FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2014 2:26 PM  #1

What's a good underhood paint

I wanna paint my engine compartment. I'm pretty sure I want a satin sheen on my application. I've Hurd good things about vht paint duplicolor and krylon and rustoleum. I was thinking of using vht satin for the engine bay, then to be different I'm going to paint in between my edelbrock finned valve covers vht ford blue

Last edited by True74yamaha (4/26/2014 4:26 PM)

4/26/2014 2:55 PM  #2

Re: What's a good underhood paint

I used Rustoleum semi gloss and it is just fine now.  Oh, that was in 1989.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/26/2014 3:57 PM  #3

lowercasesteve wrote:

I used Rustoleum semi gloss and it is just fine now.  Oh, that was in 1989.

X2, Rustoleum 7777.  Looks fine, lasts a long time, easy to touch up any scratches.

BB saving MS the need  to reply here.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/26/2014 4:17 PM  #4

I used a PlastiCote high temp paint in a rattle can.  They make a satin, semi gloss and a flat version.  I biught all three and did a test panel on a piece of sheet metal.  Picked the one I liked and sprayed it and it looks great.  I had to touch some up the other day where some big gouges were put in it by some guy with a sawzall.  Sanded them with some 180 and sprayed and you cannot tell it was redone.

Rustoleum is a great paint to use also.  BUT, if you have the least bit of oil or grease it will fisheye pretty bad.  I would only use it if I was doing a total cleanup and repaint. It does last forever.  I had it on mine for a long time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/26/2014 4:29 PM  #5

Awesome guys thanks I'll probably pick up some satin rustoleum from work today then. Any suggestions on what to use on the grille? Wasn't it like a blue shade from factory?

4/27/2014 10:37 AM  #6

Hello, I am just about to have my engine out and plan on painting my engine bay as well. I have ordered a product from mastercraft AH 111, a chasis kit I am going to use on my floor boards/trunk, and I was thinking I would use this on the engine bay as well, its claims its super hard epoxy and chemical resistant, has anyone ever used this on an engine bay before?

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

4/27/2014 5:16 PM  #7

I used VHT satin black epoxy.  Here's a link (although I ordered mine from Oreiley's): http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP652-Satin-Black-Weather/dp/B000CPIN34

I'm very happy with it and it is very resistant to solvents and pretty tough stuff.  Plus it goes on well and dries quickly. 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/27/2014 7:31 PM  #8

devovino wrote:

Hello, I am just about to have my engine out and plan on painting my engine bay as well. I have ordered a product from mastercraft AH 111, a chasis kit I am going to use on my floor boards/trunk, and I was thinking I would use this on the engine bay as well, its claims its super hard epoxy and chemical resistant, has anyone ever used this on an engine bay before?

That paint maybe super hard but with super hard comes super chips!!  If you bump the inner fender putting that engine back in and chip the paint how will it be to fix that??  best thing about those rattle can sprays is they are easy to fix and are fairly durable

Used rustoleum satin black!!

Last edited by terry (4/27/2014 7:31 PM)

4/27/2014 9:26 PM  #9

devovino wrote:

I did the whole underside of my car in the silver and the AG 111 satin black.   Very hapy with how it turned out.  I used foam brushes and both the silver and the satin leveled out and the end results looks almost sprayed. Very hard surface and solvent resistant, AND UV resistant (unlike POR15).  I also primed my engine compartment with the silver before using the VHT I referenced.  Did a light sanding after the silver with 320 grit paper, wiped it down w/ laquer thinner and shot it with the VHT.  Looks great.  BTW, the VHT satin is almost a dead ringer for the AG 111 satin so if I need to touch it up I can use the VHT.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/28/2014 5:25 AM  #10

Awesome thanks everyone for the replies. No my next thing is what color should I do the grille? I was told stock they were some sort of a blue gray. I've seen a few in satin black looks good kinda makes the chrome pop a little. Any suggestions?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.