FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2020 8:25 AM  #26

Re: Best AC unit and do I need the fresh air from the cowl?

Cold air is the way to go in Texas during the summer.  I will try to take some shots of Steve's install on my car.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

6/13/2020 3:17 PM  #27

almcgee wrote:

Cold air is the way to go in Texas during the summer.  I will try to take some shots of Steve's install on my car.

I will be putting the ac to good use here in SW florida.  lol

6/13/2020 3:18 PM  #28

Rudi wrote:

Steve is right about the are where you live, and the car! Convertibles have a great big fresh air vent when the top is down.
 I eliminated both left and right vents with my CAA install. The right one had to go as per install instructions, the left one mostly because of lack of real estate for all the AC outlet hoses and the EPAS install.
 Before AC the vents sure were a bonus but I do not miss them since I got cold air.

That's good to know.

6/13/2020 4:15 PM  #29

Rudi wrote:

Steve is right about the are where you live, and the car! Convertibles have a great big fresh air vent when the top is down.
 I eliminated both left and right vents with my CAA install. The right one had to go as per install instructions, the left one mostly because of lack of real estate for all the AC outlet hoses and the EPAS install.
 Before AC the vents sure were a bonus but I do not miss them since I got cold air.

I hate AC. I love fresh air. Fresh air at my feet when I have the window or vent window open is important to me. I went the extra steps and nabbed 67 correct AC vents so I could still have the footwell fresh air vent as the factory installed. 
I would miss my drivers side fresh air vent large time.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

6/13/2020 4:36 PM  #30

You need a convertable Gary. You can run the AC or the heater with the top down.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

6/13/2020 5:38 PM  #31

HudginJ3 wrote:

You need a convertable Gary. You can run the AC or the heater with the top down.

Doug, 
I have had 3 convertibles in my life and only one had A/C. I have been known to drive with the top down and the A/C on. 
Never again. My 86 GT Vert was, and will be, the last convertible I own.

Wife tells me to "Never say never"

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

6/14/2020 7:08 AM  #32

I will say, if you get stuck in the rain in a drop top in hot weather AC comes in quite handy.  My uncle had a '66 Chevelle convert that had AC (and almost every other option offered in '66, plus it was an SS396 car).  The AC does a far better job of keeping the windows clear than the defroster/defogger.  The trick is being able to remove the humidity from the air.  A lot of new cars actually use the AC for this instead of the heater I've noticed. 

6/14/2020 9:53 AM  #33

Ford used a/c compressor for all settings except vent. 

Even the blend selection used the compressor.
I know it was on friend’s 97 f150...new body style at the time. Vent was only time compressor was not used.
So much for fuel efficiency.

Last edited by Nos681 (6/14/2020 9:54 AM)

6/14/2020 1:40 PM  #34

Al’s AC valve on 65 with Vintage Air using the 5/8” foxbody hose between lower port and valve.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/15/2020 1:03 PM  #35

MS and BobE.

I noticed there is a difference to the heater core.
Intake manifold should go to which heater connection?

6/16/2020 9:06 AM  #36

Nos681 wrote:

MS and BobE.

I noticed there is a difference to the heater core.
Intake manifold should go to which heater connection?

Below are from the Vintage Air instructions I received. The valve stops flow thru the heater core so the core should not get "warm' with it installed on either the inlet or outlet.  However, with the valve connected on the inlet, I believe, it would better stop convection from occurring thru the heater hose.  This may make the A/C unit to have to work a little harder to overcome any 'heat' contained in the heater core.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/16/2020 1:47 PM  #37

Like Bob said, pressurized side of the core gets the valve. Same hose that goes to intake manifold, and to the lowest port on the heater core.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/16/2020 3:16 PM  #38

MS wrote:

Like Bob said, pressurized side of the core gets the valve. Same hose that goes to intake manifold, and to the lowest port on the heater core.

There is an discrepancy here, below is taken from the 1966 Ford Shop Manual.  It clear shows the inlet (intake manifold) going to the lower heater core tube.  The Vintage Air instructions show the inlet going to the upper tube.
I installed it per Vintage Air instructions and have had no issues with the A/C functioning very well.

Last edited by BobE (6/16/2020 3:17 PM)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/17/2020 11:25 PM  #39

BobE wrote:

MS wrote:

There is an discrepancy here, below is taken from the 1966 Ford Shop Manual.  It clear shows the inlet (intake manifold) going to the lower heater core tube.  The Vintage Air instructions show the inlet going to the upper tube.
I installed it per Vintage Air instructions and have had no issues with the A/C functioning very well.

I too installed just like VA said to do and love my new AC. Just want to reroute the hoses when I do my rebuild this fall.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.