FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2016 9:45 PM  #1

Door lock problem?

My '65 has developed a driver's door problem.  When I shut the door, it just bounces back at me.  If I close it lightly it will catch on the first stage of the the closure but all you have to do is tug on the door handle and it will come loose.  Also, if you press down on the door lock button, the door just springs open. 

If you open the door and stick a tool into the jaws, they work as they should.  You cannot force the jaws open when in the first position of engagement.  If you press the jaws harder, they fully close and you cannot force them to let go with the tool.

I have adjusted the striker till I am blue in the face, to no avail.

seems like there is a problem with the latch mechanism even though I cannot see what is going on when I shut or slam the door.  The telling thing is when in half latch, pushing on the door lock button springs the door open.  This does not happen on the passenger door.

Anyone have any advice?  I am getting ready to pull the door panel to see what I can see.

6/20/2016 12:24 AM  #2

Re: Door lock problem?

Have you done any work on the lock rods recently? Someone try to jimmy your door? Try this link to a similar problem.
http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4460

Last edited by 50vert (6/20/2016 12:25 AM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

6/20/2016 9:08 AM  #3

50vert wrote:

Have you done any work on the lock rods recently? Someone try to jimmy your door? Try this link to a similar problem.

I'll check the link out, 50vert.  Haven't done any work on the lock rods and the car is garaged and never accessible to bad guys.  The door has never felt all that good when closing.  Have always had to use more effort than necessary with the other door.

6/20/2016 7:07 PM  #4

WD-40 first... than when loosened up adjust if necessary....I put that $hip on everything...spray it good....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

6/20/2016 9:19 PM  #5

50vert wrote:

I just read the post in your link.  It looks like it has some promising ideas in it.  I will pull the door panel tomorrow and see what happens.

6/20/2016 11:24 PM  #6

I think that was the only time I've ever been able to offer helpful advice ....... everyone else has usually beaten me to it before I get on the forum.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

6/21/2016 4:32 AM  #7

Sounds like that round plastic piece that attaches the rod to the latch mechanism (pawl bushing which is actually NOT in this picture) may be loose.  If you are going to open up the door, plan on replacing it.  You symptoms are just like what dealt with until I replaced that part.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-door-latch-retainer-bushing-kit-1965-1966/p/HW1552/

Last edited by MS (6/21/2016 9:03 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/21/2016 8:35 AM  #8

MS wrote:

Sounds like that round plastic piece that attaches the rod to the latch mechanism (pawl bushing which is actually NOT in this picture) may be loose.  If you are going to open up the door, plan on replacing it.  You symptoms are just like what dealt with until I replaced that part.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-door-latch-retainer-bushing-kit-1965-1966/p/HW1552/

Thanks for those pictures, MS.  Last nite I got the manual out and was not able to discern anything from the pictures therein.  I did get the door panel off last night and looked at the back side of the latch assembly.  I really did not know what I should be looking for but every thing had what appeared to be a substantial coating of dried out grease on it.  I sprayed everything with a lighter lubricant and will go back this morning to see if there was any effect.  Your picture will help me know what to look for.

Last edited by MS (6/21/2016 9:02 PM)

6/21/2016 7:06 PM  #9

Although my door latch issue was not exactly the same as yours (door lock button would not move fully to the "lock" position), I removed and cleaned the entire latch assembly, lubed it up and works like new.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/21/2016 11:13 PM  #10

BobE wrote:

Although my door latch issue was not exactly the same as yours (door lock button would not move fully to the "lock" position), I removed and cleaned the entire latch assembly, lubed it up and works like new.

BobE, you hit the nail on the head.  Even though I have not finished the project yet, in combination with MS's picture of the latch assembly and a trip out to a local Mustang guy, my latch assembly was so gunked up with the wrong kind of grease that none of the moving parts would move according to the dictates of the springs, rods and buttons, etc.

I wished that I had taken a picture of it, but I didn't.  It is now soaking in a can full of paint thinner and I have scrubbed it numerous times while re-immersing it.  Tomorrow I will pull it out of its bath and give it a final blast of brake cleaner, then slather it with lubri-plate grease and check its function before reinstalling.

All of the parts, on the latch look in good shape but they could not move and interact in the manner necessary to affect the lockup of the door.

Last edited by boomyal (6/21/2016 11:33 PM)

6/22/2016 7:49 AM  #11

I've found white grease in a rattle can works excellent! Sprays on very liquid then stiffens up when solvents dry. Goes in all the crooks and crannies. Howard 

6/22/2016 3:41 PM  #12

Problem solved.  The door has never worked so well in the 36 years that I have owned it.  all cleaned up and lubed with white lithium grease. It was amazing how good the latch assembly looked once the caked grease was remove,  There was no sign of any wear or degradation.  That is pretty amazing for it being on the door that probably gets ten times the use of the other door.  It should be good to go for another 50 years. 

Even though the right door works fine, now that I know how to get the latch disconnected and out of the door, I may do the same to it.

6/26/2016 2:18 PM  #13

boomyal - glad this worked out for you.  When I removed my assembly, it didn't look bad, but I could not see any wear or damage, and the mechanism seemed to work fine on the bench, so all that was left was to clean it up, lube a see what happens.  As I said works like new.  I also used the rattle can white grease.

6/26/2016 3:26 PM  #14

BobE wrote:

boomyal - glad this worked out for you.  When I removed my assembly, it didn't look bad, but I could not see any wear or damage, and the mechanism seemed to work fine on the bench, so all that was left was to clean it up, lube a see what happens.  As I said works like new.  I also used the rattle can white grease.

Yep, Bob, it was one of those scary projects but once I was able to put an actual latch assembly in my hand, working a foot back into the dark recess was not bad at all.  Just today I noticed my right door button is very sticky when pushing it down.  Time to yank that latch out and give it the treatment.

6/27/2016 6:21 PM  #15

boomyal - I used kerosene as the cleaner, a small paint brush and an old toothbrush to get into the tight spots.  I did the same cleaning and lubing on the window mechanism and it also works like new now.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.