FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2020 4:10 PM  #1

65-66 front park lights

Can anyone explain why the front park lights go off when headlights are on?
Why?

3/24/2020 4:49 PM  #2

Re: 65-66 front park lights

Sure, because the car was designed in 1962/3.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/24/2020 5:54 PM  #3

It qualifies as an Energy Star vehicle....look for rebates

3/24/2020 6:31 PM  #4

Because wayyyyyy back then ( just ask BB or Rudi...2 old dudes) parking lights were just that.....lights you turned on when you were PARKED on the side of a road.  It was so blame dark, clowns in their Shivel-layz or Plymouths  would smash into you because there were no street lights (only oil powered lanterns).  Or, they were so 'slow' -like their cars- they didn't recognize another vehicle stopped on the side of the road.
Cars often times stopped on the side of roads for important things like rolling a cigarette or looking for  'the-church-key' to crack open a cold beer for the drive home.
Often times the parking lights were activated to give a little light inside the car.  Many times when engaged in ahhhhhhhhhh...more amorous endeavors like searching in your wallet for.......... "coverage"..... or the application therewith.
Many-many times the light in the all-important radio would be burned out and the interior/parking lights was needed to find WOWO or WLS or even The BIG APE (WAPE- Jacksonville radio stations on your AM dial.
On some occasions 'just the parking lights' were needed when bringing home your date a few minutes late (usually after 11:00pm) so her grouchy-old-daddy would have less of a warning to come out cussing & shooting because "you brought his baby-girl home late again........and I told you the last time to be on time........I know what you were doing..I can smell the beer and those stink'in cigarettes all the way up here......why are your clothes wrinkled and.....WERE is her panties"!!
Soooooo here are just a few reasons why the "parking-lights" were not always electrically connected to the headlights(which are now called RUNNING LIGHTS!!!)
Right Bullet??......Rudi?   That's what I 'heard'!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/24/2020 7:15 PM  #5

If you want them to stay on with the headlights just splice the parking light wire into the tail light wire at the headlight switch.

3/24/2020 7:26 PM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

Because wayyyyyy back then ( just ask BB or Rudi...2 old dudes) parking lights were just that.....lights you turned on when you were PARKED on the side of a road.  It was so blame dark, clowns in their Shivel-layz or Plymouths  would smash into you because there were no street lights (only oil powered lanterns).  Or, they were so 'slow' -like their cars- they didn't recognize another vehicle stopped on the side of the road.
Cars often times stopped on the side of roads for important things like rolling a cigarette or looking for  'the-church-key' to crack open a cold beer for the drive home.
Often times the parking lights were activated to give a little light inside the car.  Many times when engaged in ahhhhhhhhhh...more amorous endeavors like searching in your wallet for.......... "coverage"..... or the application therewith.
Many-many times the light in the all-important radio would be burned out and the interior/parking lights was needed to find WOWO or WLS or even The BIG APE (WAPE- Jacksonville radio stations on your AM dial.
On some occasions 'just the parking lights' were needed when bringing home your date a few minutes late (usually after 11:00pm) so her grouchy-old-daddy would have less of a warning to come out cussing & shooting because "you brought his baby-girl home late again........and I told you the last time to be on time........I know what you were doing..I can smell the beer and those stink'in cigarettes all the way up here......why are your clothes wrinkled and.....WERE is her panties"!!
Soooooo here are just a few reasons why the "parking-lights" were not always electrically connected to the headlights(which are now called RUNNING LIGHTS!!!)

6sal6

Ok guys...  We have got to find something to keep ol’ Sal busy during this social distancing quarantine!  But actually, I am really enjoying all the posts making their way to the forum lately.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/24/2020 8:12 PM  #7

Don't know how much distancing is goin' on ... learning more bout Sal every day!!

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/24/2020 8:22 PM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

All of the above Mike, like Meatloaf sung about the dashboard lights.
As for the parking lights, the practice came from Great Britain for parking at night. The Austen A-40 had a turn signal arm that flipped out from the B pillar it was left on all night. Could not get my head wrapped around that the first time I saw that over there. I guess it musta been alcohol related.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/24/2020 8:24 PM  #9

Rudi wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

All of the above Mike, like Meatloaf sung about “paradise by the dashboard lights”
As for the parking lights, the practice came from Great Britain for parking at night. The Austen A-40 had a turn signal arm that flipped out from the B pillar it was left on all night. Could not get my head wrapped around that the first time I saw that over there. I guess it musta been alcohol related.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/24/2020 8:40 PM  #10

Hey Mike, did you use the parking lights back in the day, when you ran off the road, I mean when your friend did? Those parking lights sure musta helped with jacking up the car and backing out of the ditch....

3/24/2020 10:45 PM  #11

josh-kebob wrote:

Hey Mike, did you use the parking lights back in the day, when you ran off the road, I mean when your friend did? Those parking lights sure musta helped with jacking up the car and backing out of the ditch....

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/24/2020 10:58 PM  #12

That was an A 30 Josh. Useta drive an A-35, by then, the  semaphore turn-signal indicators were replaced with modern lights. It was alcohol related ... from drinking the warm beer.
NZed still has a parking light law.
"Heavy motor vehicles and vehicles fitted with a flat deck or tray for carrying goods that are parked on the street at night must display a rear-facing red light that is visible at least 100m away and is on the side of the vehicle closest to the centre line."

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/24/2020 11:05 PM  #13

WOW and I thought we ran them in the day time to burn off excess voltage from the battery to make the car faster at night. LOL love you guys
Chris  we are now in lock down too out here in Oregon

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/25/2020 6:14 AM  #14

Texas! wrote:

If you want them to stay on with the headlights just splice the parking light wire into the tail light wire at the headlight switch.

They use a diode between the two so your headlights don't come on when you turn on the parking lights. That way you can sneak your girl friend up the drive way with out getting shot at, or what ever Mike was talking about.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/25/2020 12:33 PM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

Because wayyyyyy back then ( just ask BB or Rudi...2 old dudes) parking lights were just that.....lights you turned on when you were PARKED on the side of a road. It was so blame dark, clowns in their Shivel-layz or Plymouths would smash into you because there were no street lights (only oil powered lanterns). Or, they were so 'slow' -like their cars- they didn't recognize another vehicle stopped on the side of the road.
Cars often times stopped on the side of roads for important things like rolling a cigarette or looking for 'the-church-key' to crack open a cold beer for the drive home.
Often times the parking lights were activated to give a little light inside the car. Many times when engaged in ahhhhhhhhhh...more amorous endeavors like searching in your wallet for.......... "coverage"..... or the application therewith.
Right Bullet??......Rudi? That's what I 'heard'!!
6sal6

I have read this 3 times and laugh every time. Brings back memories of High School.

Last edited by RV6 (3/25/2020 12:35 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/25/2020 12:40 PM  #16

Nos681 wrote:

Why?

6S6's explanation is the best. 

I recalled that the 67 lights were the same way. So I just had to check. I placed the battery gently in its mount and took great care in attaching the cables. I turned on the park lights and nothing out of the front, butt the rears worked. So I turned on the ignition and tried the turn signals and they would only light the rears and the dash indicator. No blink. She-it another item to fix. I think the problem is in the column harness to under-dash harness connection as I have had problems with this connector before. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/25/2020 2:09 PM  #17

It's all Sal's fault Gary!

3/25/2020 9:42 PM  #18

gotta 'go-in-the-headlight-switch'............find the "plug" where the front parking lights are.....make ajumper between it and the rear tail lights. That'll mak'em work.
6s6

3/26/2020 5:40 AM  #19

RV6 wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Why?

6S6's explanation is the best. 

I recalled that the 67 lights were the same way. So I just had to check. I placed the battery gently in its mount and took great care in attaching the cables. I turned on the park lights and nothing out of the front, butt the rears worked. So I turned on the ignition and tried the turn signals and they would only light the rears and the dash indicator. No blink. She-it another item to fix. I think the problem is in the column harness to under-dash harness connection as I have had problems with this connector before. 

Just think Gary when you have finished installing you air conditioning system you will have a completely brand new rebuilt car and by then the bash will be on again. Gotta keep plugging away, Stay safe out there.

3/26/2020 2:04 PM  #20

a little off topic butt very fitting ages 17-19   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11MzbEcHlw

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.