FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2016 3:06 PM  #76

Re: bore to 347?

Its nice to have it all done the first time the way you really want it.  On the other hand troubleshooting EFI on top of breaking in a new motor can be a lot depending on how it goes.  I know I'll swap to EFI at some point, but for now I'll build my 347 with a carb, get it dialed in, and then down the road do the EFI conversion.

On the wiring, I would rework what you've got, or start with a fresh repro harness and modify it.  That's what I've done and its fairly easy to add circuits as needed.  The Painless kits I've found to be anything but.  A lot of money for something that requires a lot of work on your part to fit it to the car. 

6/23/2016 10:49 AM  #77

TKOPerformance wrote:

Its nice to have it all done the first time the way you really want it.  On the other hand troubleshooting EFI on top of breaking in a new motor can be a lot depending on how it goes.  I know I'll swap to EFI at some point, but for now I'll build my 347 with a carb, get it dialed in, and then down the road do the EFI conversion.

On the wiring, I would rework what you've got, or start with a fresh repro harness and modify it.  That's what I've done and its fairly easy to add circuits as needed.  The Painless kits I've found to be anything but.  A lot of money for something that requires a lot of work on your part to fit it to the car. 

You make a good point about the break in coupled with troubleshooting EFI, I just figured easier to do it the first time whilst its all torn down, but maybe a carb might be easier in a few aspects, so I might just continue down that road. 

I remembered the name of the company, mid life harness in Fl said to rebuild many harnesses completely and do a great job for 1/4 the price. Maybe I can ask them about adding some wiring for A/C while they have it.

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

6/23/2016 11:53 AM  #78

Wiring for AC should be pretty easy.  How are you planning on controlling it?  Is it stock components or an aftermarket system? 

7/17/2016 1:53 PM  #79

TKOPerformance wrote:

Wiring for AC should be pretty easy.  How are you planning on controlling it?  Is it stock components or an aftermarket system? 

Sorry just saw this,  truthfully,  not sure yet probably an aftermarket system?

So skins like the rolling assembly has been put together and is ready to be picked up. He said he had tho double check the clearances and rod length. Still need all the components I talked about above sho i week have to start shopping.

7/17/2016 1:55 PM  #80

Wanted tho add a few pictures, can't on my phone?

7/29/2016 11:50 AM  #81

So I am currently in a holding pattern with picking up my long block. Talked with the builder a few days ago and after getting the correct length rod checker, sounds like he was not comfortable with the clearances between the pushrod and cylinder heads. We ordered the AFR 165 heads. He called AFR and he said they were basically "no help", asked him if he has ever built a performance engine before? He stated it not really a "performance" engine but a street engine with performance capabilities, all they suggested was removing the valve guides and taking some pictures then send them to them at AFR...? No its all foreign to me but I thought he said they were within .010 but I could be wrong. Either way, he is now taking some steps backwards to remove the valve guides to check something or another. Should I have just ordered the Edlebrock heads like he initially wanted? I thought I did read somewhere at some point about this being an issue with AFR heads.

7/29/2016 12:01 PM  #82

7/29/2016 5:50 PM  #83

You're saying valve guides but are you intending to mean push rod guides?

Last edited by Jon Richard (7/29/2016 5:50 PM)

7/29/2016 6:21 PM  #84

Jon Richard wrote:

You're saying valve guides but are you intending to mean push rod guides?

Yeah, your right I meant to say push rod guides. The builder told me that "the rods were hitting the heads" so I am not 100% sure if that meant they were rubbing on the guides or what exactly he meant?  Is it normal for there to be some contact between the rods and guides?

7/29/2016 7:03 PM  #85

It is normal for the push rods to contact the guides, so long as that is the designed set up, which is what you have- but hardened push rods are required when running guides or you'll wear down the push rods where they ride in the guides in short order.

What I'm seeing in the pics you posted is a misalignment like your builder doesn't like how the guides are not centered with the through hole in the heads. I personally think it's as easy as modifying the guides or flat out replacing them with different ones that will make the rods take a straighter shot from the lifters to the rocker.

I've seen folks take the one piece style and cut/ re-weld them to fit, it's just a guide fudge it so it guides where it's supposed to.

7/30/2016 8:54 AM  #86

He should just clearance the pushrod guide plates where it needs a little more room around the pushrods.

7/30/2016 11:52 AM  #87

Typically pushrod to guide plate clearance is 0.005", which is next to nothing.  That's why you run hardened pushrods.  There's going to be some contact in operation, but you don't want the pushrod grating down the guideplate slot all the time.  You should have enough adjustment to loosen the rocker studs and jockey the guideplate around to get that clearance.  If not you can always cut the guideplate in half, get each one right, then tack them back together.  But I wouldn't think you'd have to go that far on something so simple and mundane. 

7/30/2016 12:35 PM  #88

AFR has had issues with head pushrod guide clearance. With all of that investment , I would call AFR directly . They will help straighten out that problem.

7/30/2016 3:24 PM  #89

Hey TKO, that seems to kinda be the consensus, after all they are there as a guide right?  We did but new pushrods and I am hopping they are hardened ones,  shouldn't all pushrods be hardened?

Bruce B, the builder did call AFR to ask about clearance and tolerances,  and I kinda got the jist that the were not much help as HE sounded a little ticked with them, they just asked if he "has ever built a high performance engine before", and requested that he pull the guides to take some pictures tho send to them. ...

7/30/2016 4:49 PM  #90

For what it's worth, I had the same issue with AFR 165 heads.  To get the roller rockers on the valve with no valve stem off of the roller required some of the pushrods to be very close to the wall of the the pushrod hole in the head.  Seemed almost like a slight core shift or slightly off center machining for the pushrod holes.  But it was possible to get things to line up...just, without any pushrods rubbing the head.  So far, with nearly 4K on the engine, all seems to be okee dokee.  Butt (TS&T), I have to say that I was a bit disappointed after all the hoop-a-law over how great AFR heads are.  Something as relatively simple as aligning the pushrods so the rockers get a full bite of the valve stem should not be an issue in my opinion.  I'd say just make  sure the roller has full contact with the valve and that the pushrod will spin when the valve is closed.  That way you know nothing is in a bind.  And yes, you absolutely have to use hardend pushrods.  If you aren't sure the rods are okay for use with guide-plates...ask. 

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (7/30/2016 5:04 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/30/2016 6:35 PM  #91

Ah, so they're close to the hole in the head.  I'd just make sure they don't hit.  In the end, in the battle of steel vs. aluminum, hardened or not, steel always wins.  Make sure they are hardened though, they need to be when you run guideplates.  Most aftermarket pushrods are hardened, but its worth a check. 

8/02/2016 12:57 PM  #92

So just got this response from the builder,  sounds like it's contacting the home in the head not just the guides:

Push rods are rubbing the hole in the head. Will probably pull heads back off and drill the holes bigger. ARF doesn't seem interested in fixing the problem

Send like one should nut have tho go too those lengths,  am I wrong here?

8/02/2016 3:49 PM  #93

I agree, for what you pay for AFRs that's BS having to do anything to them. 

8/02/2016 7:42 PM  #94

TKOPerformance wrote:

I agree, for what you pay for AFRs that's BS having to do anything to them. 

I agree but reeeealy what recourse do we have? Signed, sealed delivered. He also had this to say about AFR's response:

He says he doesn't think that THEY ARE rubbing. One definitely is and all the other intakes are uncomfortably close

Lastly,  the push rods are hardened but he thinks letting them just wear is asking for bigger problems,  if it was just the guides maybe,  but it's contacting the head.

8/03/2016 5:28 AM  #95

There really isn't another option, and puling the heads a enlarging the pushrod holes is the right thing to do.  He's the builder and if that's what he feels needs to be done then that's the way to go. 

8/22/2016 3:29 PM  #96

TKOPerformance wrote:

There really isn't another option, and puling the heads a enlarging the pushrod holes is the right thing to do.  He's the builder and if that's what he feels needs to be done then that's the way to go. 

Geez, as I look back at the original post date in FEBRUARY,  I had no idea this would be carrying on this long. .... I guess MS law is applicable as usual.  Well I received a message this morning he started drlling out the head holes, "one down 7 to go". These heads are getting exponentially MORE expensive by the day. ..

8/22/2016 4:28 PM  #97

I've been following this thread off and on - has it been since Feb?  I have not said anything because you guys know a lot more about pushrods, guides, and holes than I.  Now that the decision is made I have one comment.  Good luck.  The push rods were designed to line with the rocker up thru the hole in the head.  You added guides and both guide and push rod hole now rub.  Your answer is to enlarge the hole .   To me that looks like the guides will push the rods out further putting a lateral force on the rocker arm push rod cup.  The guides may still rub some, but there is a chance that something untoward may happen with the push rods, like coming out of the rocker arm, rapid wear on the rod end, or bending the rod. where am I wrong?  What am I missing?

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

8/22/2016 5:14 PM  #98

There is some room for movement simply by loosening the rocker stud.  I have had to do that with other brands of aluminum heads also.  Or even swap some of the pushrod guides around.  You might find some variation.   I have AFR 205's on my 427 and they did not have any interference.  Maybe I just got lucky.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/22/2016 8:15 PM  #99

lowercasesteve wrote:

I've been following this thread off and on - has it been since Feb?  I have not said anything because you guys know a lot more about pushrods, guides, and holes than I.  Now that the decision is made I have one comment.  Good luck.  The push rods were designed to line with the rocker up thru the hole in the head.  You added guides and both guide and push rod hole now rub.  Your answer is to enlarge the hole .   To me that looks like the guides will push the rods out further putting a lateral force on the rocker arm push rod cup.  The guides may still rub some, but there is a chance that something untoward may happen with the push rods, like coming out of the rocker arm, rapid wear on the rod end, or bending the rod. where am I wrong?  What am I missing?

Well, I myself know even less about rods, holes, add other motor building linguistics here, that's why I decided to have one built.  It seemed like the best option from others as well as the builder himself,  so I went with it. He did not like the alignment/clearances, I asked if smaller rods were available and it sounded like 8in were the smallest for intake, so here we are and there is no going back now.

8/23/2016 4:00 AM  #100

You wouldn't want to use smaller pushrods, even if they were available.  The pushrod is under a lot of stress, because it works directly against the valvespring.  That's why most performance engines use a 3/8" diameter pushrod, and max effort engines go even bigger, because if that pushrod bends that's the end of that day of racing. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.