FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2020 3:01 PM  #1

My fully OEM restored 68 FB is bouncy, squats and nose dives.....

Looking for Feedback on best bang for the Buck / Enhancement over OEM shocks.....also have massive Wheel Hop, Id rather not put Track Bars cause it requires welding, but If I must

have it narrowed down to :

KYB GR2
Scott Drake
KYB Gas Adjust

thoughts, feel free to give other brands or model numbers

4/10/2020 4:20 PM  #2

Re: My fully OEM restored 68 FB is bouncy, squats and nose dives.....

GR2 is stock performance, they have a new name and colour now Excel g or something like that, black and not silver anymore.
I have the next step up, the KYB gas adjusts, they are firm but not harsh.
There are big buck shocks out there, Bilstein, Koni and a bunch of others but unless you are autocrossing or serious canyon carving they are a waste, on street driven cars, IMO.
Don’t forget your choice should work in conjunction with the spring rates  on your vehicle, if your springs are baffed no shock can remedy that.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/10/2020 5:06 PM  #3

I replaced some 15 year old KYB Gas Adjust shocks with Bilstein Street valved shocks .... night and day difference. Butt as Rudi says, not cheap. Bought a set on sale for $350 on one of my trips to the States ... hadta throw them in a bin at the airport, cos gas charged shocks can't fly. Replaced with another set from an Oz agent for Street or Track. Another $600.
Butt ... I do luv'em.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

4/10/2020 5:44 PM  #4

Given the spottiness of Scott Drake stuff I wouldn't put SD branded shocks on my car if someone gave them to me.

I've run KYB Gas Adjust shocks for over 20 years.  They are good match for the springs I have in the car.  I think bang for the buck they are hard to beat. 

4/10/2020 5:57 PM  #5

You might stiffen up the rear springs a little by installing spring clamps on the front portion of the leaf springs. Works almost as good as track bars and no welding involved.  This and a little firmer rear shock should keep it from hopping when you "squeeze-it"!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/10/2020 7:29 PM  #6

Brilliant Folks, I was Leaning toward the KYB Gas Adjusts.....I had put G2's on my 69 (sold it) and no complaints, but I never did know a comparison......the car went from Shot everything suspension to all new 1"lowering stuff and those G2's.........Funny thing is, I didnt realize how much "TIGHTER" my 69 handled until now buying this 68 Fully Restored, but with OEM style equipment.....Im honestly SHOCKED. I can not, and afraid to drive it as Aggressively. (not taking turns like a racer but definitely wasnt afraid to go into it with some attitude).  This thing is All Straight Line and literally nothing else

Sally thanks for the Rear Leaf tip, I dont know what that is but I will LIKELY be getting them!

4/10/2020 9:40 PM  #7

Suggest Bilsteins if affordable for you. They really are better.
Replace rear springs now. You will do it eventually anyway after wasting time/effort on bandaids.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/10/2020 10:01 PM  #8

thanks MS, as always....

Bilsteins would be Ideal, but a little out of my budget......As for the rear leafs, theyre brand new 3yrs ago.....strange they would need replacing............

4/10/2020 11:37 PM  #9

6sally6 wrote:

You might stiffen up the rear springs a little by installing spring clamps on the front portion of the leaf springs. Works almost as good as track bars and no welding involved.  This and a little firmer rear shock should keep it from hopping when you "squeeze-it"!
6sal6

4/10/2020 11:55 PM  #10

MS wrote:

Replace rear springs now. You will do it eventually anyway after wasting time/effort on bandaids.

I would have to agree with Steve about spring replacement.
Ford used different springs depending on engine, options, and year.

4/11/2020 8:11 AM  #11

I add a heavy half leaf on top of the front half of spring pack and clamped it down. Took care of the most wheel hop on the red car.

4/11/2020 10:02 AM  #12

That's a good article! Over my 40 years of road racing, I finally learned a lot of that! From making big and multiple adjustments at once and adjusting myself right off of the road to one thing at a time and taking time to learn to drive that to the best before changing something else.

4/11/2020 10:06 AM  #13

My rule of thumb for suspension mods is get it all to work with the lowest spring rate you can! Always makes a more enjoyable and faster car if you are turning both ways!

4/11/2020 3:32 PM  #14

DC wrote:

My rule of thumb for suspension mods is get it all to work with the lowest spring rate you can! Always makes a more enjoyable and faster car if you are turning both ways!

Which is why any suspension work needs to start by stiffening the chassis so the springs can work on keeping the wheels in contact with the road instead of twisting the chassis.  If there's one glaring problem with every mustang ever built is the lack of a full frame rail front to back.  There's a front frame rail, a rear frame rail, and a sheet metal floor pan in the middle.  Fix that and you can cut your spring rates considerably without hurting handling (in fact it will improve because the car will now be predictable). 

4/11/2020 5:06 PM  #15

DC wrote:

I follow this thinking.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/11/2020 5:11 PM  #16

TKOPerformance wrote:

My rule of thumb for suspension mods is get it all to work with the lowest spring rate you can! stiffening the chassis so the springs can work on keeping the wheels in contact with the road instead of twisting the chassis.  If there's one glaring problem with every mustang ever built is the lack of a full frame rail front to back.  There's a front frame rail, a rear frame rail, and a sheet metal floor pan in the middle.  Fix that and you can cut your spring rates considerably without hurting handling (in fact it will improve because the car will now be predictable). 

This is why I installed subframe connectors, convertible inner rockers, one piece seat riser, and 6 point roll bar.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/11/2020 6:05 PM  #17

Wow, really went all out there.  I'll have to see if I feel the need for the roll bar as power climbs.  Trying to avoid it because they're a pain to deal with getting in and out of the car, plus loss of backseat access, etc.

4/11/2020 7:01 PM  #18

Question:  Have you done the Shelby/Arning drop on the front?  If not, it will probably help with the nose dive.  I know it really helped my '68 reduce body roll.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

4/11/2020 7:24 PM  #19

I have heard of it and have the jig here, but I never thought it would help with body roll or the nose dive.
Interesting.

The car is already lowered approx. 1.5" (likely more over stock), is this a problem?

4/11/2020 7:44 PM  #20

If the car has been lowered without changing the position of the upper control arm, then I'm guessing it was lowered by using shorter springs then.  Anyway, the Shelby/Arning drop lowers the connecting point of the upper control arm which changes the front end geometry.  This change in geometry is intended to reduce body roll and improve the tire to road contact surface throughout the front suspension travel.  I think this covers it in a nutshell.  Watch the following video starting at about time index 4:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVugDqaUW9M

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

4/11/2020 7:45 PM  #21

Oh, and if you do the Shelby drop, then I'd probably go back to standard height springs.

4/12/2020 9:34 AM  #22

With shocks you get what you pay for. I splurged for Bilstein Sports from Street or Track. Cheap no, worth every penny, absolutely!

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

4/12/2020 3:36 PM  #23

It seems a small change doing the drop, but it literally makes the car handle like night and day.  The camber curve is significantly better and you gain positive caster as well.  It helps literally everything handling wise. 

4/14/2020 4:50 AM  #24

Rufus68 wrote:

Oh, and if you do the Shelby drop, then I'd probably go back to standard height springs.

this is what I was Afraid of.....I just paid Good Money for a fully restored car, not redoing all this and spending all sorts of money.....I just converted to a T5 cause in my opinion if the car is 3 or 4spd, its just nonsense to Not!

anyhow, I have seen 1" lift blocks for the front springs perches, not a good idea?

4/14/2020 5:02 AM  #25

To install lift blocks you're going to have to remove the springs anyway.  At that point, just do it right and replace the springs.  If cost is an issue I'll bet someone on here has a spare set of springs they'd part with for you. 

You have to understand that when you buy a car vs. building it you are getting a previous owner's vision of the car, as well as his mistakes, and those of whoever he may have paid to work on it.  Its unfortunate, and at times frustrating, but that's the hobby.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.