| ||
| Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for: FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events |
Offline
My current dilemma is: should I fit Headman Headers or Tri Y headers which some of the Mustang part suppliers stock.
I would welcome any advice.
Thanks.
Offline
What car/year. What engine, auto or standard. Need some detail.
Offline
Yeah, sorry bout that. What was I thinking?
The car concerned is a 1966 289 auto Coupe Mustang. Its a standard car with PAS and A/C.
Offline

A major consideration in your case would be the power steering. If it was my car, I wold opt for a pair of reproduction 289 HIPO exhaust manifolds. They will never leak or cause you any other problems, and for street use, you will not notice any performance change vs headers. You will also enjoy being able to get to stuff on your car without working around headers, plus you can get off-the-shelf 289 HIPO H-pipes that will bolt right up.
If you go with headers at all, choose a mid-length or shorty version. If you go with a long tube header, you will have to relocate your power steering ram attaching points on the frame. Unless you weld the piece on there very securely, the extra leverage from the longer bracket can actually crack the frame rail, which is nothing more than sheetmetal. From many years of experience working on these cars, I have come to realize that longevity and mainatinability are more important than getting that last 10th of a HP.
Offline

MustangSteve says " I have come to realize that longevity and mainatinability are more important than getting that last 10th of a HP."
And whatever you do, don't try and stuff a 427" in it.![]()
(sorry, I couldn't resist)
Offline
at wrote:
MustangSteve says " I have come to realize that longevity and mainatinability are more important than getting that last 10th of a HP."
And whatever you do, don't try and stuff a 427" in it.
(sorry, I couldn't resist)
LMFAO![]()
Offline

Don wrote:
at wrote:
MustangSteve says " I have come to realize that longevity and mainatinability are more important than getting that last 10th of a HP."
And whatever you do, don't try and stuff a 427" in it.
(sorry, I couldn't resist)LMFAO
Yeah, well, that horselaugh was well-deserved. I DO typically learn things the hard way. I have repeatedly stated on this forum that I did not gain all this knowledge by doing it right the first time... And the punishment and learning experience from the 427 is ongoing... The engine was quite easy, since I already had a 351W in the car. It is the TKO tranny needed to back up said engine that is causing all the grief.
I am just trying to spare you some pain with the headers, based on what I have learned and have also heard expressed by other knowledgeable individuals on this forum. If you really want long tube headers, you should expect to have to endure some of that pain and learning experience like the rest of us dummies did. No two cars are exactly alike, so (as Tubo says) Your mileage may vary...
Last edited by MustangSteve (7/16/2013 8:26 PM)
Offline
Ok, I will take your advice and lose the headers. The engine that I intend to fit to my car is a Approx 1987 302 injected engine from a fox. This has quite small manifolds. Should I just stay with these or would the Hipo manifolds be better. I am not looking to squeeze power out of the engine. I just want to get something on there that I will keep as I intend to get a stainless system fitted.
Offline

I would at least do the hipo manifolds. I running Hedman 88300's with no problems, but they do hang low. The car is lowered plus the T5 transmission mount is an inch or so lower which lowers the headers that much more. You can see one of the collectors hanging in this pic..
Offline

Hipos will work great with that combination. You can even get off-the-shelf 2-1/4" stainless systems to bolt right up*. (Like THAT* ever really happens)
| REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on. |