FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2020 6:52 AM  #26

Re: STOCK 289 Coupe, Aluminum 4bbl Edelbrock.

M1Mustang69 wrote:

I asked if there was a product to clean it. Of course new is ideal but this person does not want to spend the money, clearly, so new is not the obvious answer, like it would be for most of us obviously.

Let's stick to answering the questions asked

Well then captain obvious, go ahead and give CLR a try and report back with your results. What's obvious is your friends experience with mustang fuel tank issues wouldn't fill up a thimble.

7/11/2020 6:56 AM  #27

Awesome guys, thank you......TKO I agree and youre absolutely right, but he is a good friend of mine, I know hes not being douchey, im decently aware of their financial situation.....its more that the car isnt worth $5k of new parts ALL at once, but gradual stuff to keep it driving is ok...his bill this year is around $1k......

7/11/2020 8:17 AM  #28

Josh is right.  Put a new tank in it or you will be chasing this kind of crap forever. 

Or, remove the tank. Throw a three foot long piece of 1/4” steel chain in there with some Dawn and water.  Stand there for twenty minutes shaking the tank so the chain slides around the interior surface, scouring the inside of the tank. Rinse and repeat, then do a final rinse.
Reinstall the tank.  Fill tank 1/2 full.  Note gas coming from any pinholes in the tank.  Buy a new tank.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/11/2020 10:51 AM  #29

ok ok  lets all gather around,,,  time for a group HUG ,,,  

7/11/2020 6:31 PM  #30

LMAO MS....

well said Don....

7/11/2020 7:48 PM  #31

J B weld is your friend! Keep some in every tool box!

7/12/2020 6:53 AM  #32

I was talking to my father in law yesterday about a project one of his friends is starting.  Ironically it has a fuel tank that is impossible to get, so his technique is to use muriatic acid to clean the tank, then go to a 50/50 solution of acid and water (always pour acid into water not the other way around, my contribution from chemistry class), and then thoroughly rinse several times.  Were I forced to reuse a tank this is what I would do.  Make sure to wear proper protective gear (heavy gloves, respirator, etc).  Again though, I don't think the expense of the chemicals and protective gear is worth it given the cost of a new tank, nor the risk. 

7/12/2020 9:57 AM  #33

About 10 years ago, not having the means or desire to dump a lot of cash into my dad’s El Camino.
An old timer I happen to meet at the local weld shop, said he and his brother were able to pressure wash and reuse a gas tank in a hot rod...don’t even remember what it was.

I had nothing to loose, besides the gas had all evaporated from the Texas heat over 10 years prior.
The bottom to the El Camino tank looked like dried up/ cracked mud in the south.
By the time I was done, the bottom of the tank was still shiny and a couple of spots surface rust.
After soap/water and pressure washer I put a couple of cups of Wd-40 and sloshed it around.

Gas tank was reusable...but required some time to mess with.
This was a Texas truck so I wasn’t so concerned about rust, but knew I was taking a chance and a few days of effort.
Still no leaks for gas tank, just the transmission.😂

7/12/2020 4:37 PM  #34

If'n I was in his socks I would consider posts 20 and 21. Get a new gasket, remove the sending unit and look at the inside with a flashlight and mirror. Then you will know which direction to go next. I have no experience with CLR. If there is rust in the tank you are sunk. There used to be "Sloshing Compound" available in the old days but I think it has been outlawed for good obvious reasons.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

7/13/2020 7:08 PM  #35

IF............dropping LESS THAN a 100 bucks (with a drain plug) for a Mustang is "out of his reach"........maybe he needs a less expen$ive hobby (or just save-up 'til he can $wing it).
Rock Auto gott'em for 79 BUCKS!!! (with a drain plug)
Jus say'in
6sal6  (everybody on here knows  how cheap I am and I bought a new tank)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/14/2020 5:01 AM  #36

We're in Canada.  And let's be mindful of people's financial situations.  Fundamentally we do not know what anyone is going through. $200CAN or more with a sending unit maybe out of reach for some.
Plus he doesn't turn any wrenches so now there's labour.

It's not a hobby for him, he's owned the car for 40yrs

7/14/2020 5:53 AM  #37

I'm not going to judge what is and what is not a legitimate budget constraint.  What I am going to say is that when money is tight its NOT the time to not do things right because money is tight.  The biggest danger when money is tight isn't doing things right; its doing things twice.

I too have a buddy that was always having money issues.  He sold a perfectly reliable Civic and bought a '95 Lightning.  It was making a clicking noise on takeoff.  I told him the u-joints were bad.  He was convinced that wasn't it.  A tossed driveshaft, a tow bill, and a new driveshaft turned a $30 problem into a $375 problem.

Then it started making another noise.  The rear was basically shot.  I rebuilt it for him.  New gears, new bearings, and rebuilt the LSD.  I told him it needed axles.  No money for that.  A year later it broke an axle, which wiped out everything I'd already replaced.  Saved $250 to throw $600 in the toilet. 

I'd love to tell you those were the only stories I had, but I'd be lying.  All of this also places $0 value on my time.  Eventually he came around to what I was telling him for years.  Now when we (and by we, I really mean I) work on something I give him a list of parts and thus far no recurrence of having to do things twice. 

7/14/2020 9:05 AM  #38

As I mentioned earlier, cleaning an old gas tank can result in pinhole leaks when the rust is cleaned away. 

Doing this is not only financially foolish, but can be very dangerous.

What is the first thing one does when they clean out and reinstall that old tank?   They go fill it up with gas. 

Since most of those pinholes are under the top of the tank due to prior condensation issues, gas sloshes up through the holes and gets the trunk mat saturated or fills up the valley around the tank perimeter.  Or, they park it in the garage and don’t notice the gas leaking on the floor as they sleep.   Ever wonder why gas water heaters in the garage are always mounted up off the floor?

My whole point is:   It is not worth it to deal with a tank that has problems. Dangerous, as well as the junk continually flaking off the inside will cause untold carb problems for now on.

Like TKO explained, those who refuse to do things like this in a proper fashion shoukd just learn to do it themselves. 

Been there, done stupid stuff when I was young and broke, and learned from it.  The hard way.  Like I always say... I didn’t learn all this crap by doing it right the first time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/14/2020 10:28 AM  #39

The old adage penny wise, pound foolish comes to mind.

7/14/2020 11:42 AM  #40

M1Mustang69 wrote:

We're in Canada.  And let's be mindful of people's financial situations.  Fundamentally we do not know what anyone is going through. $200CAN or more with a sending unit maybe out of reach for some.
Plus he doesn't turn any wrenches so now there's labour.

It's not a hobby for him, he's owned the car for 40yrs

The last time I checked some early Mustang gas tanks were made in Canada and that Canadian Tire could get them at a reasonable price. As for the sender, might be some good Used ones floating around out there at a good price. Might be worth a try.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/15/2020 4:59 AM  #41

I heard this the other day: Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.  Oh so true.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.