FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2018 11:30 PM  #76

Re: My Cars

The passenger side coil spring and shock went in Sunday evening without much issue once I got it clocked right on coil spring compressor. And man that’s an eerie feeling with that much stored energy. 

The driver side went in on Monday evening, but it didn’t go willingly!! 

Tuesday morning was an appointment with B and B Tire for a front end alignment. The drive over was sketchy, but I got there without issue. There was a night and day difference with the test drive afterwards. Here’s the car on the rack. 

Pic 7685
Left the shop and less than a mile later, I was in a parking lot out of gas!!! Guess the gas gauge was more accurate than I thought. Glad I’m a AAA gold member, 8 tows a year up to 100 miles for me and the better half. It's money well spent!!

While I'm trying to figure out that I'm out of gas, yea, should be obvious, right? There was an extreme amount of vacuum on the tank, to the point it looks to have collapsed the tank some. It’s no longer flat across the bottom. Once home, I drained the gas tank, about 2 gallons, and tweaked the sending unit. Got enough gas in it to make it back to the station for more fuel. It’s a 20 gallon and tank and spitting back like its full at about 15 gallons.

Tuesday evening was a new set of spark plugs in preparation of carb work on Wednesday. Currently, it cranks cold and goes to an idle without a choke. Then the fumes will burn your eyes once its warmed up.

Wednesday, A buddy from work came over to help with the carb. We drove it around to get it warm, then made the turn onto the feeder of the toll road and hit it from a roll in first gear, all of second, and into third. Evan’s comment was "it should have been better". Told him I had to look at the linkage, I don't think it's opening all the way. 

Back at the house, I worked on the linkage, it was getting about 1/2 half way open. Details, details. Evan played with the carb. He dropped the jets sizes on the primary & secondary plates and played with the idle screws. Now it’s more cold natured when it first cranks but doesn’t burn your eyes when it gets warm. Took the same route back to the feeder. Did the same run through the gears and was amazed how fast I exceeded the speed limit!! Evan was more impressed.

Took Sheryl out later that evening for drive to show the progress. She was excited, scared, laughing, and telling me to slow the hell down. Thankfully, she was too busy hanging on to hit me. We did manage to drive it about 25 miles. The speedometer is within 2 MPH of the speed in my Waze app.

Thursday evening was spent on the A/C controls.  Programming the controls was not difficult, but it took me 45 minutes of trouble shooting to figure out I never hooked up the keyed hot!! Can’t tell ya why I didn’t finish it, but I bet I had a good reason at the time. Also found a tab on the starter switch that’s hot when the key is off and in accessory while I’m trying to re-install it in the form a sparking sound. Got the battery disconnected and the switch back out, figured out the tab in the picture was hot, and slipped a insulated flat blade connector over it. Now its all back together.

Pic 7719

Friday night, we drove it to dinner with a friend that retired last year. It was a little un-nerving to leave it in the parking lot by itself. I did take the coil wire with me though. Bruce that did the body and paint work told me to never worry about someone stealing it, his words were “its green and it’s a coupe, no one wants it”. We drove it around some more. Stopped for gas and later for custard.

Pic E7723

Saturday was charging the air conditioner and watching the temperature. Its blowing cold air with my 4 foot shop fan blowing at the radiator. I don’t have a gauge that shows the actual degrees, so I use a infrared gun on the intake side of the thermostat. Its running in the 190 to 195 range with a 195 degree thermostat and one hole drilled in it. Don’t remember what size the hole is now. Moved the fan out of the way and stuck a thermometer in the radiator, it went to 205 / 210 idling in the driveway. Ambient temp was 95, the car was in the shade, no air movement except for the fan blade. Going down the road, the temp gauge rides where it has without the air conditioner.

Pic E7724

Pic 7725

The first test drive with the windows up and this song comes on the radio. 

Pic 7727

Sunday was spent washing and cleaning. We drove it to dinner, had to stop for gas again, it’s beginning to become a reoccurring theme. And I left the coil wire on it this time, but we were sitting outside and I could watch it. Later, I took it to the local car gathering at the nearby Freddie’s Frozen custard. It was a small turnout with about 8 cars, mostly Mustangs. That's John Worley's car next to mine with Steve Buzeks and Coupe Daddy's next to his. That's Coupe Daddy with his buddy Shorty in the picture. 

Pic 7731

I’ve drove it about 175 miles so far. The new list of things that need attention:
Check charge on AC, the air isn’t as cold as it should be when going down the road. It also seems like it satisfies the thermostat too soon and cuts out.
There are rattles in the door, other area seem OK
The Flow masters have to go. No telling what the noise from them is hiding.
Install trunk latch so I don’t have to use a screw driver
Need a better air cleaner
Valve covers are leaking oil.
Tires rub on big bumps
Gas Tank

Was out of town for work for part of the week and didn’t get a chance to do anything with the car till today. Managed to get the steering wheel aligned so its straight when the car is going straight. Took a rubber mallet to the front fenders to roll the lips in for tire clearance. The left rear fender lip was massaged too. Took a test drive the fender roll and empty the tank more so there’s less gas to drain. A couple of bumps later and it looks like I have clearance for now. Decided to extend the drive to the hardware store for small machine bolts to mount the back-up camera. Fired the car up to leave and the clutch goes to the floor!! I now have a puddle of fluid under the car. Time for another wrecker ride to the house.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/10/2022 7:44 PM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/05/2018 8:29 AM  #77

Short version of the clutch pedal is possible vibration issues that started around 50 MPH caused the hydraulic throw out bearing adjusting collar to back off. Front tires were out of balance, the driveshaft was good, and the transmission was rubbing on the cross member. After laying under the car and moving the weights around on the Centerforce, I decided to replace it with a McCleod. I don’t know that it added to the problem, but it was worth the hassle of not pulling it again. I am now good up to 80 MPH, so good enough for now. See the links for more details. I am still working at drive line angles. More on that later.

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=8980

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=6408.0

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I was in a time crunch and didn’t take the time to capture the moment!!

I got the factory window trim moldings straightened and polished. I think I scared the 
guy I scheduled to get the glass sealed and trim installed when I told him how much I spent. He went to looking for reasons to not do it. Told me that the clips that all the suppliers sell are not right. Should have been green, not black. After he left, I decided to do it myself. 

After researching and watching videos, I gave it a whirl. How bad can it be, right? With help from Sheryl and the brother in law, we got both front and back out and back in with sealer without screwing them up. I used sealer that not supposed to dry hard. That sealer is like the white pipe dope that Plummer’s and Sprinkler fitter’s use......just open it and it can get everywhere!! Since it was up on jack stands with the transmission laying under it, I passed on one of the video tip of using a water hose to check for leaks prior to installing the trim. I didn’t want the garage floor covered with that much water. In hindsight, I should have. 
One of the tips for the molding clips was to use a pair of pliers to tweak them just a bit to remove some of the tension prior to installing. “Makes the trim easier to go on” they said!! Since my clips were already on, I used a forked trim tool to open them up just a bit. Turned out to be too much on the front glass......there wasn’t enough tension left in the clips to keep the trim in place. Had to change most of the front clips out after spreading the sealer all around the glass. Talk about a mess!!
The trim went on again without too much fuss. It looks pretty good too. 

The brother in-law helped me get the clutch and transmission back in the car along with the new Borla mufflers on the Saturday before the trip. Did some grinding on the transmission cross member cause it was rubbing the transmission case.

Pic 7810

Pic 7813
Was still in the process of bleeding the clutch when he had to leave that night. It was really being a pain and I didn’t get it done till Sunday. 

Next up was the gas tank. It was a little collapsed from the gas cap not venting. Drained the gas, pinched off the gas line with vise grips, left the cap closed, regulated the air pressure down to 15 PSI and inflated the tank through the drain plug. It was pretty cool to see it expand back. I should have took a video.

A couple of pages and years back, I took a mallet and chunk of wood to level out the filler next in the tank. Turns out, this is a bad idea. I was more worried about getting the tank matched to the filler neck. The result is that level area is now the lowest point on the top side of the tank. Air gets trapped and the tank won’t get a full as it should!! I used some 2 x 4’s and a piece of all thread rod to raise it back up. 

Drove it to work on Monday, September 10th and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be for dealing with the other drivers in Houston rush hour traffic. Vibration now starting at 60. Yay progress. It also rained that day and I found water in the floors. ☹️ So much for getting the glass sealed.

Pic E7843

The weather was too bad to drive on Tuesday so it stayed in the garage. After work, I took a look at the throw out bearing and it looked like it hadn’t moved. I pulled the cross member for more grinding and went for another drive. Picked up a little more speed, and I got a chance to drive it in the rain. 😱 It went pretty good till the wipers stopped mid stroke about the 1 o’clock position. Turned them off and then they moved to the 2 o’clock position and stopped....then went ahead and parked.  Had Sheryl pick up a new wiper motor on Wednesday to take on the trip. I bought some Rain X too. 

I took off Wednesday to continue getting it ready for the bash trip. Kept pulling the cross member, grinding on it for clearance, and taking a test drive. Got it to the point I could run 80 before vibration started and called it good enough for now. Was up late getting the Wesco 3 point seat belts installed, door and side panels, door handles, and the front window cranks.  

Pic 7947

Thursday morning was spent getting a box of tools together. With 378 shake down miles and a full tank of gas, we headed out to meet with the caravan, Steve, Glen, Daze, John, Charles, and Felicia to make our way to Glen Rose. It’s a great feeling to be cruising down the road with all these folks. The temperature looks good after comparing with an infrared gun in the driveway, 70 MPH at 2000 RPM, and the left rear is back to rubbing with the trunk loaded on bumps! With the drop down on the seat belts, they ride over the shoulder nicely and are very comfortable.

Pic 8033

Pic 7883
Had my hands at the bottom of the wheel while Sheryl took the picture.

Pic 7885

Had lunch in Waco then filled up with gas just outside of town. I figured the tank at just over 17 MPG. Which was pretty amazing to me. 

On Friday morning, Sheryl and I went to Dinosaur Valley State Park to look at the tracks. Me and the car are sitting in the road while Sheryl is taking the picture.  The park ranger pulls up beside the car and I’m thinking he’s about to tell me to clear the road way, instead he kills that rattling diesel he’s driving and asks “is that a 67?”  Turns out he’s a Mustang nut. He got a guided tour of the car and we stood in the road blocking both lanes for about 10 minutes till more traffic appeared. 

pic 8025

When we were leaving the burger joint after lunch, there were several that did an exhibition of speed 😱😱and I followed suit. I think I was somewhere near 5K on the tach in second gear when the green water hit the windshield......dam, I know what causes that!! Coasted down from speed as far as I could then ran about 30 into town and stopped at the nearest convenient store before the engine over heated. Raised the hood and yep, another heater hose popped off cause the spring clamps don’t hold well enough on this thing. Done that twice with a remanufactured water pump from the parts house!! Barry, aka 50vert was riding with me and give me a hand getting the hose back on and topping off the radiator. 

Saturday was the Bash with a great turnout of cars. It was great to see the folks we’ve met at the two previous we’ve attended and everyone we met this time. 

On the way home Sunday, the caravan got separated by an Audi that was running about 5 MPH slower than we were when the road narrowed to one lane.  When I got a chance to pass, I grabbed fourth and went around as best I could without blowing off another heater hose. The two Mustangs behind me just about ran me over getting back in our lane. The dyno sheet said 450 HP and that should be enough for now, but the two cars behind me both had more. We had lunch in Waco, then ran together till the Waller area when we parted ways. 
We drove it to dinner on Sunday evening and I noticed that the rear tire seems to rub more now with the trunk empty than it did before the Glen Rose trip. I was thinking the springs were settling in more. Ordered a set of longer shackles on Monday. On Tuesday, I hit a bad bump and drive the tire into the fender lip hard. It gouged part of the rubber out and pulled the fender lip. When I pulled the tire to work the lip back in, I found my spring is more than settling. 

Pic 7960

Pic 8024

They both kinda match.....in a bad way. 

New 4 1/2 leaf Grab a trak standard eye springs have been ordered. Should get here next week. Taking a tip from Mustang Steve, I have ordered 1/2” lowered blocks and a 2 degree block for adjusting the pinion angle, if needed, that will be altered to center the rear end under the car with the new springs. 

The upholstery from TMI finally arrived. The 6 week estimated delivery was actually 12. Got new seat foam too. I will drop all the seat stuff off with the Upholstery guy to get them covered. 

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/10/2022 7:53 PM)

3/12/2019 8:15 PM  #78

Update from August 31 post on the TO DO list

Check charge on AC, the air isn’t as cold as it should be when going down the road. It also seems like it satisfies the thermostat too soon and cuts out. Charge is good. work in progress
There are rattles in the door, other area seem OK. Took care of prior to Bash with some of the wire loom cover over the actuator arms
The Flow masters have to go. No telling what the noise from them is hiding.  Borla's installed before the Bash, I can't say that they will stay for Michigan
Install trunk latch so I don’t have to use a screw driver. Installed during the Bash
Need a better air cleaner Picked one up from Steve's Mustang in Hockley before the Bash 
Valve covers are leaking oil. Both chrome valve covers installed prior to Lucky's Rod Run and no more oil leaks.
Tires rub on big bumps Still an issue at the end of February
Gas Tank Popped out before the Bash

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (3/12/2019 8:17 PM)

3/12/2019 8:46 PM  #79

Replaced all of the spring clamps on the heater hoses with worm drive clamps after the Bash. No more hoses popping apart.

The Grab A Tracks got installed and I was surprised it picked up about 5/8 of ride height. Took a picture for a  side by side comparison, there is a slight gap toward the front eye on the old spring. You couldn't see that isolator when I put the spring packs back together after blasting and painting.

Pic 8234

Pic 8236

If I ever go this far with a car again, I will start with new springs and leave the old stuff for the scrap pile.

Westside Upholstery installed all the seat covers and cleaned up the rear seat frame. The fronts look really great and are very comfortable. What I wasn't counting on is the new seat foam adding about an inch to the height of the seat. With the driver seat being powered, the inch is not much of an issue. The passenger seat is  more of an issue since its manual and sits up higher than the driver. The back seat looks really good. Not sure how comfortable it will be, not much room for me back there.

Pic 8239

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/10/2022 8:00 PM)

3/14/2019 10:54 AM  #80

For the tires rubbing on the big bumps. I used the Eastwood fender roller to press the lip down. You have to heat the paint up slightly so it doesn't crack. It cleared up about 95% of the tire rubbing. Loading car up with Bash level luggage and tools in the trunk made the problem appear again. Spoke with a local Mustang owner at a show and he showed me the coil over springs he put in his coup to stop that. Little bit stiffer in the back but hardly noticeable. Have had zero tires rubbing since. Mustang Steve warned against this because stiffer springs could cause issues with the metal. I have all new metal in my Fastback so any problem will show well after I am dead and gone.

3/16/2019 11:09 AM  #81

Thanks for the tip Ed, if I can get back your way, I may hit you up to borrow that fender roller. I still have a phobia to doing anything that could effect the paint. It took so many years to get it on the car and the money it took to do it!!

I think there is some truth to what MS is saying. My car had non functioning air shocks from a previous owner when I got it. The shock openings up top had stress cracks running toward the front of the car that I had to weld up.

I have a few more updates on the car before I get to what I’m doing on the rear end.

3/22/2019 11:12 PM  #82

I got tired of hearing the alternator belt squeal at start up. I couldn’t keep it tight enough for very long and took MS advice to ordered the HiPo pulley for the 3G. It went on before Lucky’s Rod Run, but it wasn’t necessarily a “bolt on” upgrade. The pulley hit the housing before it bottomed out on the shaft. Quick measuring said I needed about .030 to make up the difference. So, I cut washers out of an old license plate and flashing from my gutters. The downside was I had less than a full nut to to secure it.  Belt squeal at start up is now gone. Recently, I took the alternator & pulley to the Houston Engine and Balance to have it machined to fit. Jeff took enough off the back side to fit without washers and enough off the front for a full nut. The pulleys line up very well too. 

Pic 8666

Pic 8888

Pic 8887

Pic 8909

Pic 8910

Pic 9017

While it was on jack stands, I pulled the transmission cross member and found more witness marks where it was rubbing the transmission. A little more grinding and a shot of black paint, time for a test drive!! After a couple of stints around 90 on the freeway, it looks like all my vibrations are gone. But there is still a noise, it changes too. It has similarities to the sound of the bad axle shaft we had in our DD van years ago, but it’s not a constant roar. I guess you could say it changes volume at a steady speed. 

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/10/2022 8:51 PM)

3/22/2019 11:21 PM  #83

I borrowed a speedometer to learn how to reset the mileage. After watching a you tube video, it wasn’t that difficult. I got mine out of the car and set it to the mileage it should be from getting it running. Easy peasy.....then I blew out some dust that I saw in the mechanism. I didn’t use an  air hose or can of air, more like use your mouth to blow out a candle!!! Saw some stuff fly out, did it again, more stuff.......turns out the stuff was the numbers from my trip meter!!!!  Sent the speedometer and clock from the instrument cluster to Rocketman’s Classic Cougar for repairs. Bob is great to deal with, best through emails. Always a prompt response to questions. And the items come back packaged extremely well. 

Pic 9001

Pic 9003
I will have to change the mileage again since I drove the car another 80 miles or so with the borrowed speedo.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/10/2022 9:14 PM)

3/22/2019 11:41 PM  #84

Tire rub in the back has been an issue on the left side. The new leaf springs helped along with the little bit that I rolled the fender, but didn’t solve my problems. 

The trusty, semi rusty tape measure showed the rear end needed to shift 1/4” to the right to be centered. I wanted to use 1/2 lowering blocks that could be drilled to get the 1/4”. The downside was losing the 1/2” ride height from the blocks. After much deliberation, I unbolted the housing and rolled it to get at the alignment holes. Then proceeded to elongate them with a die grinder to get the 1/4” I needed and it helped a bunch. After driving about 75 miles, the rear end was sliding over on the elongated holes. So, I pulled the rear end out of the car and welded up the alignment holes in the perches. I’m not that great of a welder, but figured I could do this. Didn’t have any copper, but took a chance with some aluminum and wedged it against the bottom side of the hole. Was able to weld them out and keep the area in the spring perch relatively flat. The new holes to get it centered are drilled. The housing is bolted back in the car now. The bottom side of the car is not clean like it used to be!! I guess that happens when you get to drive it.

While I was trying to decide the best way for me to solve the problem, a buddy at work asked if the mounting pad of the rim could be machined down!! A call to American Racing, and the Tech guy says “yes, it can be machined“.  They recommended Baker Blackie Machine Works here in town for the machining and the shop would make the best determination on how much could safely be machined off. The pads are about 11/16” thick, then you subtract the recess for the acorn lug nuts. Which leaves around 1/2”. I settled at taking off .125”. He said it could go more, like up to .200, but it looked like it would be really thin to me. Much more than the 1/8” would have caused issues with the back side of the rim hitting the front calipers. Had all four rims machines. It was a reasonable price and he was spot on for when they would be ready.  For what you see of the lug bolt hole, it’s about 3/8” thick to the recess for the acorn nut.

Between centering the rear end and machining the wheels, I hope to be rid of the rubbing. If this doesn't work, I will be forced to roll the fender lips a good bit or convince my wife I need more rims.

Next project is the third member. It was well used and probably abused when I got it, but figured it would get me moving. Loaded it up in the bench vise for inspection. The manual said check back lash in several places, should be .008-.012. Mine ranged from .009-.016!!  I can see a ridge toward the valley on the pinion gear too. I will be buying bearings, gears, and plates for the traction lok unit to get it back together. Haven’t pulled it all the way apart to inspect the spider gears yet. 

8/11/2019 9:03 PM  #85

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Thanks Coupe,

After my wife got tired of watching me spend so much time looking for parts that I’ve bought over the years. She had this solution. I wish she would have thought about it sooner.

This is seriously ingenious! Your wife is truly a keeper. I thought it would be a great idea to install cabinets at my place. Bad idea for the reasons you already know. I can't find anything now.

Btw, just read thru your thread and I'm really impressed by what you've accomplished.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/12/2019 11:28 AM  #86

Yea, she's a keeper alright!! Marrying Sheryl was the best decision I ever made. And thanks for the kind words. I see that I am overdue for and update on the car. Hopefully I can get something added in the next month or so.

1/11/2020 10:09 PM  #87

It’s been awhile and I’m trying to catch up with this thread.

The gears were shot along with the bearings. With parts for Steve’s Mustang and Quick Performance it was time to tackle it. YouTube videos from Cartapes were a huge help. It’s a 4 part series you can find with a Google search. He is not the most interesting guy, but he provides a lot of detail.

Pic 9098

Pic 9100

Pic 9136

Pic 9137

Pic 9142

Pic 9143

My breaker bar was a casualty of the crush sleeve!!

And after all of that, the tires would still rub on occasion.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/10/2022 9:21 PM)

1/11/2020 10:31 PM  #88

With as many bugs worked out as I could get, we loaded up the car and headed for Adrian Michigan for the Mustang Steve Bash. Drove up with the Buzek’s and John Warley. I was really surprised that I got 18+ MPG out of a couple of tanks of gas. The car drove great and never gave us a problem. It built up my confidence for the drive home since we were going to be flying solo.

Pic 9642
We stayed one night in Brazil Indiana.

Pic 9648
A rest stop along the way.

Pic 9649
Checking into the Bash hotel.

Pic 9654
This was a cool looking old house that was converted to a business.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/10/2022 9:27 PM)

1/11/2020 10:45 PM  #89

We got to the hotel a day early to see some of the sites. On Friday, we drove into Detroit to the Henry Ford Museum. That place was cool. Lots of stuff to see other than cars.

Pic 9724

Pic 9776 and 9777
It was a great turn out of cars and people.

Pic 9790

Pic 9809

Pic 9793

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/10/2022 9:35 PM)

1/11/2020 10:59 PM  #90

The day after the Bash, we drove back to Detroit to drive through downtown and look at the old buildings. It’s great to see the architecture and how they used to give the buildings some character.

Driving the streets around the Henry Ford Museum, we found a place to stop and get a picture.

Pic 9834

Had lunch at the Ford Restaurant and found this Fairlane to park next to.

Pic 9835

Pic 9847

The next planned stop was Indianapolis for the night so we could see the speedway museum. Less than 20 minutes later we were on side of the road.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/10/2022 9:37 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.