FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2013 8:01 PM  #1

4 Wheel Disc MC Problem

Hey Everyone,

I have a 66 Mustang with manual Monarch discs up front and Versailles discs in the rear. My brake pedal sits about an inch higher than my clutch pedal and feels spongy throughout its range. I'm running a dual MC but am unsure of the bore or pedal rod length. I've blead the brakes multiple times with no change in pedal feel. 

I'd like to hear any recommendations on a master cylinder or pedal rod that would offer stock pedal travel and a firmer feel.

Thanks,
Brent

4/03/2013 8:03 PM  #2

Re: 4 Wheel Disc MC Problem

what MC are you running?
You can make an adjustable pedal rod to align it with your clutch pedal.

4/03/2013 8:11 PM  #3

JamesW wrote:

You can make an adjustable pedal rod to align it with your clutch pedal.

You can also buy an adjustable push rod from many Mustang vendors, like this one:

http://stevesmustangparts.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=16660

or this one:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=A21161+01&Category=Wheels+%26+Brakes&subCategory=Brake+Boosters+%26+Related&CatKey=EMUSTANG

Just check to see if the length and adjustment range will be right for your application before buying. You also may need to fab an 'up stop' to keep the brake pedal from moving back up enough to let the rod drop out of the back of the MC, which would be bad...

Last edited by McStang (4/03/2013 8:18 PM)

(Pinto!)

4/03/2013 8:47 PM  #4

You should be using a 1" bore master cylinder that has NO residual pressure valves in it.  Make sure no brake tubing has high points in the routing, especially none higher than the fluid level in the MC bowl.

Mushy pedal can be from MC piston too small, loose wheel bearings, rotor runout, soft hoses, and a host of other things.

Rear Versailles calipers are notoriously problematic.  That was my main reason for designing brackets to install COBRA 94-04 calipers instead of the originals.  But you should be able to have a firm pedal if the MC bore is large enough.

I have three different master cylinders that would work for you.  Contact off the forum if interested.  IT is not my intention for the forum to be a sales tool.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/03/2013 8:47 PM  #5

You should be using a 1" bore master cylinder that has NO residual pressure valves in it.  Make sure no brake tubing has high points in the routing, especially none higher than the fluid level in the MC bowl.

Mushy pedal can be from MC piston too small, loose wheel bearings, rotor runout, soft hoses, and a host of other things.

Rear Versailles calipers are notoriously problematic.  That was my main reason for designing brackets to install COBRA 94-04 calipers instead of the originals.  But you should be able to have a firm pedal if the MC bore is large enough.

I have three different master cylinders that would work for you.  Contact off the forum if interested.  IT is not my intention for the forum to be a sales tool.

4/04/2013 5:11 AM  #6

If you reused old rubber flexable lines,anywhere ..i would look there..

4/04/2013 8:23 AM  #7

One other thing on Versailles rear brakes that can cause a mushy pedal is the adjustment of the emergency brake.  Are you using the correct emergency brake cables. Levers and springs?  When you install new pads on a Versailles rear end, you have to manually adjust the pistons in the calipers by rotating them.  They thread in and out on the rod that is actuated by the emergency brake lever system.  If you do not adjust them so the pads are withing about 0.030" of contacting the rotors, there will be slop in the system and half of your master cylinder stroke will be used up just getting the pads TO the rotor and not clamping on it.  To make things worse, if you do not use the emergency brake often, as the pads wear down, that gap reappears.  By actuating the e-brake regularly, the internal system in the caliper repositions the piston as close to the rotor as it can get.  So, if you do not have the e-brake cables hooked up, you can expect to have a recurring problem.  Then, if everything is hooked up correctly and you use the e-brake regularly, the calipers will self-adjust.  But, unfortunately, they tend to overadjust and the pads drag, creating heat, turning the rotors blue and causing you to get terrible gas mileage.  All that said, they just are not very good brakes to have.  They were Ford's first-gen rear discs and I think they were flawed from day one.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.