FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2013 7:48 PM  #1

I always thought I could at least take ANYTHING apart.

I was proven wrong today.  It took about 30 minutes to install the new tie rods on the 07 GT convertible.  Since the ball joint boots were blown, I figured I would slap some MOOG ball joints on it.

First attemp was to use one of those big c-clamp gizmos to press out the ball joint.  After I took the ball joint loose from the spindle, I discovered the ball joint on-the-car press was about 1/2" too short of being able to get onto the joint.  Scrap that idea...

The only way to do it at this point was to remove the lower control arm.  Four simple bolts and it will be off.  Actually, just three since the ball joint is already off the spindle.  I got the two bolt off from the rear bushing, but the front pivot bolt required removal of the rack so the bolts could come out.  The rack is held on with two vertical bolts with 18mm nut size.  Neither nut would budge.  I use a Mapp gas torch to heat it.  I used a 30" MAC breaker bar with an impact socket on it, and a 36" piece of pipe slipped over the handle.  This was over 5 FEET of lever arm.  I pulled so hard, the MAC breaker bar was bowed about 6", maybe more.  The two nuts would not budge.  So, I gave up and bolte it back together.  Bummer to do all that work for no gain.  I need someone with a 3/4" drive impact wrench like they use on big trucks.  If they can just bust those two nuts loose, then I can remove the rack and get on with business.

This is the first time EVER that I can recall not being able to get something APART.

Here is a tip for those of you with S-197 Mustangs.  As they get older, the camber starts to give way and you get alot of negative camber with no way to adjust it.  There are several ways to remedy this.

First is to get a pair of Eibach camber bolts and replace the upper bolt on the spindle with one.  They have a cam profile on the bolt and will move the spindle to a more positive camber setting, up to about two degrees from the standard bolt.  That is the easiest method and will correct the camber issues on cars with stock suspensions.

Next is to take the upper strut mounts and remove the 4 nuts that holds them to the shock tower.  Jack the car up so the strut drops down where the 4 studs disappear.  Then rotate the upper strut mount 180 degrees for a FREE extra two degrees camber in the positive direction.  Then lower the car down and reinstall the nuts.  I figured this one out when I determined the center hole in that mount is offset.  Swapping the direction like that moves the top of the strut outward about 1/4".

Next is to slot the upper holes on the struts where the spindle bolts on.  I knew I should have done this before I installed the struts, but I had bought the Eibach bolts and figured it would not be necessary.  If I HAD done it, this would be very simple to correct the camber issues with a lowered car.

Next thing to do on mine will be to lower the upper strut mount with the nuts removed, tehn use a die grinder to elongate the mounting holes outward.  I did this on a 98 GT that I lowered and it worked perfect.  I much prefer dealing with the top of the strut as it is easy to get to the nuts to set the camber.

As a last resort, you can bay $300+ for a set of caster/camber plates that accomplish the same thing as slotting the holes in the shock tower.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/25/2013 11:50 PM  #2

Re: I always thought I could at least take ANYTHING apart.

does ford get "lock-tite crazy" on these new ones like some of the fox's i used to own? i HATED the first go around with disassembling  suspension parts on those...

6/26/2013 5:49 AM  #3

This way past red loctite.  Usually heating loctite with a torch will make it slick as oiled threads.  These are just impossible.

6/26/2013 9:33 AM  #4

It would be just my luck they'd be left hand threads.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

6/26/2013 10:07 AM  #5

I found some Steeda x-5 ball joint replacement instructions online, that show the control arm being removed to press them out just as you have described. 

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-v6-mustang-tech/189545-2005-v6-mustang-ball-joint-replacement.html

It looks as if the ball joint is pretty tall.  

What about maybe using a custom made press tube with that c clamp tool.  such as using a longer piece of large pipe fitting you could get from a hardware store.  

Or.....if the only thing really keeping the press from working is the ball joint stud length, Id cut it off with a portable band saw.  Then you could press it out.  

Cause, if you break off one of the rack bolts, you will definitely be in a world of s*** trying to fix that.

Last edited by Greg B (6/26/2013 10:16 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/26/2013 10:27 AM  #6

I could have used the on-car press if I took the sleeve and cut ut shorter so the opening in the c-clamp was larger.  I took the car to NTB today to get the alignmebt finalized.  I had the caster perfect (not adjustable) and the camber was actually in spec.  The master mechanic tech that worked on it checked the ball joints and found no play, so busted boots are the only issue.  I'll save the ball joints for another day.  I even got the toe correct, but the wheel was off a little.  So they straightened the wheel so it is off a little in the other direction...  But at least I know it is all in spec now so I can ove on with the fastback.  Time is running out!   BASH IS COMING!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.