FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/02/2016 3:49 PM  #1

Shock Tower Notching

Anybody have any info on how this is done?  Been researching for 3 days and can't find anything useful.  Thanks, JerryM

Last edited by JerryM (7/02/2016 3:50 PM)

7/02/2016 4:09 PM  #2

Re: Shock Tower Notching

What all do you need to do?  You can notch the shock towers by cutting out the section that interferes and welding in a C-channel to get the clearance.  Match the tower thickness with the C-channel.  You could also create a V with two plates instead of a C.  I wouldn't go too far into the tower, you could hit the spring, and you start creating a bending moment between the top and bottom of the C and the rest of the tower because the deeper the notch the greater the effective lever is.  But if you need an inch or so I wouldn't worry about it. 

7/02/2016 7:14 PM  #3

I think Mustang Steve did a write up when he did the mod on his car after building a marking/layout jig.

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=38421

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=7149#p7149

3 days of searching?

Last edited by rpm (7/02/2016 7:15 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/02/2016 7:45 PM  #4

My thanks to rpm.  I have performed numerous searches on the site the last 3 days with no luck.  This is what I need.  Jer

7/03/2016 3:38 PM  #5

I just now moved that link to the TIPS & HOW_TO section, but left a redirect link.  This way it will be easier to find in the future,

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.