FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/23/2020 11:42 PM  #1

T5 world class G force what to pick

Hi
Im asking this for a friend, and even I am a bit interested in what to pick. We both have the 73 mach 1 with the 351c, its putting out around 400-420 hp/400 nm or so. Everybody who puts in a manual transmission in their hot rodded car always chooses Tremec TKO or Magnum etc. The guys who puts in the T5 is always behind a stock engine. First of all you rarely see a used Tremec TKO in sweden and they are extremely expensive. The world class transmission shows up from time to time around for 600-700 usd and the regular T5 is easy to find. Is there a good option for using the T5 without going to the expensive tremec TKO ? I have rebuilt my own 4r70w so Im not afraid of picking the transmission apart :-) Is it worth getting the G force kit etc ? Ive read a thread about this before but I cant find again on the forum. Btw my friend likes to push the Mach 1 hard, Im more on the calm side :-)

Also are there others manual transmission with adapters to use ? Maybe from a diesel truck or something ?

regards Rob

6/24/2020 6:03 AM  #2

Re: T5 world class G force what to pick

I greatly prefer to increase the strength of the T5 vs. buying a Tremec.  The T5 has a much smoother/modern synchro design (same style used in the T56).  The Tremec relies on brass rings like transmissions from 40+ years ago.  They are brutally strong, but would never meet a car manufacturer's criteria for smoothness, etc.

Right now, G-Force is the way to go for the T5.  I've built a half dozen T5s using G-Force parts over the years.  Never had one fail.  Their official rating for strength is 600HP, 500lbs/ft, in a 3,500lb car on sticky tires. 

Rebuilding a T5 is not IMO terribly tough, though there are some tricks to it just like building an engine.  Making them live is largely about parts selection/inspection/repalcement, and setting the endplay on the shafts.  I can walk you through it.  Actually I'm getting ready to build a T5 for my '89 GT and was considering doing a How To for the forum. 

6/24/2020 7:10 AM  #3

I have a G force T5 but it will be more than a year before I get to drive it.

6/24/2020 7:13 AM  #4

A tutorial on this would be great :-) 
Whats the best deal for getting the G force parts ? and rebuild kit ?

6/24/2020 7:50 AM  #5

I found a T45 from cobra 32v 1997 its the wrong bellhousing for the 351c (can it be changed, anyone making a for 351c). Is that a better buy ? Less mods to it ? they are asking 1200 usd for it. There where las options then I thought on the scrap yard..

Last edited by Mach173 (6/24/2020 8:20 AM)

6/24/2020 10:50 AM  #6

I went with a G Force T-5 for the reasons noted by TKO.

6/24/2020 10:52 AM  #7

I'm NOT a tranny guy (no.......wait a minute!! .that didn't come out right!)
I've never rebuilt a transmission so no first hand knowledge butt.........keep in mind that when the rear tires break loose the strain on the trans goes wayyy down. Keep that in mind.  Now sticky slicks and the 'Big Mickeys' on the rear of a narrowed rear end are a different story!
As hot-rod-guys we tend to go........above and beyond/over-board sometimes just because we CAN!  Tunnel rams...big snotty camshafts...dual quads... 9" rear ends...4.11:1 gears..the list goes on. If your just gonna cruise your Mach1 most of the time a T-5 (modified or not) might  do the trick!?!  Of course a top loader ... Tremac....Lenco...all sound a lot more 'macho' than a T-5 soooooo ..........
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/24/2020 2:31 PM  #8

IMO $1200 for a used trans is absurd.  I never pay more than $350 for a used T5.  The T45 is a marginal upgrade over the T5 at best.  The T5 by contrast was used for decades in dozens of makes and models, so when it comes to putting it in something it didn't come in stock it has a big advantage.  Plus you can use a stock bellhousing to bolt a T5 to a 351C.  There may be one for a T45, but its not going to be something you pick up used for $150 on eBay or Craigslist. 

You aren't going to find a "deal" on G-Force parts.  G-Force has a tight leash on their vendors, and they are basically forced to sell the parts at G-Force's price to avoid competition.  Rebuild kit wise there's some variation, but I prefer to buy the most complete kit with the best quality parts rather than the cheapest one.  I source most of my parts (G-Force included) from Bob Hanlon at Hanlon Motorsports.  Best to call them.  Either Bob or Linda will answer.  Here's a link to his site:

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

Another good place is Astro, but they've been spotty of late.  The Owner has had some health issues and they are partitioning the company, with a partial buyout of part of the business.

On eBay you can sometimes find decent deals on Tremec or Borg/Warner parts for the T5 if you need hard parts like sliders, a 5th gear set, etc.  The things that won't be in the G-Force kit or the rebuild kit.  I've used plenty of aftermarket stuff for the T5 over the years, a lot of it made in India, and the quality has been fine.  OE parts are getting scarce and expensive. 

6/24/2020 11:21 PM  #9

TKOPerformance wrote:

IMO $1200 for a used trans is absurd.  I never pay more than $350 for a used T5.  The T45 is a marginal upgrade over the T5 at best.  The T5 by contrast was used for decades in dozens of makes and models, so when it comes to putting it in something it didn't come in stock it has a big advantage.  Plus you can use a stock bellhousing to bolt a T5 to a 351C.  There may be one for a T45, but its not going to be something you pick up used for $150 on eBay or Craigslist. 

You aren't going to find a "deal" on G-Force parts.  G-Force has a tight leash on their vendors, and they are basically forced to sell the parts at G-Force's price to avoid competition.  Rebuild kit wise there's some variation, but I prefer to buy the most complete kit with the best quality parts rather than the cheapest one.  I source most of my parts (G-Force included) from Bob Hanlon at Hanlon Motorsports.  Best to call them.  Either Bob or Linda will answer.  Here's a link to his site:

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

Another good place is Astro, but they've been spotty of late.  The Owner has had some health issues and they are partitioning the company, with a partial buyout of part of the business.

On eBay you can sometimes find decent deals on Tremec or Borg/Warner parts for the T5 if you need hard parts like sliders, a 5th gear set, etc.  The things that won't be in the G-Force kit or the rebuild kit.  I've used plenty of aftermarket stuff for the T5 over the years, a lot of it made in India, and the quality has been fine.  OE parts are getting scarce and expensive. 

Great info thanks, I have to look around to se what is available. Whats T5 would you choose as a starting point ? world class etc.

Regards Rob

6/25/2020 5:42 AM  #10

You cannot upgrade a NWC, so it must be a WC trans.

I would advise sourcing a Mustang WC T5 from a Fox body car.  Any year from '85-'93.  You could also use a '94-'95 SN95 WC T5, but the input shaft is a different length (G-Force kit will have a new input shaft so it doesn't matter).  There's also a couple minor differences in the case with the reverse fork, etc.  This also isn't an issue if you just reuse what's in the trans. 

The best way to know for sure the original application of the trans is the metal tag on the trans.  The casting numbers don't tell you anything.  The tag can be decoded here:

https://www.5speeds.com/t5/

6/25/2020 11:25 PM  #11

TKOPerformance wrote:

You cannot upgrade a NWC, so it must be a WC trans.

I would advise sourcing a Mustang WC T5 from a Fox body car.  Any year from '85-'93.  You could also use a '94-'95 SN95 WC T5, but the input shaft is a different length (G-Force kit will have a new input shaft so it doesn't matter).  There's also a couple minor differences in the case with the reverse fork, etc.  This also isn't an issue if you just reuse what's in the trans. 

The best way to know for sure the original application of the trans is the metal tag on the trans.  The casting numbers don't tell you anything.  The tag can be decoded here:

https://www.5speeds.com/t5/

Thanks now I have/we have a starting point :-)

6/30/2020 7:11 AM  #12

Contact Glen Buzik.  He knows what is going on with a T5 and what to do to beef it up to bullet proof.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

7/01/2020 5:05 AM  #13

almcgee wrote:

Contact Glen Buzik.  He knows what is going on with a T5 and what to do to beef it up to bullet proof.

Im in sweden so Il probably rebuild it my self. Thanks for info :-)

7/01/2020 9:34 AM  #14

Still say contact Glen Buzik for all your information needs.  He is on this forum.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

7/01/2020 10:21 PM  #15

Mach173 wrote:

almcgee wrote:

Im in sweden so Il probably rebuild it my self. Thanks for info :-)

I just rebuilt two of my T5’s, never had done one before was always terrified. In the end, it was the most enjoyment I’ve had in a very long time. Not hard to rebuild at all. Go for it!

I went by the book:
“How to Rebuild and Modify High-Performance Manual Transmissions”
by Paul Cangialosi

He’s also got a ton of how-to videos on YouTube

https://youtu.be/PxYwNxCzguE

7/02/2020 3:18 AM  #16

Thanks for the info :-)

7/02/2020 5:39 AM  #17

Hers' the factory service manual in PDF format.  I can't believe I paid for mine like a sucker...

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf

7/03/2020 6:30 AM  #18

When G force builds the trans they perform a lot of detail work to the gears such as deburring.  I suggest you watch some of the videos of the G force trans being built so you can get the best results.  

7/03/2020 3:42 PM  #19

The biggest trick remains preloading the countershaft and input shaft bearings.  That tiny bit of play is enough to let things flex, and then boom!  I shoot for about 0.003" preload on the mainshaft and countergear.  A little less is fine, but you don't want much more.  0.004" may fly, but beyond that you'll start to wear out the bearings.

This is also why I prefer a countergear support plate in lieu of the stamped retainer.  Anything you can do to stop stuff moving around is going to make it more durable.  Its a $60 investment that's well worth it.

Then you really need to carefully inspect everything for chips, nicks, cracks, etc.  I junk anything that doesn't look factory fresh.  Its not worth going through all the effort of a rebuild to end up with a trans that still grinds going into a gear, pops out of a gear, etc. 

7/04/2020 12:32 AM  #20

Great info everyone thanks. I have watched the videos they are really good, he explains very well and it its to follow.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.