FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2013 3:13 AM  #1

mustang steev bushing for 6cyl to V8 steering conversion

Hi all, 

I m new to the forum, so let me introduce myself. I m the happy owner of a 66 mustang coupe, equipped with 6 cyl engine. 
I wan't to upgrade to V8 spindles in order to get disc and wheels.
I have this idea in mind since a while and i have read a lot about it.
I ll keep the L6 engine in the car, specially since it is fitted with AU 250-2v head and 350 holley. this is making it special. 
rear end will have to be replace with 8inch v8 rear. This should not be an issue as i can find one around.
I get a pair of V8 spindles. so everything regarding disc swap itself should be easy.
the only matter is the fitting of the V8 spindle on the L6 steering.
I have read to much about it and i m getting confused.
So i m asking your opinion.
Do i have to replace the steering part (center link and stuff) for v8 parts ?
I have since different setting, some with V8 venter link (+ tie rods + pitman + idler arm) (a bit expensive), some others with just outter tie rod replacement (not so sure about the correct geometry) then finally mustang steeve option of just adding a bushing between spindle and tie rods.
have anyone here ever try that ?
what about geometry ?
steering radius ?
bump steer ??
i have been told mustangsteeve mod won't give me correct geometry and will end with poor handling.
I wander why guys would spend hundreds of bucks on V8 steering parts if a 20 dols bushing can do the trick just as good. (many are swapping the engine for v8, in this case it makes sens.)

thanks for answers
regards

f.

4/05/2013 7:13 AM  #2

Re: mustang steev bushing for 6cyl to V8 steering conversion

The bushings will let you bolt the parts together,  In fact, if you get 65/66 spindles (highly recommend to get correct geometry) then you won't even need a bushing. They will bolt right up. The tapered part of the I-6 tir rod is the same exact size as the tapered part of the V8 tie rods.  Only the threads are different, so you may have to use a washer, but they do bolt up.

I can tell you from direct experience though that the bumpsteer and driving characteristics of the car will be terrible and you won't even want to drive it at highway speeds.  That is where the V8 tie rod assemblies, center link, pitman and idler arms come into the picture.  Install all of that with 65/66 V8 spindles and the car will handle and steer as it should.
The 67 and newer spindles will also cause a problem even with V8 steering linkage, but not nearly as noticeable and severe as using I-6 linkage.  You can get away with using 67 and newer spindles with V8 linkage but it still won't be optimum.

Others having same or even opposite experience with this swap should also relate their experiences here.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/05/2013 5:37 PM  #3

MustangSteve wrote:

The bushings will let you bolt the parts together,  In fact, if you get 65/66 spindles (highly recommend to get correct geometry) then you won't even need a bushing. They will bolt right up. The tapered part of the I-6 tir rod is the same exact size as the tapered part of the V8 tie rods.  Only the threads are different, so you may have to use a washer, but they do bolt up.

I can tell you from direct experience though that the bumpsteer and driving characteristics of the car will be terrible and you won't even want to drive it at highway speeds.  That is where the V8 tie rod assemblies, center link, pitman and idler arms come into the picture.  Install all of that with 65/66 V8 spindles and the car will handle and steer as it should.
The 67 and newer spindles will also cause a problem even with V8 steering linkage, but not nearly as noticeable and severe as using I-6 linkage.  You can get away with using 67 and newer spindles with V8 linkage but it still won't be optimum.

Others having same or even opposite experience with this swap should also relate their experiences here.

hi steeve 
Thanks for the answer. I am getting more confuse now. Part will bolt together with or without the bushing, but the car will barely be drivable. So What is the all point of this bushing.
from what you say, the only way to do the thing is to swap the all steering part. from spindle to spindle, including pitman and idle arm. lot of work, pain and money in my opinion for a car driving 3-5000 km per year.
Well i might have a chance to get some V8 steering parts for free or little money, so i might save those part in the sheld for a while waiting for the next opportunity to have  them installed all together.

regards

4/05/2013 5:52 PM  #4

Just telling you how it is...

4/05/2013 6:09 PM  #5

ok, thanks anyway. 
seem like the V8 spindle option is not the easiest way to get to disc and 5 lugs .
regads

4/05/2013 7:20 PM  #6

Check out the other FYI post about the late model GT bakes using original 6 cylinder spindles and four lugs.  THAT would be the way to go if you don't want to swap everything.  It was posted recently.

4/05/2013 7:43 PM  #7

Just want to jump in here and bck up what Steve said. I to started out with a 66 coupe with an I6. I converted the complete steering system to V8 using 66 spindles and all new V8 parts including idle, pitman arm and center link. Car drives great and I was able to install Steve's GT frount disc kit.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/05/2013 10:31 PM  #8

Xargon321 is the member that put the GT brakes on a six cylinder spindle with 4 lugs.  I think he used a six-cylinder 05-09 rotor and drilled it for four lug...   Check out his pictures he posted http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=64

The six cylinder spindle obviously will have the correct geometry to work with the six cylinder steering linkage, so that solves alot of issues.

4/05/2013 10:59 PM  #9

If you have power steering the I6 set up will work, what Steve has said applies to manual steering. 

Yeah, I know, but...

4/07/2013 2:20 AM  #10

calistang wrote:

If you have power steering the I6 set up will work, what Steve has said applies to manual steering. 

I DO have power steering on the L6. Nice to Know this will work . I would like to have the word of other members about it.
The idea was to use large V8 spindle.
L6 spindle are lighter and prone to brake. It is not a legend as i have broke one myself a couple of year ago, right after buying the car. I guess bearings were too tight or too old.
This ned up with the car spliping on the backing plate, with no brake.
could have finishede really bad for both the car and myself. fortunately i was driving in town, really slowly when it happened. when wheel fly away it lightly damaged the fender. backing plate was destroyed, but engine did not scrap the ground.Since i have rebuilt the car with DUAL brake Master cylinder, new (well, used from junkyard) L6 spindle, with the idea of upgrading to stronger V8 spindle.
since i have installed a healthy 250-2v Australian head on the L6, power significantly increase. that another eason to upgrade to V8 spindles and disc brakes.

thanks for you opinion on V8 spindle on L6power steering.

regards

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.