird tie rod end on P/S cars.  I would think this would be a great mod to do if it would clear.  Tie rods can be BENT, just like anything else can be modified, so let us know how it turns out.

Or, make a road trip, bring it over and we'll stick it on the lift and figure it out.

I am thinking that Borgeson box thing is the way to go...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/02/2014 2:18 PM  #3

MustangSteve wrote:

......Or, make a road trip, bring it over and we'll stick it on the lift and figure it out.

Hey, yeah!  We could stop off and see our daughter in Lubbock.  On second thought, Mrs B would not like the wind in her hair for a trip like that.

4/02/2014 2:41 PM  #4

boomyal wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

......Or, make a road trip, bring it over and we'll stick it on the lift and figure it out.

Hey, yeah!  We could stop off and see our daughter in Lubbock.  On second thought, Mrs B would not like the wind in her hair for a trip like that.

HEY!! Our wives may be related!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/02/2014 5:29 PM  #5

6sally6 wrote:

boomyal wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

HEY!! Our wives may be related!
6sal6

Long lost sisters, prolly!

4/02/2014 5:36 PM  #6

As a side, but related story, a number of years ago I drove my Suburban (pulling my boat) from Vancouver WA down to Lake Shasta, CA.  Accompanying me were  4 northwester friends. (I hail from So Cal).  It was a near record heat spell.  I drove the distance with my windows open, just loving the heat, with accompanying wind, that we rarely see.

It wasn't until near time for the return trip that my passengers expressed their intention to mutiny if I did not agree with using the A/C on the return trip.  That was the first I heard of the dissatisfaction with my love of the road and weather.  They never uttered a peep on the way there.

4/03/2014 3:07 PM  #7

boomyal wrote:

If I had a lift I would likely be able to flesh this out myself, but I don't.  It has been said that the only reason you cannot use the Shelby manual steering quick steer idler and pitman arm on a factory power steeriing car is because to use them you would put the steering ram pivot points in a bind.

I had the quick steer components on my '66 with factory power steering (except it had a drop bracket on the end of the ram that attached to the frame) and it worked fine.  

I have an extra quick steer pitman arm and idler arm. Would you like to borrow them for test fitting/experimenting? I could ship them to you and when you're done you can ship them back (or maybe we can work out a purchase deal if it works).

Send me an email if you're interested - it's in a PM I sent you a bit ago.

Last edited by John Ha (4/04/2014 7:50 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/03/2014 8:42 PM  #8

I'm prolly gonna either do borgeson or rack and pinion on my 65.  I like the factory PS except when it comes to 70 mph down the interstate and you get in the path that the semis have caused and it pretty much throws you all over.  

4/03/2014 8:48 PM  #9

terry wrote:

I'm prolly gonna either do borgeson or rack and pinion on my 65.  I like the factory PS except when it comes to 70 mph down the interstate and you get in the path that the semis have caused and it pretty much throws you all over.  

Sounds like an alignment issue to me.  Mine is rock solid, even in the ruts caused by studded tires. It was not always so until I found this web site and met a saavy front end guy.   I'm just tired of having to reel in yards of steering wheel when I make more than a minor turn.

Furthermore, I do not relish spending $800+ to accomplish what could possibly be done for a fraction of that.

Last edited by boomyal (4/03/2014 8:50 PM)

4/04/2014 5:41 AM  #10

well boom I guess I need your alignment guru!  It was aligned to factory specs or so the computers said!  I dont have any issues on 2 lane roads!  its just the ruts in the interstate that causes problems

4/04/2014 10:26 AM  #11

terry wrote:

well boom I guess I need your alignment guru!  It was aligned to factory specs or so the computers said!  I dont have any issues on 2 lane roads!  its just the ruts in the interstate that causes problems

Terry, look and ask around your area for a guy who does hot rods and custom cars, ie, someone who really knows his business.  This guy I found and have become good friends with, is about 66 y/o, does not have one of those fancy digital racks and even has new car dealers sending him vehicles that they cannot figure out the problems for.

I have come to see that most of today's tire and alignment shops are a total rip off.  That being said, you need someone who understands the old suspension systems and knows how to massage them. Additionally, factory specs are worthless on today's early Mustangs.  They were used to accomodate bias ply tires and to keep secretaries from loosing the rear end, in tight turns.  That is a great combination to have your car go where it wants, not where you want it to.

Build in 3 (minimum) to 4° of positive caster and you'll flying like a dart. Also you want a neg. 1/2 to 0 degrees of camber and 1/16 to 1/8" tow in. 

Other things I did to mine was the Arning Drop, the UCA shaft offset, using roller perches offset (outward) 3/4" and a roller idler arm.  I have new KYB GR2 shocks, stock springs and 185/75 R14 Michelin Radials. Also it goes without saying that all of my ball joints and bushings are in good shape.

Last edited by boomyal (4/04/2014 10:27 AM)

4/04/2014 4:21 PM  #12

I doubt there is any cure for bad handling on the truck wash in the highways, other than to take a different road.  Even my newest vehicles have problems when there are truck ruts.

4/04/2014 4:43 PM  #13

MustangSteve wrote:

...... bad handling on the truck wash in the highways......, .

I didn't understand Terry to mean 'truck wash', although re-reading his post it is plain enough.  I thought he was talking about the wear on the road surface due to truck traffic.  Even so, I can't say I have any signicant experience, in my Mustang, with truck wash but I do know that they just cause a slight deflection when I am in my slab sided E150.

.....But then.....maybe the air is a lot denser down there in Tejas?

4/04/2014 8:09 PM  #14

boomyal wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

...... bad handling on the truck wash in the highways......, .

I didn't understand Terry to mean 'truck wash', although re-reading his post it is plain enough.  I thought he was talking about the wear on the road surface due to truck traffic.  Even so, I can't say I have any signicant experience, in my Mustang, with truck wash but I do know that they just cause a slight deflection when I am in my slab sided E150.

.....But then.....maybe the air is a lot denser down there in Tejas?

Hhhmmmmmmmmmm??!! I THOUGHT T was talking about the "ditches" those big(prolly overloaded) tractor/trailers carve in the asphalt.......not the hurricane force wind they produce when trying to go around them.
The "road-ditch deal"......yeah a good alignment with max caster and toe Boom reccommended "helps" with the snatch&wander the worn out roads cause butt.......it won't go away.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/04/2014 8:40 PM  #15

Boom, I bet those sensibly sized 185/75 R14 Michelin Radials have more to do with the straight line capabilities than any of that other stuff.  Those of us who succumbed to the BIGGER IS BETTER theory with wheels and tires have to pay the price for "the look".

And John Ha may be onto something with that lowered ram mount on the frame.  I bet it positions the ram down far enough so it doesn't hit the tie rod adjusting sleeve in normal driving.  Maybe that is why his works and the normal one doesn't?

Truck wash is what I heard those ruts from big trucks being called around here.  I guess you up-north guys use that term for turbulence?  Either way, its an uneven road !

Last edited by MustangSteve (4/04/2014 8:42 PM)

4/04/2014 10:12 PM  #16

MustangSteve wrote:

Boom, I bet those sensibly sized 185/75 R14 Michelin Radials have more to do with the straight line capabilities than any of that other stuff.  Those of us who succumbed to the BIGGER IS BETTER theory with wheels and tires have to pay the price for "the look".

I arrived at my current status in 4 different steps, over 30 years.  The first was the Michelin radials,

Second was a factory alignment, along with new bushings and ball joints.  There was no improvement in the abysmal handling.

The third was the Arning Drop, new KYB GR2 shocks and a 2 ish ° caster alignment. This was a great improvement. 

The fourth was the offsetting of the UCA shaft and increasing the caster to 3+°, the installation of roller perches (offset outward by 3/4") and the installation of a roller idler arm. This last change really made the convertible feel like a modern sports car.  No doubt the smaller wheels and tires, with the ancient suspension play a significant roll in all this.

MustangSteve wrote:

And John Ha may be onto something with that lowered ram mount on the frame.  I bet it positions the ram down far enough so it doesn't hit the tie rod adjusting sleeve in normal driving.  Maybe that is why his works and the normal one doesn't?

I'm glad you brought this up.  I willl get a lowered ram mount to have on hand when I do the mock up to check the angles.  I think they are cheap enough.

MustangSteve wrote:

Truck wash is what I heard those ruts from big trucks being called around here.  I guess you up-north guys use that term for turbulence?  Either way, its an uneven road ! 

Gotcha!  I guess I read Terry right the first time.  If he has bigger tires and wheels, at least some of the changes I have made would be all the more important.

4/04/2014 11:09 PM  #17

I am fighting the same problem with freeway driving. I was just getting ready to buy a new steering box from Chockostang. Been thinking my rebuilt box was messed up. (Box was rebuilt by a reputable company (Red Head in Seattle) Works great on two lane roads and on the track. I was thinking of trying smaller tires on the front for the street. I was also planning on buying new tires for summer and track (Bridgestone RE11-A) 225/50/16. Now I don't know what to do?!?!?! I want the car to work better on the freeway and better on the track. Below is my list of upgrades:

66 coupe, 289, Edelbrock carb, Weiand 8011 intake, Pertronix Ignition, Hipo exhaust manifolds, 2" dual exhaust, WC T5 trans, 3.40 gears, KH 11" front disc, Hawk HPS pads, stock rear drums, 1" front sway bar, rubber bushings, Shelby quick steer kit, GT progressive rate coils, 4.5 leaf mid-eye, KYB Gas-A-Just front & GR-2 rear, export brace, Monti-Carlo bar, Global West sub-frame connectors, performance alignment, 16" x 7" wheels, 215/55/16 and 225/55/16 Toyo Proxes4 tires

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

4/04/2014 11:34 PM  #18

ponyboy66 wrote:

I am fighting the same problem with freeway driving. I was just getting ready to buy a new steering box from Chockostang. Been thinking my rebuilt box was messed up. (Box was rebuilt by a reputable company (Red Head in Seattle) Works great on two lane roads and on the track. I was thinking of trying smaller tires on the front for the street. I was also planning on buying new tires for summer and track (Bridgestone RE11-A) 225/50/16. Now I don't know what to do?!?!?! I want the car to work better on the freeway and better on the track. Below is my list of upgrades:

If I change the front tires which would have more positive affect: skinnier tires or different tread design.
BTW: alignment is 5.5  positive caster, -0.5 camber and between, 1/8 and 1/16 inch toe in.

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

4/05/2014 7:42 AM  #19

terry wrote:

Terry, forget factory specs... you need at least 3.5 of positive caster.

jerry

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.