FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2014 12:27 PM  #1

Driveshaft issues with T5 swap

I'm converting my 65 FB with mildly worked over 302 from a 4 speed toploader toploader to a T5.  My driveshaft had a slip yoke that had 25 splines, so I knew I had to replace it.  I chose one that has the larger 1330 U-joint.  After a couple of days of trying to find the correct conversion U-joint, I finally discovered that my driveshaft apparently does not have 1310 U-joints as I had assumed.  According to this article, http://www.mustangtek.com/differential/Driveshaft.htm, I THINK it came with 1110 U-joints.  My driveshaft measures 2 3/4 x 50 25/32, and takes type M front U-joint, type L rear U-joint, and has a type 7 yoke (25 spline).  The type M and L U-joints both have 1.0" caps with inner C-clips where they mate to the driveshaft.  So far, I can't find a conversion U-joint that will mate to the new T5 yoke.  Also, I've been thinking those driveshaft hoops that hold the U-joints look pretty unsubstantial and even if I could get a conversion U-joint, I'd imagine it would still be pretty weak. 

I'm think I either need a new driveshaft, or I should have my original driveshaft rebuilt with new ends.  Any suggestions on which, or something different?  Thanks.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

10/31/2014 12:52 PM  #2

Re: Driveshaft issues with T5 swap

I don't have the answer to your question, but I can tell you how I got help when looking for an oddball u-joint to mate up my driveshaft to my pinion yoke.
I went to a local driveshaft shop and these two young guys searched for half an hour for the u-joint I needed.  Then the owner (older and more experienced) got back from lunch and solved the problem in two minutes.  He took a u-joint that fit the driveshaft and a separate u-joint that fit the yoke.  He then took the larger caps that fit the yoke and swapped them on the the u-joint that fit the driveshaft (the inside dimension of the caps were the same)... thus making a custom u-joint.  Of course that meant that I had to buy two u-joints instead of one, but it was still cheaper than having the driveshaft ends changed. I saved the part numbers of those two u-joints so I'll know what to buy in the future.

I'm not sure if all that makes sense or not.  If not, check out this old post.  It has pictures that make it a little more understandable.  http://members.boardhost.com/MustangSteve/msg/1350269998.html

So, if you have an experienced driveline shop near you it might be worth stopping in and chatting with them in case they have an experienced guy like the one I stumbled upon.

10/31/2014 12:56 PM  #3

jkordzi wrote:

I'm converting my 65 FB with mildly worked over 302 from a 4 speed toploader toploader to a T5.  My driveshaft had a slip yoke that had 25 splines, so I knew I had to replace it.  I chose one that has the larger 1330 U-joint.  After a couple of days of trying to find the correct conversion U-joint, I finally discovered that my driveshaft apparently does not have 1310 U-joints as I had assumed.  According to this article, http://www.mustangtek.com/differential/Driveshaft.htm, I THINK it came with 1110 U-joints.  My driveshaft measures 2 3/4 x 50 25/32, and takes type M front U-joint, type L rear U-joint, and has a type 7 yoke (25 spline).  The type M and L U-joints both have 1.0" caps with inner C-clips where they mate to the driveshaft.  So far, I can't find a conversion U-joint that will mate to the new T5 yoke.  Also, I've been thinking those driveshaft hoops that hold the U-joints look pretty unsubstantial and even if I could get a conversion U-joint, I'd imagine it would still be pretty weak. 

I'm think I either need a new driveshaft, or I should have my original driveshaft rebuilt with new ends.  Any suggestions on which, or something different?  Thanks.

Glen here would be one of the experts here.  I had a similar problem so I used a north Fort Worth shop that cut off my drive shaft ends and made a new drive shaft the correct length.  Note a couple of years later I had a tranny anomaly and glen pointed out that my yoke end (goes inside tranny) was 1 inch to long. He cut it to correct length.  So what I figured was sometime in the early 1980's someone put on a weird driveshaft.    Steve said a number of times what a nice shaft it is.  WAIT WHAT???  

Last edited by Don (10/31/2014 4:32 PM)

10/31/2014 1:29 PM  #4

I did the t5 conversion last winter.   I found the correct yoke I needed and measured the for the driveshaft and took the Drive shaft and yoke to a shop to shorten along with my measurements.  They figured out the U joint thing and I was good to go.    I put the new yoke in the t5 and pulled it out 3/4" and messured this way below.  

10/31/2014 7:52 PM  #5

Michael H. wrote:

I don't have the answer to your question, but I can tell you how I got help when looking for an oddball u-joint to mate up my driveshaft to my pinion yoke.
I went to a local driveshaft shop and these two young guys searched for half an hour for the u-joint I needed.  Then the owner (older and more experienced) got back from lunch and solved the problem in two minutes.  He took a u-joint that fit the driveshaft and a separate u-joint that fit the yoke.  He then took the larger caps that fit the yoke and swapped them on the the u-joint that fit the driveshaft (the inside dimension of the caps were the same)... thus making a custom u-joint.  Of course that meant that I had to buy two u-joints instead of one, but it was still cheaper than having the driveshaft ends changed. I saved the part numbers of those two u-joints so I'll know what to buy in the future.

I'm not sure if all that makes sense or not.  If not, check out this old post.  It has pictures that make it a little more understandable.  http://members.boardhost.com/MustangSteve/msg/1350269998.html

So, if you have an experienced driveline shop near you it might be worth stopping in and chatting with them in case they have an experienced guy like the one I stumbled upon.

You mentioned in your old post that you got an aluminum driveshaft from a 97 explorer 2WD V6 and that it was about 50 7/8" from the center of the caps.  That is within the range I need and it looks like it has the 1330/1310 U-joints.  I think I'm going to go looking for one tomorrow.  Just have to figure out the interchange to maximize my opportunity.  BTW, I see you didn't use the original damper/balancer on the yoke.  Any vibration issues?  Did you have it rebalanced?  Any clearance issues with the larger diameter?  Thanks.

Last edited by jkordzi (10/31/2014 8:41 PM)

10/31/2014 9:28 PM  #6

I just installed a aluminum driveshaft that I got out of a 98 Exploder 2wd. It had 1330 u-joints on both ends. I removed the stock yoke and got a T5 yoke for the forward end in the 1330 size. I got a conversion u-joint for the back end that had 1330/1310 as my rear end yoke was a 1310. I had to shorten it about 2 1/2 inches to fit the 4R70W.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

10/31/2014 10:38 PM  #7

Ron68 wrote:

I just installed a aluminum driveshaft that I got out of a 98 Exploder 2wd. It had 1330 u-joints on both ends. I removed the stock yoke and got a T5 yoke for the forward end in the 1330 size. I got a conversion u-joint for the back end that had 1330/1310 as my rear end yoke was a 1310. I had to shorten it about 2 1/2 inches to fit the 4R70W.

How's it working out?

11/01/2014 1:43 AM  #8

Don't know yet - gotta get the transmission fully installed and wire in the controller. Gonna be a little bit before I know.

11/01/2014 10:59 AM  #9

Ford U-Joints can be a PIA.  Some U-Joints use a combination of 1-1/16" cups and 1-1/8" cups.  The good news is that the cups are interchangable ... only thing is you have to buy two joints and make the swap yourself.
My driveshaft is 50" long, center to center of the u-joints, w/T-5 and a 9" rear.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/01/2014 7:33 PM  #10

So today I scored an aluminum driveshaft from a 97 4 door 2WD Explorer at the pick and pull.  It's about 50.5" long from the cap centers, which is really close to my stock 65 driveshaft.  Had to go thru about 5 before I found one that wasn't bent by the fork lift.  One tip: If you can't get the rear yoke bolts off (12 point 12 mm), just remove the outside C-clips and pop out the U-joint.  Mine came with 1330 U-joints on both ends.  Since my T5 yoke was also a 1330, I used a stock replacement for the front.  Since my 9" has a 1310 yoke, I needed a 1330/1310 combo U-joint in the back.  Post some pictures tomorrow.  Thanks to everyone for their help, esp. Michael H. for his old write-up - really helped.

11/02/2014 7:34 AM  #11

What a great exchange of knowledge here. Awesome post.

11/03/2014 8:48 AM  #12

My original 66 Mustang yoke fit just fine with the T5

11/03/2014 9:47 AM  #13

slow-poke wrote:

My original 66 Mustang yoke fit just fine with the T5

I've read a lot do, but mine was 25 spline and I needed 28 spline.

11/03/2014 10:29 AM  #14

jkordzi wrote:

Michael H. wrote:

You mentioned in your old post that you got an aluminum driveshaft from a 97 explorer 2WD V6 and that it was about 50 7/8" from the center of the caps.  That is within the range I need and it looks like it has the 1330/1310 U-joints.  I think I'm going to go looking for one tomorrow.  Just have to figure out the interchange to maximize my opportunity.  BTW, I see you didn't use the original damper/balancer on the yoke.  Any vibration issues?  Did you have it rebalanced?  Any clearance issues with the larger diameter?  Thanks.

Sorry I'm a little late answering...
I have a vibration issue but it's not because of the driveshaft.  The whole reason I was swapping in the larger aluminum shaft was part of trying to get rid of the vibration...and it actually dampened the vibration some.  I've pretty much ruled out everything except the transmission.  I have a lot of slack in the output shaft of my T5, so I think that's the culprit.  I have a rebuilt T5 on order from Glen... so hopefully I'm right and that will solve my vibration.  I did not have it rebalanced because my local driveshaft shop won't balance aluminum shafts, but it's probably not a bad idea if you have a local shop that will do it.  I didn't have any clearance issues with the larger diameter driveshaft.
I'm glad my post actually helped someone.  I've gotten so much help here, I'm glad to be able to return the favor!

11/04/2014 12:34 AM  #15

Just an FYI - here is a link to a Mustang Driveshaft page
http://www.mustangtek.com/differential/Driveshaft.htm

Some good info on stock driveshafts and u-joints

(Great - just read the opening post on this thread..... it has the same link......doh!)

Last edited by Ron68 (11/04/2014 12:39 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.