FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2014 9:23 PM  #1

New problem cropped up...

Washed the car and the windshield wipers would not cut OFF until after I got the car home and let it dry out.  Thnking SWITCH problem...  What do you guys think?  (or even better, KNOW).

Cannot duplicate the problem with the car in the garage dried out.  And the switch itself is not getting wet...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/30/2014 9:48 PM  #2

Re: New problem cropped up...

My best guess is the wiper motor. Not going to park
Howard

4/30/2014 10:16 PM  #3

Sounds like the wiper motor park circuit switch. Is that the original motor? Also, we need video of you trying to make the wipers stop.

4/30/2014 10:42 PM  #4

The wipers can't park until the switch is off and the wipers stop. If they parked once they stopped wiping, I would think switch too.

4/30/2014 11:23 PM  #5

Try electrical contact cleaner on switch (NAPA has spray can) . Also It will clean and remove moisture on motors connectors. Also soak down the motor it wont hurt the windings or stator surfaces.  

Last edited by Don (4/30/2014 11:27 PM)

5/01/2014 12:35 AM  #6

Hornman wrote:

Also, we need video of you trying to make the wipers stop.

X2

5/01/2014 4:52 AM  #7

Every time a contact opens up an electrical arch starts to develop across the opening. This happens until the contact opens far enough and the arch goes away. Over time that arch starts to damage the contact. Probably what happens is that arch partially welded your contact shut. After some time the spring tension in the contact broke that weld and the contact opened up. This is when your wipers shut off. Let's hope it has nothing to do with water or you have bigger problems.
     I agree with the guys that it is probably in park switch but this could also happen in the on/off switch as well. This will probably rear its ugly head again. If it does (this check is for a 2 speed motor) there are 2 green wires on the wiper motor that go to the park switch. Pull of one of those wires off. If the wipers stop, the problem is in the park switch. If they continue to run it's the on/off switch. If it’s a water problem call a plumber.

Last edited by wsinsle (5/01/2014 5:56 AM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/01/2014 11:16 AM  #8

Please provide more information.

Is your car a fastback or hardtop, what year, what engine/trans/rearend ratio, disc or drum brakes, standard or delux interior, interior color, body color, plain or tinted windows, does it have air conditioning, wheel/tire size, and most importantly....has ANYONE been messing with it lately?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/01/2014 12:13 PM  #9

Bullet Bob wrote:

Please provide more information.

Is your car a fastback or hardtop, what year, what engine/trans/rearend ratio, disc or drum brakes, standard or delux interior, interior color, body color, plain or tinted windows, does it have air conditioning, wheel/tire size, and most importantly....has ANYONE been messing with it lately?

BB

OK, Bullet... You nailed me on that one !!!!!
Dang... I ask ONE QUESTION in 15 years of having this forum and I forget the rules...

I have a two-speed wiper setup I have been hoarding for about 20 years now, so I guess it is finally time to upgrade my single speed setup to dual speed.  I also still have one of the intermittent wiper kits that I used to sell.  It will park the wipers for you even if you kill the ignition with the wipers in operation.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/01/2014 12:13 PM  #10

Is there water inside on the linkage/motor/wiring when the problem occurs?  If so I'd suspect a leak that  shorts the motor park switch (or maybe just the motor connector) temporarily until the water dries.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.