FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2014 9:08 PM  #1

floor console mounting

Can anyone provide me with the correct hole location for mounting a 4 speed console on a '65?  My floor was replaced and I don't know where to make the holes for the console.  Thanks  Jerry

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

10/22/2014 9:19 PM  #2

Re: floor console mounting

retired 65 wrote:

Can anyone provide me with the correct hole location for mounting a 4 speed console on a '65?  My floor was replaced and I don't know where to make the holes for the console.  Thanks  Jerry

use console holes as template.  Drill before you install rug

10/22/2014 9:45 PM  #3

Yep, use the holes, but I disagree with doing it before the carpet is in.  Since the screws go in at an angle, if you do not have the thickness of the carpet under the console, the holes will be in the wrong place if no carpet is present when drilled.

But, it is very important that you do NOT try to drill the holes through the carpet unless you prepare it first.  I am lucky in that Mr Tim gave me a very skinny soldering iron many years ago.  I stick it through the console holes and let it melt the carpet where the holes will be drilled.  Once the holes are marked with a melted small hole, remove the console and melt the holes larger diameter, like 1/4".  Then reinstall the console and drill the holes for the console mounting screws.  If you do not melt the carpet first, the drill bit will start wrapping the carpet threads around it and will ball up a bunch of thread around the bit.  Then you cannot remove the bit through the hole in the console, PLUS you will have a 2' long runner in the carpet where the threads pulled out to wrap around the bit.  Having the melted holes keep it from doing that.

More tips for console mounting.

Make sure the front of the console is level as viewed through the center of the rear window of the car.  You will see it every time you gas it up and it looks terrible if not level.

Do not overtighten the screws.  Just enough to hold the console without putting stress on the holes in the plastic is just right.

Optional...  I did this and have been happy I did it.  I connected the chrome front cap to the console so it all comes out in one piece. (Yes, RTV works great for this. Then I screwed the console in place using only the four holes, two at each end.  For the other holes, I put a shorter dummy screw in the console, not attaching to the floor.  That way, the entire console comes out with 4 screws and you do not have to mess with the ones beside the seat which are very difficult to get to. 

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/23/2014 3:56 PM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

Yep, use the holes, but I disagree with doing it before the carpet is in.  Since the screws go in at an angle, if you do not have the thickness of the carpet under the console, the holes will be in the wrong place if no carpet is present when drilled.

But, it is very important that you do NOT try to drill the holes through the carpet unless you prepare it first.  I am lucky in that Mr Tim gave me a very skinny soldering iron many years ago.  I stick it through the console holes and let it melt the carpet where the holes will be drilled.  Once the holes are marked with a melted small hole, remove the console and melt the holes larger diameter, like 1/4".  Then reinstall the console and drill the holes for the console mounting screws.  If you do not melt the carpet first, the drill bit will start wrapping the carpet threads around it and will ball up a bunch of thread around the bit.  Then you cannot remove the bit through the hole in the console, PLUS you will have a 2' long runner in the carpet where the threads pulled out to wrap around the bit.  Having the melted holes keep it from doing that.

More tips for console mounting.

Make sure the front of the console is level as viewed through the center of the rear window of the car.  You will see it every time you gas it up and it looks terrible if not level.

Do not overtighten the screws.  Just enough to hold the console without putting stress on the holes in the plastic is just right.

Optional...  I did this and have been happy I did it.  I connected the chrome front cap to the console so it all comes out in one piece. (Yes, RTV works great for this. Then I screwed the console in place using only the four holes, two at each end.  For the other holes, I put a shorter dummy screw in the console, not attaching to the floor.  That way, the entire console comes out with 4 screws and you do not have to mess with the ones beside the seat which are very difficult to get to. 

Thanks for the info.  I figured with the carpet in first, it would raise the console and make the holes not align, so I was looking for a good way to mark the holes on the carlet.  I have done that in the carpet before and "yes" it makes a big ball of string on the drill bit.  Anyway I will try to find a shinny something to mark it.  There aren't too many "skinny" things aroung here.  Thanks MS  Jerry

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

10/23/2014 7:08 PM  #5

Ice pick heated with a propane torch works quite well

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/24/2014 8:49 AM  #6

All,
I just installed my console and below are a few suggestions:
Install the carpet then console.
Align the opening in the console first with the shifter. Make sure you have room in all the gears.
Align rest of console like MS said and recheck your shifter. Put weight on the console to snug console against carpet.
I used an awl for the holes. The awl actually make a depression that is stronger and holds the screws in place better.
Check the shifter as you tighten to make sure everything is still in alignment.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.