FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2019 11:09 PM  #1

MS...first casualty of year for me

Just got home a few minutes ago after a wonderful afternoon at a car show called Buzz the Gut in Ishpeming,MI.
Clutch cable is toast.

Running Hooker 6901 headers on efi 5.0/T5 combo.
I know you mentioned it Steve at the bash and didn’t heed your warning.
Heck I didn’t even add extra protection for cable.
Cable sheath wire actually separated at plastic end at transmission bell.

What options do I have to avoid this in future?

8/11/2019 8:14 AM  #2

Re: MS...first casualty of year for me

I made a heat shield for mine similar to the ones on my Harley Sportster. I cut a section of exhaust pipe length wise and welded tabs to the inside of it so it attaches to the header pipe with hose clamps. It creates an air gap between the pipe and the cable.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

8/11/2019 12:00 PM  #3

Several companies make heat shield sleeves for spark plugs and wiring. I used a couple of the spark plug booties to protect my speedo cable and O2 sensor wires near the exhaust.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/11/2019 1:30 PM  #4

I used DEI 2” wide exhaust wrap with 2 layers.

Wrapped lower 18” from bell housing to bracket mounted on shock tower. With shorter cable I had to route between 6 & 7.  Had air gap along entire length.

Looking on MS site, I see new clutch cables are much longer to go around oil filter and along pan rail.

Even new cable has note of not with long tube headers.

I will have to try BillyC suggestion with new cable.

I’m guessing the slow cruise speed through town with 200-300 cars didn’t help either.

Bright side, wasn’t stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in 100 degree weather with a tornado chasing me.

Made it home after disconnecting cable and gently speed shifting.  I just zip tied clutch arm to cable mounting hole so parts wouldn’t end up destroying more stuff.  Was traveling with a group of friends, which was nice too.

8/11/2019 2:23 PM  #5

Replacement clutch cable is now longer than the one you have. I'd grab one of those which should allow you to route it in such a manner to keep it farther away from a heat source....

8/11/2019 8:41 PM  #6

Thanks JKB for suggestions.

Appreciate it.

8/12/2019 11:34 AM  #7

Here's how I replaced mine when it heated up and snapped !!  Bought  M-7553-C302 adj. clutch cable  cut to my desired length added heat shield  on a set of Hooker Headers long tube on 289 block with gt40 heads and Bergsen steering box also Scatter shield 
HOPE THE PHOTS HELP !!

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

8/12/2019 2:38 PM  #8

Vkt-66 I will look into that option as well.

May end up with a combination of these suggestions.

I used the non reflective header wrap, two layers only.
snaked between 6 & 7.
Clamped to shock tower.
Obviously not enough after slow speed driving.
Thanks for pictures too.

I had purchased the booster/cable clutch conversion second hand used...but never installed.
This kit was one of the earlier kits with the stockish length cable.
I was not aware of longer cable.
Don’t regret this conversion at all.
Definitely well made product too.
This requires less effort than my stock ‘92 clutch setup.

FYI for anyone considering these headers with T5 cable conversion.

The Hooker 6901 long tubes have two tubes next to block to clear the Z-bar.
Right smack in the way for cable clutch entrance.
If you’re a talented welder, you could fix it easily.
They’re very well built but hang a little low if your car is slammed to the ground.

8/13/2019 8:04 AM  #9

Longer cable will help.  I also modified the metal cable bracket to mount to an oil pan bolt and the bracket holds the cable closer to the oil pan. Insulate as others have described. Avoid sharp angles in the cable path as I saw in one of the pictures posted. Those will result in harder to push pedal and extra stress on the cable.
Otherwise, use reasonable headers better suited for the intended use of the car.  100 miles in stop & go traffic rarely requires huge long tube headers!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/13/2019 2:45 PM  #10

I understand your thinking.
But sometimes you get what you can afford at the time.

Gotta love the squirrels that make their winter nest in the muffler.
Bright side...Definitely better than the air cleaner or in the car.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions.
May eventually change out headers in future.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/13/2019 2:53 PM)

8/13/2019 8:52 PM  #11

Put the new longer cable on, insulate it and make a heat shield if needed. It will work for many years to come. Maybe you can get a better routing with the new cable.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/14/2019 8:35 PM  #12

I will definitely do that. Thanks guys!

8/16/2019 4:21 PM  #13

I have only had cables die by pushing the wires that make up the sheath through the end of the plastic fitting on the end of the cable. I made up some metal cable end/spacers that support the plastic fitting on the end instead of the flange and no more problem. I always wrap the cable with header wrap and a layer of thin aluminum (like flashing stuff from Lowes) and have never had a heat failure like melting even though my cable is right against a header tube.

8/16/2019 4:41 PM  #14

The short stock length cable pushed through the plastic end by bell housing.  I will try to reinforce that as well.   Heat melted the header wrap to exterior on lower 16-18” and appears inside melted the sheath to the cable.  Ordered the longer length from MS and will route near oil pan...I tried that route initially but cable wasn’t quit long enough.

Thanks for tip DC

8/17/2019 4:26 PM  #15

I believe you on the right track to clutch cable bliss.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/26/2019 5:53 PM  #16

I spent the whole weekend coming up with a way to install the new cable without incurring damage again with the Hooker 6901 long tube headers.

These were designed to clear the z-bar linkage originally.

I got an idea!

Use the open space for the clutch cable.

I offset cable mount and extended clutch arm to match so there wouldn’t be a side pull on plastic mount base.

Between heat, lack of heat barriers and side pull on cable base is how first cable failed.

Didn’t want to repeat.

I have the ‘65 mounts on my car.
Cable travels from transmission...over lower engine compartment brace...under ‘65 shock tower engine bracket...around oil filter...under export brace...firewall.
Might be able to have a better route with ‘66 shock tower engine bracket and motor mount.
I did insulate the major heat sources adjacent on engine side and below cable.
Also installed reflective heat wrap on cable too.

Drove it yesterday and was able to get initial adjustments made before calling it a day.
Even with relocation, I still have plenty of adjustment at firewall adjuster.
WOW...this shifts so much nicer than before.

Thanks for help guys!  I appreciate it.
Will try to add pictures when I get better cellular service.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Last edited by Nos681 (8/26/2019 5:59 PM)

8/26/2019 6:56 PM  #17

The clutch arm is moved toward rear in this picture.
During normal operation, there is plenty of clearance.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/26/2019 7:00 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.