FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2014 9:26 AM  #1

MustangSteve now offering ELECTRIC POWER STEERING for 65-70 Mustangs

Check out my SWAP MEET Post.

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2984

The NEXT BIG THING !!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/07/2014 9:46 AM  #2

Re: MustangSteve now offering ELECTRIC POWER STEERING for 65-70 Mustangs

MS is this something you have installed and driven in your car??

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

5/07/2014 10:28 AM  #3

This is a system from a major manufacturer.  This is the same one as sold by ****ny at a much higher price.  There have been about 10 per month sold in the last year.  It is a proven design, professionally built and designed for Mustangs.
I do not have one on my car.  If I had a Mustang without power steering, I would have it on there in a heartbeat.  I was hoping to have this in the works while I still had the manual steering, manual trans 69 coupe, but it did not work out.

Maybe the "new" 65 GT fastback could get one installed...

5/07/2014 11:06 AM  #4

If you're going to electric power steering, might as well go with electric power brakes too.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/mump-0905-electric-high-power-master-cylinder/

5/07/2014 12:08 PM  #5

What is the current draw? If it is very much, the stock 35 amp alternator will have to be upgraded.

5/07/2014 12:32 PM  #6

I as going to ask that, I am sure a decent Alternator is required. Just don't know what "decent" is

Also is there anyway to control the assist? Can you taylor it to your liking? Or even some sort of vehicle speed input?

5/07/2014 2:13 PM  #7

Steering "feel" is variable with a knob.

I'll find out the current draw.

5/07/2014 4:26 PM  #8

Raymond_B wrote:

I as going to ask that, I am sure a decent Alternator is required. Just don't know what "decent" is

93 Taurus. 130 amp, 3 wire hookup (superior performance to one wire), available at any parts store, bolts right on. Easiest upgrade there is.

5/07/2014 4:59 PM  #9

Steve thats pretty cool, kinda wish I didn't already up grade to power steering. I really think a cool option they could add to those would be a 3 way switch to change the steering adjust. Position 1 alot of assist for parking or for wife. Position 2 for in town driving. Position 3 back road or high way. This way you could change between sport driving and in town driving. It would only add a few bucks to the cost and be a good selling point. Position 3 could still be made adjustable to the owners liking. Just saying, but still cool.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/07/2014 5:11 PM  #10

Hornman wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

93 Taurus. 130 amp, 3 wire hookup (superior performance to one wire), available at any parts store, bolts right on. Easiest upgrade there is.

Thanks! I guess I just meant what alt is recommended with this kit.

5/07/2014 6:08 PM  #11

Steve, would this work with my OEM tilt away steering column? How about my moto lita steering wheel hub?

5/07/2014 7:22 PM  #12

Will have to verify.  I will find out. 
I am not the manufacturer.  I am just trying to help fellow Mustangers with getting a deal whenever possible.  Notice I had to make a price adjustment if paypal is used because when I sold one and it was through paypal, they took so much out that I had to PAY to sell the part.

5/07/2014 7:39 PM  #13

MustangSteve wrote:

Maybe the "new" 65 GT fastback could get one installed...

I know its your car to do with as you see fit, and I'm certainly not a paint daub resto-nazi, but that car will be all original low mileage only once.

5/07/2014 7:45 PM  #14

MustangSteve wrote:

Will have to verify.  I will find out. 
I am not the manufacturer.  I am just trying to help fellow Mustangers with getting a deal whenever possible.  Notice I had to make a price adjustment if paypal is used because when I sold one and it was through paypal, they took so much out that I had to PAY to sell the part.

The Ebay and Paypal fees are getting to be rediculous.

5/07/2014 9:24 PM  #15

HenryJ wrote:

Steve, would this work with my OEM tilt away steering column? How about my moto lita steering wheel hub?

Builder says he has not done one of those with a tiltaway, but he thinks it would be complicated.

5/07/2014 9:31 PM  #16

Hornman wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

Yep, the Ford 3 G alternator is the only way to go. I had put one on my '90 5.0L Mustang GT Back in the late '90s.

A couple of months ago, I replaced the stock 1 G 60 amp alternator on my ' F-100 with a 130 amp 3 G (2 - hole case)  from a '94 V-6 Mustang.

I got the alternator, leads/wiring harness and the 175 amp mega fuse for $35.00 bucks. I took the alternator to Oreilly's and got it checked for free. --output was good but had a bad bearing on the tail end. I replaced both front and rear bearings. Even at that, the swap was cheap.

There are different case sizes and some different mounting arrangements too. There are also two primary versions of the 3 G. The 4 - hole case is a 95 amp unit. The 2 - hole case is a 130 amp unit.

Last edited by ultrastang (5/08/2014 8:22 AM)

5/08/2014 8:07 AM  #17

Max current draw on the unit is 9 amps and only for a few seconds.  No electrical upgrade is required.

5/08/2014 9:11 AM  #18

Dont forget that if you have a stock power steering set: it can be sold.  This could off set some of the cost.  Steve do you know if the motor will interfear with your cable clutch under dash linkage?      

5/09/2014 7:00 AM  #19

I sent the manufacturer alot of pics of the cable sytem.  He said it will not interfere with it, or with any other manual trans pedal setup.

Last edited by MustangSteve (5/09/2014 7:00 AM)

5/09/2014 9:00 AM  #20

ultrastang wrote:

Hornman wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

Yep, the Ford 3 G alternator is the only way to go. I had put one on my '90 5.0L Mustang GT Back in the late '90s.

A couple of months ago, I replaced the stock 1 G 60 amp alternator on my ' F-100 with a 130 amp 3 G (2 - hole case) from a '94 V-6 Mustang.

I got the alternator, leads/wiring harness and the 175 amp mega fuse for $35.00 bucks. I took the alternator to Oreilly's and got it checked for free. --output was good but had a bad bearing on the tail end. I replaced both front and rear bearings. Even at that, the swap was cheap.

There are different case sizes and some different mounting arrangements too. There are also two primary versions of the 3 G. The 4 - hole case is a 95 amp unit. The 2 - hole case is a 130 amp unit.

I pulled a 3G alternator off a 93 Tarus and I've been using it for 8 years.  It works great and was easy to wire.  Did the same megafuse as you.   Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.