FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2013 9:31 PM  #1

Today's Mustang progress - Exhaust and mufflers

The low hanging h-pipe just had to go.  Since I had to remove the entire system to invert it so I could weld up all the joints, I went ahead and sliced off the bottom of the h-pipe.  I now have 4-3/4" clearance below the crossover pipe.

I made new hangers for the mufflers using the rubber parts from a Fox Mustang.  I made a bracket to bolt to the car body and one for the muffler pipe.  Both brackets are double shear with a 7/16" through-bolt with locknut.  The ugly bolt is just temporary, and the straps are not just welded on the ends.  There is a piece of a muffler clamp in there to add weld surface area to the risers and the muffler exit pipe.  It is now fully welded with a new bolt like the upper one.  This worked out very well, as there is now about 3/4" of possible movement in the system.  The modern hangers are the way to go.

I am thinking this is right where my final ride height is going to be in front.  Maybe a little bit lower once everything is installed.  I cut one full coil off the progressive springs to get it to go this low.  I would like 3/4" to 1" lower.  I want to test ride quality before cutting any more.  You can tell Tyler did not come to work today.  His main job was to put all the tools away...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/23/2013 9:44 PM  #2

Re: Today's Mustang progress - Exhaust and mufflers

steve,
nice work and it looks good..

with the h-pipe mod, you'll sleep well.

and the exhaust system......see, them thar foxbody stangs are good for sumptin....

and your garage........too clean man, too clean.....!!!

8/23/2013 11:54 PM  #3

MS, IDK bout the progressive cuttin.
 Hope it works fer Ya.
That is a purdy shade of blue.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

8/24/2013 7:32 AM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

The low hanging h-pipe just had to go.  Since I had to remove the entire system to invert it so I could weld up all the joints, I went ahead and sliced off the bottom of the h-pipe.  I now have 4-3/4" clearance below the crossover pipe.

I made new hangers for the mufflers using the rubber parts from a Fox Mustang.  I made a bracket to bolt to the car body and one for the muffler pipe.  Both brackets are double shear with a 7/16" through-bolt with locknut.  The ugly bolt is just temporary, and the straps are not just welded on the ends.  There is a piece of a muffler clamp in there to add weld surface area to the risers and the muffler exit pipe.  It is now fully welded with a new bolt like the upper one.  This worked out very well, as there is now about 3/4" of possible movement in the system.  The modern hangers are the way to go.

I am thinking this is right where my final ride height is going to be in front.  Maybe a little bit lower once everything is installed.  I cut one full coil off the progressive springs to get it to go this low.  I would like 3/4" to 1" lower.  I want to test ride quality before cutting any more.  You can tell Tyler did not come to work today.  His main job was to put all the tools away...

Perfect...keep it right there...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

8/24/2013 7:59 AM  #5

when are you going to fire that engine up,,  I'll come down and man the extinguisher   

8/24/2013 9:44 AM  #6

Did you use your shock tower jig to cut it off straight?

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

8/24/2013 9:44 AM  #7

Don wrote:

when are you going to fire that engine up,,  I'll come down and man the extinguisher   

Don... I'll give you a call.

Have you decided to drive your 66 to the bash with me?  The job will wait a few days...  Really, it will.

8/24/2013 10:23 AM  #8

You should make a video of that engine being fired  up for the first time.   Find a youngling....they seem to be real good at making the You Tube quality videos.

Yes............A video of that could be real special....and a training event for firing an engine as well.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/24/2013 10:40 AM  #9

MustangSteve wrote:

Don wrote:

Don... I'll give you a call.

Have you decided to drive your 66 to the bash with me?  The job will wait a few days...  Really, it will.

My last day is next Thrus 29 ,,I am still having withdrawal / denial issues and  am going to the Mecum auction here in Dallas on Sept 4-7 ,  I will wander around aimlessly and sit in cars pretending I might be a future bidder.  This can chear me up,,    

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/top_picks.cfm?AUCTION_ID=DA0913&utm_source=emv&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DA0913-166403&utm_term=Dallas%202013

Last edited by Don (8/24/2013 10:47 AM)

8/24/2013 11:00 AM  #10

Don, I don't care if you want to drive your new 67 Corvette convertible, just make the drive.  The bash won't be the same without you.  Its only 3 or 4 days, and you would enjoy the break from the drudgery of work and find work.

8/24/2013 11:27 AM  #11

yeah Don, get yer self to Nashville.........we'll go to Waffle House......my treat

8/24/2013 11:54 AM  #12

Looking good Steve

i think you made a smart choice by slicing the H-pipe
in my country it would not work,because off all those $%%$# speedbumps

Tonie

8/24/2013 2:51 PM  #13

Looks much nicer than your first attempt.    Ride height looks good to me.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.