FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2013 9:17 PM  #1

Rear Shocks 66 fastback

It's time to replace my rear Shocks Any Suggestions ,Anyone used the Edelbrock?
i can get Monroe Locally ,just want to know what worked for you Guys my car is just a Cruiser not raced

Jimmy O

8/24/2013 9:57 PM  #2

Re: Rear Shocks 66 fastback

Monroe is good if you just want a mushy ride.

I had Edelbrocks on the front of my car and they were fantastic, but I don't think they are available any more.  I just bought Bilsteins for my 66.  They seem really good but I have not driven them yet.

I screwed up and bought TWO rear sets of Bilsteins.  I have an extra set I would make you a deal on if interested.  I am going to put my Edelbrocks on the 69 coupe.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/25/2013 8:17 AM  #3

I have KYB GR-2 on my 66. Good ride and resaonably priced. I got mine at Jegs but I'm sure you could find them from many sources.

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

8/25/2013 1:53 PM  #4

Mustangs Plus Grab-a-Track rear shocks are same as Monroe. KYB GR-2 rears are now black, and are not the same quality as the old silver GR2 which were made in Japan. I tried to find the old ones, but none were to be found.  Of course, Bilsteins are better.

8/25/2013 2:42 PM  #5

whlnut wrote:

Mustangs Plus Grab-a-Track rear shocks are same as Monroe. KYB GR-2 rears are now black, and are not the same quality as the old silver GR2 which were made in Japan. I tried to find the old ones, but none were to be found. Of course, Bilsteins are better.

I looked on the Bilsteins home page and didn't see any offered for 66 mustangs.  ??

8/25/2013 5:45 PM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

I had Edelbrocks on the front of my car and they were fantastic, but I don't think they are available any more.  I just bought Bilsteins for my 66.  They seem really good but I have not driven them yet.

I screwed up and bought TWO rear sets of Bilsteins.  I have an extra set I would make you a deal on if interested.  I am going to put my Edelbrocks on the 69 coupe.

Ahh HA!! So we get the rest of the story. The Bilsteins weren't faulty.
Bring the extra rear set to Tenn MS. I'll make Me a deal on them.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

8/25/2013 7:19 PM  #7

I am very happy with KYB GR-2's on all four corners.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/25/2013 9:14 PM  #8

Tubo wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Ahh HA!! So we get the rest of the story. The Bilsteins weren't faulty.
Bring the extra rear set to Tenn MS. I'll make Me a deal on them.

Tubo

The FRONT Bilsteins had too wide a bolt pattern for the 66.  I sent them back and they sent me the right ones.  They bolted right in.  I jut wish the sides of the shock tube did not scrape on the upper shock mpunt.  Minor issue, easily fixable when the time comes.  Not a big deal on a car that has no drive shaft...

8/26/2013 11:00 AM  #9

imho,,koni's are the best for classic mustangs

but i don't know if they are easy to get in the US

Tonie

8/26/2013 3:12 PM  #10

I love the ride of the Billsteins on the Mach. They really helped the ride. I run a VERY Stiff setup and these have helped ease the teeth jarring...

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

8/26/2013 8:43 PM  #11

Bilstein - 'the last shock you'll ever have to buy' according to the word on the Street... You can get matching Bilsteins for the front with valving in three steps depending on the spring rate you're running.

Bought mine here:

http://www.streetortrack.com/Bilstein-rear-shock-for-65-73-Mustang-pr-24056.html

I'm running these with 180 lb/in TCP 4-1/2 leaf mid-eyes which they handle with aplomb.

(Pinto!)

8/26/2013 8:55 PM  #12

fastbackbhoy, your 2 new rear Bilsteins are on the way!

8/27/2013 9:25 AM  #13

I wish i could get bilsteins for my '64 fairlane. You mustang owners are lucky!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.