FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2014 2:42 PM  #1

Where are these "Easy to Find" 302s??

More of a rant than a question I suppose.  But after hearing for years on this board and others that 302 short blocks are dime a dozen and cheap and easy to find, I sure as h*** am having a hard time getting one!  Trying for a roller block, but at this point am almost willing to take anything pre-modular engine.

Craigslist, bunch of junkyards, and all I have found are 2 complete enignes that are of "unkown history, function, or condition" and they asking $400-$500 bucks.

I'm in Cleveland, OH in case anyone has any magic sources... or a spare roller short block! 

But man, maybe the "302s are everywhere and dirt cheap" is one of those statements that just gets repeated so often it's just taken as timeless gospel and no one looks to see if it's still true!

5/05/2014 3:29 PM  #2

Re: Where are these "Easy to Find" 302s??

Some people (not me) may think 4-500 dollars IS dirt cheap.......

5/05/2014 3:43 PM  #3

I got my roller block on craigslist a few years ago. Disassembled, which was great for me. I could see it all and take measurements. It came with some things I did not need, including a set of E6 heads. Paid $100.
Sold the parts I was not going to use and ended up getting what I needed for free. I then built up a 302 HO with a set of GT40 heads and I love it. 

There are good deals to be had, you just have to be at the right place at the right time/ 

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

5/05/2014 3:51 PM  #4

The '89-'93 Mustang 5.0L engines are generally the sought after engines for various swaps. The problem is these cars have been out of production since '93. When they do show up in the wrecking yards, they don't usually stay around long before someone snaps them up.

$400-$500 isn't unreasonable for a complete 5.0L with all its accessories still attached. However, I probably wouldn't give that much just for a bare block.

5/05/2014 3:53 PM  #5

Heres one near me with a rebuilder tag on it.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/4432186659.html

5/05/2014 3:54 PM  #6

Dallas Caigslist has several.  Do like Ramses and I have both done.  Buy a complete engine.  They advertise for $500 but most people just want them GONE so the first one with some cash gets it.  Say $400.

Sell the entire EFI system for $100

Sell the serpentine system for $150 or more, or use it (87-93 models)

Then you are into them "dirt cheap".  I see short blocks and bare blocks all the time for $100 to $150.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/05/2014 3:58 PM  #7

Explorers, Crown Vics, Mountaineers are good 5.0 roller block candidates as well......

5/05/2014 5:06 PM  #8

Big Tag, I just took a 5.0 roller block to the scrap yard last week!!  I listed it on here http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2805  I would have given it to you if you came and got it!!  sorry

5/05/2014 6:33 PM  #9

At least a 2000-2001 Ford Explorer 5.0 should still be available if they didn't get crushed in Obama's trade in credit, a few years back.  They have the latest greatest Ford heads on them and if you want to keep it injected, it has a lot of the Mustang High Performance fuel injection components.

I bought a 50k mile copy, back in 2006, for my boat.  I stripped the fuel injection (which I still have) and carbureted it.  It is a total screamer in my boat.  I never even cracked the heads.  I just changed the cam and put in a set of new plugs and I am still afraid to hold it wide open in my boat.

I paid $900 for it back then. It still had the original factory plugs in it.

Last edited by boomyal (5/05/2014 6:34 PM)

5/05/2014 7:17 PM  #10

Check our car-parts.com.   It combs all the junk yards and the closest one in your locations.

Steve69

5/06/2014 7:45 AM  #11

Thanks for al lthe leads and tidbits.  

So after a bunch more calling, it looks like the best thing I can do is bite the bullet and pay for a full enigne.  And hey, maybe I can use the injector set-up down the road.  I just can't spend any more time hunting.  So now I need to make a decision, would appreacitae anyone's thoughts one way or another:

$350 for '90 F150
$450 for '92 T-Bird
$500 for a '95 F150

Mileage on all 3 are over 130k-180k.  

My thoughts are go with the $350 one since I'll be fully disassembling, vating, cleaning, honing, etc. anyways, so exact condition of the block is not of terrible imporance.  Although, I will be reusing the crank and rods, too.

Any thoughts?? 

5/06/2014 10:47 AM  #12

The T-Bird option is probably the best. If you have any future plans of installing the efi, the truck efi intake is too tall to fit under the Mustang hood.

5/06/2014 11:03 AM  #13

Merely going by generalities, a T-bird engine may have led an easier life as well.....

5/06/2014 1:13 PM  #14

Hmm.  good thoughts on the more gentle life - the F150s could have an unknown hauling and abuse record (or, they belonged to a wannabe weekend warrior who never haukled anything more than a fe 2x4s... but you never know) But the hood clearance is a big one - I had planned on keeping the parts 'just in case' and wold have overlooked that!  T-Bird it is.  

Thank yo uall for the help!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.