FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2013 4:21 PM  #1

I'm Floored !!!

Or... the hump is in...  Here it is in primer.  I still have to seam seal everything and paint it.  I think I will take the suggestions of satin black. Rustoleum 7777 has never let me down, so that is the final answer.

I really did not think I was ever going to get that floor put back in the car.  It clears the TKO600 by a mile on the sides and 1/2" on the top.

Next test is to see if the carpet will reach over the taller tranny tunnel and if the underdash AC will fit back in there.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/04/2013 6:32 PM  #2

Re: I'm Floored !!!

Nice work Steve!

Jeff T... 73 Mustang convertible, 351C just a little warmed up, T-5 and a few suspension mods

8/04/2013 6:48 PM  #3

Look Great MS!

8/04/2013 7:47 PM  #4

Very clean! I like your idea of the rustoleum what do you use to thin it?

Last edited by Derek (8/04/2013 7:48 PM)

It's hard to type "funny"

8/04/2013 8:19 PM  #5

Derek wrote:

Rustoleum 7777 comes in a rattle can and covers very smoothly.  You cannot tell the difference from using the Binks gun or the rattle cans.  The best thing about rustoleum vs Krylon is the rustoleum does not get brittle with age. (as bad)...   Krylon looks great going on and sprays fantastic, but tends to chip alot easier once it gets set  up.

Best thing about rattle cans... no clean up.

8/04/2013 8:47 PM  #6

Looks like you did a nice job on it.

8/05/2013 7:03 AM  #7

Looks great!!

8/05/2013 10:34 AM  #8

MustangSteve wrote:

Derek wrote:

Rustoleum 7777 comes in a rattle can and covers very smoothly.  You cannot tell the difference from using the Binks gun or the rattle cans.  The best thing about rustoleum vs Krylon is the rustoleum does not get brittle with age. (as bad)...   Krylon looks great going on and sprays fantastic, but tends to chip alot easier once it gets set  up.

I did a google search and even called rustoleum. Both Lowes and Home depot sell it by the quart for $9.48. Rustoleum tech support said it can can be thinned and sprayed with either mineral spirits or acetone. Ah lot cheaper then rattle cans and better coverage I think..

It's hard to type "funny"

8/05/2013 12:50 PM  #9

That's a big hump! Looks great, like it came that way from the factory just goes to show what perseverance and a BFH can do. Did you replace the front frame rails too?

(Pinto!)

8/05/2013 4:55 PM  #10

McStang wrote:

That's a big hump! Looks great, like it came that way from the factory just goes to show what perseverance and a BFH can do. Did you replace the front frame rails too?

Yes, the frame rails "floor support beams" are new.  The subframe connectors go all the way through them and all the way up into the front frame rails.  They are plug welded to the beams and front rails every 6" with a 1/2" plug weld on each side of the beam.

8/05/2013 8:03 PM  #11

Derek wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Derek wrote:

I did a google search and even called rustoleum. Both Lowes and Home depot sell it by the quart for $9.48. Rustoleum tech support said it can can be thinned and sprayed with either mineral spirits or acetone. Ah lot cheaper then rattle cans and better coverage I think..

I vote for the rattle can for this duty, after you figure in the cost and grief of cleaning the gun and thinner for the paint as well as lacquer thinner to clean the gun you loose. Not to mention the electricity to run the compressor. Also, you end up throwing away as much as half of every can of regular paint you buy when it dries up cause you didn't use it soon enough after the first job!

8/05/2013 8:10 PM  #12

I did the seam sealer, primer and rattle cans today.  Since I did not do a 100% perfect cleanup of the existing floors, it does not look all that great, but it is protected and all one color.  In order to make it look more professional, I am going to go ahead and undercoat it with a thin coating of rough undercoater. That is just like adding texture to a sheetrock wall.  It hides all the defects.  This car is a driver and once it gets good and dirty, it will look great !!!

I will shoot the undercoater tomorrow morning.  I turned off the ac when I painted today.  Since it barely gets below 90 degrees here, even at night, it should be cured and ready for another coat by then.  It cured pretty good today at 100 degrees. 

I have come to the realization that it is more important that my car makes it to the bash than it is for it to be perfect ON THE BOTTOM.

8/06/2013 9:37 AM  #13

It'll look much better with the texture of the undercoating. The stuff I used took a few days to really dry and harden up. 

jerry

8/06/2013 9:45 AM  #14

Ok I'll bite,,,, who is going to crawl under there and look?  Just get a gallon of roofing tar from Home Depot and slab it on there..  then tell everyone how nice it is...  Yes this is my perfered method,,

8/06/2013 11:19 AM  #15

Don, I have seen the underside of your car.

Nuff said...

8/06/2013 12:51 PM  #16

I wonder what adding a hardener would do for the bigger cans of 7777?  

Other than needing a air supplied hood for the painter.

Last edited by Greg B (8/06/2013 12:54 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/06/2013 1:19 PM  #17

I found some really good undercoater.  3M brand from the shelf at Autozone.  That stuff is great.  It goes on very easily and does not bubble up like some other brands.  It now has a nice finish like a new suede coat.  And all the defects are totally gone!  And it dries quick.  Being 100 degrees out there might be helping that.

Tomorrow I tackle the shock towers and UCA's.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.