FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2020 7:45 PM  #26

Re: Somebody stop me...

MS wrote:

Sheriff’s office says it is not stolen, per the vin. But that doesn’t mean that vin is not active on a car that was cloned and moved to another state. 

I just went through similar issues on my 68 GT500KR, so I don’t need the aggravation of dealing with it.

But can they tell you where it is? Good chance it's not in the same place that you are seeing it.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/13/2020 10:05 PM  #27

MS wrote:

Sheriff’s office says it is not stolen, per the vin. But that doesn’t mean that vin is not active on a car that was cloned and moved to another state. 

I just went through similar issues on my 68 GT500KR, so I don’t need the aggravation of dealing with it.

Absolutely. It can be reported stolen in a year and you'd still be screwed.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/14/2020 5:13 AM  #28

The car missing its VIN isn't stolen.  That car was used to make a stolen car legal.  The car that VIN is active on is the one that was stolen.

The problem with finding if the VIN is active is that you probably have to search each state individually.

Now, alternately, there is a way get a car a new VIN if the old ones are gone.  The police come out, inspect the car to make sure its not stolen, there's paperwork from them and then you go to the DMV and get a title and VIN.  In the end its pretty low risk. 

Or, find a rust heap convertible the same year and rebody it.  Cars this old that are actually rust free are so rare now that someone needs to resurrect it. 

8/14/2020 9:27 AM  #29

nice platform for a resto mod... could probably get the price down due to the vin then it would be worth it. Now that I'm in Idaho don't know the dealings with the DMV. I know in Arizona it can be a cluster.

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

8/14/2020 9:30 AM  #30

I'm with Steve on this one, it is a shame to have to pass, but who wants to deal with any of that crap down the road? What if you were passing through some random state on the way to the bash and were pulled over? Even if they do not doing anything you could be delayed or worse!

8/14/2020 10:00 AM  #31

I had my 68 mustang stolen in 1980. I have the keys, registration and police report still. I had the VIN number run and it no longer shows up in the system as stolen!! So I guess if you sit on a stolen car long enough, its not stolen?

8/14/2020 10:18 AM  #32

Unique Performance did the VIN cutting/swapping thing for Eleanors, and it came back to bite them. TKO is right, a fresh VIN might be possible but would have to jump a lot of hoops. The buyers of Unique Performance’s  69 Camaros, 70 Challengers, and myriad Mustangs got it done.  Title might say “rebuilt”, or “replica”. Dynacorn bodies get new VINs; why not this? Unique’s problems (crimes) refreshed a lot of laws in Texas for this.

I’d do it, only because I work in a rural county in Texas; can get a lot done with a friendly smile and a “You look like someone that can help me.”

Certainly great bones for a vintage road race car.

Paul

8/16/2020 9:31 AM  #33

The whole VIN/title thing I can tell you is state by state.  I know the process in DE, but if considering it in any other state do your research.  Typically it starts with the police, then a court, then notifications must be published and proven, back to court, back to the police, over the the DMV, and after a couple months now you're legal.  Done right, this will not be a salvage or "kit car" type title and registration.  I did this for my '67 Bronco. 

I imagine that after 7 years the statute of limitations on theft expire.  The insurance company has already paid out, moved on, and closed the file.  Could a disgruntled owner get it reopened?  Not sure, and again, might be state by state. 

The easiest route is still to rebody a wrecked/rusted car with it that's the same year, etc. 

8/16/2020 1:01 PM  #34

I might do it too!
After all........you have the time......(you're in the middle of a truck build......garage build.....Wuhan virus...et all)
Once the paper work is started (woo-nose...may not be ALL that bad, after all you ARE in Texas!)...it COULD just be letting the law take its course. So what if its 3-4-6- month!?  You're busy with other thangs now. 
Prolly won't see another rag-top Mustang like that one........ever?! 'Specially if the missing VIN tag helps you negotiate an even better price!!
"Go-on-and-Git-it........you know yo'nt too!!"
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/16/2020 1:16 PM  #35

I would make a low ball offer based on the title issue that would make it worth your while.  Then if it doesn't work out, you could move and not take a loss.

8/16/2020 9:34 PM  #36

No Second Or Third locations stamped,
'Ol Paint has 3 original stampings 1) front left 2) left rear under fender lip next to hood hinge.
3) rear right under fender lip near hood hinge. I Knew about about location 1 & 3
was surprised when i found  location 2

Cman

Last edited by cman66 (8/16/2020 9:35 PM)

8/17/2020 5:42 AM  #37

cman66 wrote:

No Second Or Third locations stamped,
'Ol Paint has 3 original stampings 1) front left 2) left rear under fender lip next to hood hinge.
3) rear right under fender lip near hood hinge. I Knew about about location 1 & 3
was surprised when i found  location 2

Cman

MS said he could see the vin on the pass side but the drivers side was cut out.

8/17/2020 6:25 AM  #38

RTM wrote:

I would make a low ball offer based on the title issue that would make it worth your while.  Then if it doesn't work out, you could move and not take a loss.

They are firm on the price.  If you want the phone number so you can make them an offer, just let me know.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/17/2020 11:00 AM  #39

MS wrote:

RTM wrote:

They are firm on the price. If you want the phone number so you can make them an offer, just let me know.

Thanks MS, I would if I wasn't in the middle of everything that's going on right now.  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.