FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2020 9:49 AM  #1

Machine Shop in Dallas Area?

Anyone know of someone who has lathe access or can do one off machine shop work? I need to take down the wheel spacers on my rear wheels by .125".  I have the slightest rub from my 255/65/17 tires when I hit a bump.  The rear fenders are tough to fold and this is the easiest solution.  

I just need someone who has a quality lathe to turn them down.  They are 6061-T6 aluminum, should be a piece of cake.

thanks

3/30/2020 10:24 AM  #2

Re: Machine Shop in Dallas Area?

I would gladly do it for you, but I’m in Canuckistan, shipping would kill ya. Sorry but I’m no help other than messing up your post. I have too much free time!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/30/2020 11:10 AM  #3

CHECK Discount Tire  might have a shop for wheel adjustments, years ago the Lewisville shop had one, ?? Maybe still do   

Last edited by Don (3/30/2020 11:12 AM)

3/30/2020 11:21 AM  #4

Get a lathe, they'll pay for themselves quickly, and they're out there for sale all the time. I've got a Monarch you can have, just pick it up here, or ship it $$$.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/30/2020 11:47 AM  #5

You'll give me a lathe?  This is a very small job, just turning down some aluminum by 1/8 of an inch.

I've only needed a lathe a handful of times in my life.  I don't have that kind of setup but I would be interested.  I got a buddy that has a pretty big garage.

3/30/2020 1:10 PM  #6

Yep.

That's what I thought also, till I got one. You'll find all kinds of projects to do.

3/30/2020 3:50 PM  #7

Oh man, I wish I could make a road trip to pick that up!

3/30/2020 5:20 PM  #8

Will you deliver?!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/30/2020 5:23 PM  #9

Bearing Bob wrote:

Get a lathe, they'll pay for themselves quickly, and they're out there for sale all the time. I've got a Monarch you can have, just pick it up here, or ship it $$$.

That is one honkin big motor on that little Monarck. Are the motors 220 3phase with VFD’s?

3/30/2020 9:47 PM  #10

Call mustangermike at mustangsteve.com
Contact info on the web site. He can machine anything.  Is in Cleburne.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/30/2020 11:52 PM  #11

Rudi wrote:

That is one honkin big motor on that little Monarck. Are the motors 220 3phase with VFD’s?

220, 221, whatever it takes

Rudi, I have no history on the Rube Goldberg motors and Baldor VFD. The printing on the box says "Baldor DC Drive". So I'm guessing the motors are DC??? One motor powers the spindle, the other powers the feed. I do know that when I plug the cord into a 110v outlet the motors run

Some previous owner removed the drive gears between the spindle and feed, so I'm guessing I won't be cutting threads on it. 

I was given this lathe, but it takes up too much valuable space in my shop. I can't see junking a 100 year old working lathe, so I'll keep it. The removable legs would make one heck of a table.

3/31/2020 6:46 AM  #12

It’s an interesting set up nevertheless, what did you replace it with?

3/31/2020 6:49 AM  #13

Hey Wand, if you can't find a "walk in" near you give me a holler.  If I can get them in my 9" Southbend I can probably help you out.  I'll send you my Ph. # via PM.  I'm assuming these are flat plate spacers and not "studded".

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/31/2020 8:47 AM  #14

These are 1 inch spacer, I ordered a pair of 3/4 spacers to try first.  That will bring in the wheels a full .250 from the fenders.  If the new ones bring in the wheels too much I'll go back to turning the 1" spacers down by an 1/8.

3/31/2020 9:34 AM  #15

Rudi wrote:

It’s an interesting set up nevertheless, what did you replace it with?

I've had an Atlas/Craftsman 9x36 for 25-30 years. A few years ago this Monarch was offered at no cost, so...
Might turn it into a rotary fixture for welding.

4/02/2020 2:55 PM  #16

Bearing Bob quotes Mr. Mom. Holy moly that is going deep in movie trivia areas.

4/02/2020 3:21 PM  #17

Glad to see somebody gets them. Quoted some from Stripes that got nothing.

4/02/2020 5:11 PM  #18

Bearing Bob wrote:

Glad to see somebody gets them. Quoted some from Stripes that got nothing.

"The removable legs make one heck of a table".

This^^^^^^^ quote?! 
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/02/2020 5:23 PM  #19

Na...It was in Coupe's patina getting painted April Fools thread.  I'll kill ya, and lighten up Francis.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.