FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2013 12:06 PM  #1

Headers source of interior noise/droning? 1966 Mustang

Hello all,

It has been a while since I have posted here, though I often sign in and read others' posts.

I have had the same 1966 Mustang fastback since 1979. That's 33 years, so I know it pretty well. In its current configuration it has a (Jasper remanufactured) 351 W with aluminum heads and a mild street cam. I have ceramic coated short - tube Hedman headers and brand new Magnaflow mufflers/stainless dual exhaust. 

My problem is that the interior noise when driving is just excessive. It is a loud, low frequency roar that is akin to riding in a big truck. I honestly do not know if it has gotten worse, or if I am just far less tollerent of it as I age. I actually purchased a professional sound meter to try to quantify some of my observations. 

I am wondering - straight off-- if having headers vs. cast iron exhaust manifolds makes a difference. That is the specific question I am focused on here today.  Can others offer opinions? 

For more data to assist in diagnosis, read on:

Let's eliminate road noise from the discussion. I am talking sitting in the car with the windows raised and the engie at idle, then progressively at faster idle speeds up to 3000 RPM. 

The sound meter has two dB scales, one is designed to tell you if there are significant amounts of low frequency noise in the sound. This is my issue. While at idle, the "standard" scale shows at 1000 RPM 64 dB on the dbA scale, and 94.2 on the dbC scale. That is a significant difference. 

There is Dynamat on EVERYsquare inch of the car's interior, including lining inside the doors an all the way up the firewall and on the cowl. My weatherstripping is perfect as possible on an old Mustang. The shifter hole is well insulated as well, so it is not a suspect for noise transmission. I also installed DynaShield mats on the car floors under the rugs for good measure. 

I just installed new Magnaflow mufflers to replace old Midas Turbos that I had assumed were the source of the problem. No joy, as the new Magnaflows sound just like the ancient mufflers they replaced.  Stainless exhaust system back to front, however I do NOT have a crossover pipe between the dual exhaust, as I could not make it fit, so went with straight pipes that do not cross. 

The underhood area is noisy, but there are no exhaust leaks. None. The noise under the hood is busily mechanical but is not associated with escaping exhaust gas. 

The engine is smooth, but not completly. I can see some wobble in the crank pulley that may (hopefully) be the result of a bent pulley and not a bent crank (God forbid) When revved up to 3000 RMP standing still there is some vibration.

Motor mounts are probably 25 years old now, I replaced them ages ago, but they are not showing signs of separation, etc. Could they be suspect?

Finally, you guys know the routine: guess at the problem, throw money at it, then get angry when the problem is the same as before the change. I hate that. 

Perhaps I am just getting very old, need to trade this in on a Prius and wear ear plugs. But I shudder at the thought. 

Kind regards, Bill Henderson

8/17/2013 12:24 PM  #2

Re: Headers source of interior noise/droning? 1966 Mustang

There's a lot of engineering calculations that can explain air flow and sound waves,, but to keep it simple just view the tech forums here explaining the VT mufflers.  Also a cross over pipe has been designed in by ford for a reason.  They also have a tech manuel that explains why. Lot s of details.  

I also changed out tubo mufflers and went to a stock mufflers,,  The only thing that worked was these VT mufflers.  MSteve is putting them on his 427 plug in-hybrid diesel fuelie  ,, wait and see if they work,,   He's messing around with a brakeline now,, after that maybe he will start his car.   

see here,,  

http://www.dynomax.com/press_releases/dynomax%C2%AE-introduces-revolutionary-drone-free-muffler.html

Last edited by Don (8/17/2013 12:26 PM)

8/17/2013 12:25 PM  #3

I know you said you can't fit it in, but I think an x-pipe or h-pipe would make a world of difference.

8/17/2013 2:14 PM  #4

How is the exhaust system supported?  If it has those weld-on straps with the little rubber washers, they are probably transmitting direct metal to metal vibration to the car body.  If the exhaust system is able to move more freely, with lots of rubber allowing some movement, then that may help the problem.

Pay close attention to Don's answers on acoustics and vibration.  That is what he does for a living.  Same with Gary Patrick.  They know a whole lot more about this stuff than I ever care to learn!  But there is alot  more to it than one might think.

If you put some better mufflers on it, it will make a huge difference.  Not saying these are better, but I had almost the same car as you, and I ran flowmaster 50's on it.  You did not hear any engine noise or exhaust noise or drone going down the highway, but it turned on when you stepped on it.

I just bought a set od VT mufflers after seeing how they performed on Don's 66.  Whisper quiet on the road and the valve opens up as needed at full gallop.  I am hoping these make it quieter yet.

Magnaflows have that really cool hotrod sound, if you are standing 50 feet behind the car like the TV commercials.  Probelm is... You can't drive the car from back there.  And remember why Foose likes them so much, too.  They fund his show.  I'm sure he would like JBAs (or insert any brand here) if they paid him more money than Magnaflow.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/17/2013 3:18 PM  #5

Thank you all, and I hope others continue to comment from experience. I wanted to post photos, but the system would not allow me as I have just signed in for the first time with my "new" login to the new board. 

Steve, are you saying that Magnaflows are not good? I mean from your experience. I never watch Foose, so I didn't buy them for that reason. I just read lots of road tests on the net and talked to the guys at Summitt Racing, and they told me that Flowmasters are louder than these. Most reviews seemed to say that the Magnaflows seemed quiet.

Regarding h-pipe, I am willing to try it again. When the last exhaust was installed, the mechanic could not make the H pipe fit, so he went with separate pipes. I have a lift now and will do it myself.

No one has suggested that the headers are the problem? 

I will surely read the material posted by Don , thanks so much.

Bill

8/17/2013 3:19 PM  #6

There are a number of suspicous areas and one in particular is the "vibration" and wobble as this is low frequency vibration that coulld be an issue regardless of mufflers  Next is motor mounts.  Just like replacing tires every five years, the elastomers in motor mounts break down with time.  They may eventually break but in most cases, the elastomers harden which means more transmission of motor vibration into the frame and body turning every flat panel into a speaker.  Anything hard plumbed or wired to the engine like battery cables or fuel lines also create a sound/vibration path.  Any direct contact between the exhaust system and the body also creates a path.  Check header clearance everywhere and then as Steve mentioned, pay close attention to your hanger system all the way to the tailpipes.  Your symptom of changing mufflers with no improvement in interior noise points to a "vibration short circuit" somewhere.  Also, pay attention to transmission clearance.  If you are running an aftermarket transmission it may lack clearance as well.  The corrections you have made with mats are very effective in reducing air-borne vibration but not necessarily good for structure-borne vibration.  I'd start with your mounts and then work your way back and eliminate any direct connection between driveline and exhaust and body.  You could even experiment with removing all hangers and supporting the exhaust with jack stands.  Last, before my 24 hour hotel internet expires, I am concerned with your engine vibration.  Regardless of the noise, you may have a damaged crank or a compoent on the crank that is hurting other parts.  Check this out sooner than later as this is something that you have to eliminate at the source rather than trying to insulate it from the rest of the car.  The other hard part with this is that with age it seems to be harder to point to a source - a rattle in back can sound like it is coming from the dash.  Have someone else listen to what you are hearing to see if your impressions match up.

Food for thought - unbalance forces increase at a rate of the square in the change in speed.  The unbalance forces at 1000 RPM are 9 times higher at 3000 RPM.  So, an unbalanced pulley or crank creates significantly higher forces as engine speed increases.

Last edited by GPatrick (8/17/2013 3:30 PM)

8/17/2013 3:29 PM  #7

Thank you too, GPatrick, this makes much sense. I used high quality hangersm but the exhaust is very TIGHT and does not move. I have a Tremec overdrive transmission and the clearance is indeed tight, but not touching... but I will check. 

Motor mounts are cheap, and I will replace mine.

H pipe can be sorted out, I will try and see what I can find.

VT mufflers sound interesting as well. 

Do you all think I should do all of this WITHOUT touching the headers? and see what happens? 

8/17/2013 5:56 PM  #8

Headers are not the issue, most likely.  Also, on the hangers, I forgot to mention...  Having some that are more stressed than others can cause problems.

As for the Magnaflows, they are pretty loud, but like I said, I had no problem with the flowmanster 50's.  They were very quiet at cruise and otherwise well-mannered.

8/17/2013 7:09 PM  #9

I agree with Steve re: the headers.  Headers are thin compared to cast manifolds and there is significantly greater surface area but from my experience this tends to enhance the higher frequencies - some "pinging" for lack of a better description.  I added a sentence at the end of my previous post regarding unbalance forces with respect to speed so unbalance is a real concern with low frequencies.  3000 RPM is only 50Hz which is pretty low frequency as far as the ear is concerned.  Sometimes when you merge a motor from one shop, a flywheel from another source, etc., you can also end up with an unbalance so it might be worthwhile reviewing your setup.  A mismatched 28 versus 40 oz-in unbalance is usually much more dramatic but even a few oz-in of unbalance can produce symptoms you are experiencing.

8/17/2013 8:06 PM  #10

Gary Patrick-

Much appreciated. I am not an engineer but I do a lot of technical reading and I write technical articles for the Studebaker Club.  I am a big fan of physics, if that does not sound too nerdy! So, I can appreciate everything you are saying.

One thing that struck me as very odd:  When I bought my remanufactured 351W engine from Jasper, I knew that my old engine had a crank (and therefore firing order) from a 289 Mustang.... it was that way when I bought it.  In buying the new engine, I decided I needed to buy a new harmonic balancer that was intended for a 351 engine, so I ordered one from Summit Racing. Well- when I bolted it on, the engine vibrated like mad-- even though I believed I had followed the directions and configured/ installed it the right way..and I switched back to the old balancer, deciding that metaphysics was at work here. 

I still have that other, new harmonic balancer sitting in its box. I never figured this one out. Maybe I erred putting it on, or, who knows.  Now, perhaps this is related, perhaps it is not. I just wanted to mention it. 

You can't balance a quarter on my air cleaner, but it is surely not "way off".

8/17/2013 9:05 PM  #11

351W uses same external balance as a 289 or 302.  The 5.0 engines used 50 ounce instead of 28 ounce like the earlier engines.  Sounds like you got a 50 ounce balancer.

The camshaft determines the firing order, not the crankshaft.  351W typcally has a different firing order 13726548 unlike the 289 or 302 15426378.  Of course, if you have a 302 camshaft in the 351W, you use the 154 order.

8/18/2013 11:32 AM  #12

See one more question, contained in the below (in bold)

Steve-  oops. Duh-- I knew that about the cam controlling the firing order....in fact, as I read your answer I recall that what you said was what I had determined the problem to be in the first place.

So, to all who were kind enough to answer, I am going to do the follwoing based on your advice:

1) I am going to put the car on the lift and look at every sqaure inch for contact between engine, headers, transmission and exhaust with the floors, frame or shock towers.
2) I am going to check to see if the wobble in my crank pulley comes from the pulley, or if there is runout apparant in the harmonic balancer itself.
3) I will check the binding of my exhaust hangers and see if I can "loosen things up" a bit. There needs to be a compromise, I guess between the way it used to swing in the breeze and the rock solid way I have it be bolted up now. 
4) I am going to change my old motor mounts. What do you fellows think of these (see attached image) , available from Mustangs Plus, that claim to be adjustable in all directions to help fine-adjustment of engine and trans placement to eliminate any touching or interference? They are bushed with urethane, which is something I have tried to avoid as my impression was that urethane is harsher than rubber in communicating vibrations and noise. 

Many many thanks to our great community of people willing to assist others. I am glad to be among you. 

8/18/2013 11:37 AM  #13

8/18/2013 11:40 AM  #14

8/18/2013 9:01 PM  #15

Although I am a BIG fan of noisey cars ...after a trip to Houston and back with Blowmaster 40's and ZERO tailpipes the roar was tooo much...even for  for me and my "youngster"!
I had an X-pipe butt-know tailpipes.
I installed the tailpipes(and they touch the body in a few spots) butt-watt a difference! I can hear the radio AND carry on a conversation
Although the X and H pipes have been proven to NOT increase much(if any) increase in power....they DO quieten the exhaust some.
Noise/tone is definately in the ear-of-the-beholder" I would bet the H/X pipe will make a noticeable difference in the sound department.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/19/2013 6:48 AM  #16

Ok  Now that we have gone into this and some have expressed a interest in "Physics"

here ya go,, a cheat sheet on everything you might want to know about sound

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Calculations03.htm

Have fun and don't forget that I warned you.. 

8/19/2013 9:01 AM  #17

I am running those Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts, and I love them.
Some people complain about added vibration due to them being urethane rather than rubber, but I noticed VERY LITTLE IF ANY added vibration.

8/21/2013 3:17 PM  #18

This message is to any and all who are following this thread.  I have an update on my progress, something that as a follower of this board I always like to see to help complete the story.

I followed the advice offered by Don and checked the car from stem to stern looking for a vibration "short circuit" as he called it, one that would transmit sound waves through contact, and I did find one.  The early - production transmission mount for my Tremec 5 speed transmission had a poorly fabricated add-on bracket for the emergency brake lever. The position of the bracket allowed the brake equalizer lever assembly to press squarely both against the back of the transmission tailshaft, and the car's frame. This is surely transmitting unwanted vibration and I never noticed it before.

I have spent the past evening re-engineering this assembly, eliminating the direct contact between transmission and frame rail stub.I don't know yet if this alone will have an effect on my problem, but I will advise.

I am still planning on installing the H-pipe, and then the adjustable motor mounts, in that order.

Thanks to all for the  help and encouragement.

8/22/2013 8:40 PM  #19

An update for those following this post:  Reworking the emergency brake lever mechanism so it no longer contacts transmission and frame has made a noticeable difference, lessening low frequency sound inside the car while cruising/driving by 3 dbC, and when lugging/accelerating by 5 dbC. This was clearly a factor, and thanks to Don for the helpful advice. 

I still have more items to address (H-pipe, mufflers, motor mounts)  and am recording my interior sound levels on a dB meter, will share progress on this thread as we go along in hopes of aiding others.

Many thanks to those who have contributed their opinios and expertise. 

8/23/2013 6:13 PM  #20

Another update:  Added welded H-Pipe today. Though I have not driven the car much since it was installed, I cannot report any noticeable difference in sound inside the car over not having it, both by "ear" and in using the db meter. It does however seem to improve acceleration power at mid-band, (it seems like it pulls harder) and the exhaust sounds smoother and more "nicely tuned" when I run it up to red line. I am glad I did it, but I can't say (so far) that I notice any change in the interior noise level/quality at speed. 

Next I am replaing my old BFG Radial TAs.... the old ones are 14 years old and look brand new, but the rubber is as hard as stone. We will see what change that brings. 

(for anyone reading this post and thinking to himself, "My, this guy works fast when something is bothering him", please do not alert my wife, who complains that when SHE asks for something to be done it takes me forever to get around to it)

8/24/2013 8:46 AM  #21

speaking of metal to metal contact . several years ago i read on this site about 64 to early 65 motor mounts that flex when the motor is under load or when you rev up the motor the fix was to drill a hole throught the motor mount and place a 1/2" bolt to keep the mount on the drivers side from flexing thats what i did.
now after reading this post iam wondering if that bolt is transmitting sound from the motor throught the bolt into the frame of the car?
anyone have any comments on this?

8/24/2013 9:37 AM  #22

If you bridged the rubber in the motor mount with that bolt, then yes, that could be transmitting sound to the frame. The motor mount through bolt is a racer's trick, not really recommended for street use. If your motor is "rearing up" when revved, you probably need new motor mounts. Rock Auto has stock pattern replacements cheap. Make sure you get the right style, there are several.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.