FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/07/2020 11:51 AM  #1

Somebody stop me...

Found a 66 A code convertible.  No rust, not wrecked.  No engine or trans.   Just all apart for real good price.  Hate to pass it up for $5k.  Not sure I have another build in me.

pic hosting

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/07/2020 12:36 PM  #2

Re: Somebody stop me...

Them wheels should blow the deal.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/07/2020 1:50 PM  #3

Go for it, you're young.  Butt, finish something before you dive into it.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/07/2020 2:02 PM  #4

Do it! YOLO. Just the thing for the "stay at home during the virus" crowd. You've probably got most of the stuff you need just laying around - and you need to break in that new shop with a new project!

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/07/2020 2:21 PM  #5

I still have this to build before I can even think of another project.  I purposely built the shop only 30’ deep so I COULD NOT stick an extra inoperable car in there end-to-end.

8/07/2020 2:39 PM  #6

Well s o ing a like you have already made up your mind, well kind of lol

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

8/07/2020 3:01 PM  #7

Sell me your 56 and then you have space and money for the new project.  lol

8/08/2020 6:15 AM  #8

Its troubling that $5k is now considered a good price.  When I started this hobby that thing might've fetch $500.

Two schools of thought on this:

1.) The wrong car at the right price is still the wrong car.
2.) Is there money to be made with a quick flip?  Drop a motor and trans in it, get it running and driving, and what's it worth then?  How much would that take?  How much of what you need to do it do you already have, or could source easily from other forum members?

8/08/2020 8:59 PM  #9

How is it you come across all the awesomest finds?
That vert rocks!  All my spares would complete that car all the way up to body & paint.
Good luck deciding what to do.

8/08/2020 9:11 PM  #10

Sure , what’s one more build to guy of your caliber??  Between the house garage and shop, you should be good for one more car.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/09/2020 6:37 AM  #11

it appears to me hat vert would fit under the 56 pickup.

8/10/2020 5:09 AM  #12

Prof wrote:

How is it you come across all the awesomest finds?
That vert rocks! All my spares would complete that car all the way up to body & paint.
Good luck deciding what to do.

And that first line probably explains what you should do.  You keep stumbling across these finds.  How does that keep happening if you aren't looking for them?  Consciously or unconsciously you seem drawn to projects. 

8/10/2020 12:50 PM  #13

MS wrote:

I still have this to build before I can even think of another project. I purposely built the shop only 30’ deep so I COULD NOT stick an extra inoperable car in there end-to-end.

Wow!  That's really nice!

8/10/2020 2:45 PM  #14

Wish I had your troubles.  lol   Great find, I've always wanted to restore a vert.

8/10/2020 9:56 PM  #15

So MS - did you buy it?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/11/2020 8:05 AM  #16

Did you buy it or did someone stop you ? It's the question of the day

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

8/12/2020 11:58 AM  #17

Nice...!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/12/2020 4:05 PM  #18

My leg pain was not so bad today, so I drove the half mile to go look at the convertible.  This really is a rust-free car that has never been bent.  The top is shot but the top frame components are in nice shape. The floor still have original paint on them and no surface rust.  Underside is original and not rusty. Doors and fenders are off but in great shape. This is probably the nicest mustang project I have ever come across.
No engine or trans... or title. 

After a thorough walk-around inspection, the A code vin was evident on the passenger side, but the driver side vin had been nicely cut out of the inner fender.  It was gone.   So, I bet there is another Mustang convertible registered somewhere with the vin from this car.  If it were not for the missing vin, I would gladly have bought the car.

Why would someone do this to a perfectly viable car?  Only thing I can figure is they bought this one cheap and placed the vin on another car, probably that was stolen.  Sure was sad to see the missing vin.  That number could turn up in another state or who knows...   not something I need to take a risk on.

8/13/2020 1:08 PM  #19

Is there no way to work around this issue? Can you use the vin that is still there? I don’t know what rules Texas has.
In Canada you can build a car and have it registered as a one off.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/13/2020 1:33 PM  #20

Rudi wrote:

Is there no way to work around this issue? Can you use the vin that is still there? I don’t know what rules Texas has.
In Canada you can build a car and have it registered as a one off.

The problem is the missing vin is probably nicely welded into someone’s stolen convertible, or otherwise used to clone an A code convertible.  A car with that vin likely exists somewhere, annd I do not want a car with compromised credentials.

8/13/2020 1:47 PM  #21

TRUE MS.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

8/13/2020 2:13 PM  #22

Call your local police/ sheriff department and have them run the vin. Just tell them the truth about you thinking of buying it. I've done that with cars and guns.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/13/2020 3:02 PM  #23

It's a shame, waste a solid car like that. I always said, it don't take a college degree to be a thief. A lot of stupid out there. Why not take a vin off some wrecked rusted car. If that car was in PA I'd find a vin for it, but I wouldn't pay 5K for the trouble.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

8/13/2020 4:19 PM  #24

Sheriff’s office says it is not stolen, per the vin. But that doesn’t mean that vin is not active on a car that was cloned and moved to another state. 

I just went through similar issues on my 68 GT500KR, so I don’t need the aggravation of dealing with it.

8/13/2020 7:44 PM  #25

MS wrote:

Sheriff’s office says it is not stolen, per the vin. But that doesn’t mean that vin is not active on a car that was cloned and moved to another state. 

I just went through similar issues on my 68 GT500KR, so I don’t need the aggravation of dealing with it.

But can they tell you where it is? Good chance it's not in the same place that you are seeing it.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.