FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2019 12:48 PM  #26

Re: So, how is your BASH THRASH going?

Drove it for another two hours...fast, slow, stopped, idling, shut off, re-start, stop & go, highway.  No stumbles, hicups, weird stuff....nuthin'.  Just sweet runnin'.  I'll probably keep doing this right up to bash time then fill the trunk with enough stuff to rebuild it and head north.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/25/2019 6:18 PM  #27

Well, in addition to the to do's on the list, there's the fix its that just appear. My 8k mile Milodon water pump has decided to start making noises. Swell. Milodon advertises 100% satisfaction guaranteed. We'll see.
As Roseanne Roseannadanna said, it's always something.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/25/2019 8:12 PM  #28

I probably need to start my bash thrash. 

5/25/2019 8:13 PM  #29

rpm wrote:

Well, in addition to the to do's on the list, there's the fix its that just appear. My 8k mile Milodon water pump has decided to start making noises. Swell. Milodon advertises 100% satisfaction guaranteed. We'll see.
As Roseanne Roseannadanna said, it's always something.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I LIKE
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/25/2019 8:26 PM  #30

Flowkooler is same as Milodon but has impeller plate

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/02/2019 10:46 AM  #31

yep, got crimped and charged 

Last edited by Don (6/02/2019 10:47 AM)

6/02/2019 4:10 PM  #32

I am very jealous of 32.9 degrees, even if you did pull that thermometer out of the freezer and stick it in that vent for the picture... 

I plan to take mine tomorrow to get it professionally done.  I went to check the charge on my car today and the high pressure gauge connection managed to deflate the entire system...  Seems typical of everything I have touched lately.

But my new intermittent, two speed windshield wipers work great! 

6/03/2019 9:18 PM  #33

I finally took the passenger door apart to fix the lock and latch connector issues. Problem was originally the door could not be unlocked from the outside. Barry tried to help me with it on last year's Bash and made the second problem, dropped on of the connecting rod end down inside the door. Swapped out to all new connecting rods found dropped parts reinstalled and everything works. 

6/04/2019 7:33 PM  #34

Went for a ride yesterday and the AC wasn't cool enough. 55º It won't take a charge. It's been cool outside every other time I've driven it so haven't paid much attention to it till yesterday. Getting it looked at.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

6/04/2019 8:58 PM  #35

I hooked up my R134a gauges to the car and the high side connection failed to seal, releasing all the Freon.  So, I took it to a shop in town to evacuate it and recharge.  $236 later, it was leak checked (no leaks) and new Freon "professionally' installed.  It now makes 48 degree air, exactly the same as before I *****ed with it.  And he says that is the best it can do.  I find that hard to believe.  It made a lot colder air when I installed it several years ago.  Will be calling Vintage Air to get their opinion.  If 48 is the best it can do, it is not a very decent air conditioning system.

6/05/2019 9:05 AM  #36

Steve, what was the OAT?   Auto A/C's will only cool to a certain temp below ambient.
 I agree 40 sucks unless it's 110 outside.
 Also if you are getting 32.9 I'm thinking the system will freeze solid.

Last edited by Rudi (6/05/2019 9:06 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/05/2019 9:08 AM  #37

Any chance you are getting some water flow through the unit from a valve that is not fully closing?

6/05/2019 6:01 PM  #38

Rudi wrote:

Steve, what was the OAT?   Auto A/C's will only cool to a certain temp below ambient.
 I agree 40 sucks unless it's 110 outside.
 Also if you are getting 32.9 I'm thinking the system will freeze solid.

It's not likely it will freeze solid, at least not internally because there isn't anything in there to freeze. Unless you have moisture in it but then it wouldn't be making 32*. It could freeze the condensate to the evap core. Still that's one helluva a/c system.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

6/05/2019 6:35 PM  #39

Got mine back from the shop. He evcauated and recharged it. He noticed that the compressor was not cycling so he installed a new temp cycle switch. He was able to get it down to 45º on Hi and that was it. It gets colder when it is on Low. He said if it got too cold the evaporator would freeze up on the outside of it from the condensation. Coming home from FWB it did just that and threw ice out the vents when it started to warm up........

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

6/05/2019 6:43 PM  #40

Mine is on inside cabin recycle only.  I put the thermostat at mid point.  The  fan was on low for that 32 photo.  The compressor cycles  at 30  off and  35 on again with fan on low and shady conditions. Haven't driven car because I'm doing many other little fixes.       

6/09/2019 2:55 PM  #41

Latest bash thrash adventure. Seven days til bash departure. Drove the 66 last night and NO LIGHTS!  No headlights, taillights, brake lights or gauge lights. Fiddling with the knob got headlights but nothing else.

So, remove gauge cluster AGAIN and replace with new MADE IN CHINA headlight switch from Autozone.
Well, that fixed everything. It took longer to get my cast aluminum gauge cluster fitted back in the dash than it took to fix the switch.

Wonder what will break next?

Car is using a little oil since the lifter incident. Oh, well...

6/09/2019 7:27 PM  #42

Today bash thrash officially  starts lol. All in 1 week lol installed all new emergency brake cables front wheel bearings speedometer cable and a used speedometer new tanks inc fuel tank and fuel lines. Took a 5 hour ride the fuel gauge stop working and with in the first 8 min Of the trip I was on the side of the Road out of gas ⛽️ On my way to the gas station lol thank you Steve Buzek for the gas  😂then  when the speedometer got to 99999 it’ started clicking like the engine was knocking Thank the Lord !!!! I have a week other than that the brakes work fine and the a/c was cold but all in all it was a great trip my youngest daughter made 21 pray all is well with everyone and pray safe traveling grace for all

6/09/2019 7:53 PM  #43

Your youngest is 21...........don't you mean 12?
You got married what???...............6 years old?

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/09/2019 8:29 PM  #44

Put the heap back in the shop today.  Checked the UCA bolts the other day and the left rear had loosened a bit.  Gonna re-check the alignment and see if I can find anything not working as planned...like my super wedge one-piece UCA shims. 

Hope I don't find anything major going on....would hate to eat my own words and have to drive the "Kia", butt (TS&T) I will if it comes to that.

PS:  The Heap took "Best Mustang" at the local show yesterday.  Of course, there were only five or six Mustangs but there was one pretty nice 69 Sport Roof.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (6/09/2019 8:31 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/09/2019 8:47 PM  #45

Bullet Bob wrote:

....would hate to eat my own words and have to drive the "Kia",

BB

If I can get out of my engagement that I have on the June 22 Ill be driving my KIA BB...LOL   Im only a couple hundred miles.

6/10/2019 5:16 PM  #46

Changed the oil.  Trying Royal Purple.  Checked everything else I could think of while on the lift. All looks good.  Have a very small rear main leak. Not enough to do anything about.  Need to replace the antenna. My own fault.  Think I will remove the leaf spring wedges now that I have the CV joint in the drive shaft and see what happens.  May have to put it back in.

6/10/2019 5:24 PM  #47

Bullet Bob wrote:

Put the heap back in the shop today.  Checked the UCA bolts the other day and the left rear had loosened a bit.  Gonna re-check the alignment and see if I can find anything not working as planned...like my super wedge one-piece UCA shims. 

Hope I don't find anything major going on....would hate to eat my own words and have to drive the "Kia", butt (TS&T) I will if it comes to that.

PS:  The Heap took "Best Mustang" at the local show yesterday.  Of course, there were only five or six Mustangs but there was one pretty nice 69 Sport Roof.

BB

Bob, you need a bigger wrench to get some leverage?

6/10/2019 5:53 PM  #48

Found out why I thought I had a UCA bolt working loose.  I checked the alignment then made a little adjustment to the left side and tightened the bolts.  That's when I remembered that the left rear bolt would spin in the UCA shaft if I didn't use an open end wrench on the bolt head.  After it's torqued to 90 ft lbs it will still spin at about 75 - 80 ft lbs which is why I thought it had loosened when I checked them the other day.
Right side caster and camber were right where I set it back in the winter.   Left side had changed just a bit...not enough to cause any trouble but I went ahead and made a tiny adjustment.
Then I perfected my ashtray GPS mount, lubed the hood hinges, and changed the oil.  Tomorrow it'll go for a fifty or 75 mile test drive and, hopefully, the Heap will be declared Bash Ready.

See y'all in a week and a half.

BB

6/10/2019 5:57 PM  #49

MS wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

Bob, you need a bigger wrench to get some leverage?

I made a custom wrench just for the UCA bolts.  Not quite a large as that one butt (TS&T) it works great and allows the use of a torque wrench if one is so inclined.
It'll be on display at the bash as long as nobody laughs at my bird shxx welding.

BB

6/11/2019 11:37 AM  #50

I just remember I have to roast some coffee for the trip. Man that is important.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.