FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/12/2020 7:25 PM  #1

Best instrument panel LED's?

So what have you used for your instrument panel LED's that are dim able? I want to use the original color. I can barely see the panel at night.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/12/2020 7:37 PM  #2

Re: Best instrument panel LED's?

I can barely see mine at night also, maybe because I have them turned off, maybe.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

9/12/2020 8:08 PM  #3

dakota digital a
has a dimming option on 

I went with this,, gets here next week  
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=805/category_id=434/mode=prod/prd805.htm Only =22px $795.00SKU: VHX-65F-MUS-K-W  =12pxDescription:
1965-66 Ford Mustang VHX Instruments - Style: Black AlloyColor: White,Add-On:=10px(Optional)=14pxGear Shift Sensor +($109.95)
=14pxLight Dimming Knob +($29.95)
=14pxOBD II / CAN Interface +($99.95)

Last edited by Don (9/12/2020 8:10 PM)

9/13/2020 3:07 PM  #4

That's a pretty neat mod. I spent some time looking at it. Looks like a lot of changes to the wiring. I don't know if I can talk myself into cuttin mine up. (Oh-oh, did I use an illegal word?)

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/13/2020 8:59 PM  #5

Don wrote:

dakota digital a
has a dimming option on 

I went with this,, gets here next week  
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=805/category_id=434/mode=prod/prd805.htm Only =22px $795.00SKU: VHX-65F-MUS-K-W  =12pxDescription:
1965-66 Ford Mustang VHX Instruments - Style: Black AlloyColor: White,Add-On:=10px(Optional)=14pxGear Shift Sensor +($109.95)
=14pxLight Dimming Knob +($29.95)
=14pxOBD II / CAN Interface +($99.95)

I'm leaning toward a Dakota Digital because of those options.  They have such sweet instrument clusters.

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

9/13/2020 9:43 PM  #6

Did I read correctly?  $800 plus installation?

As much as I would love to have one, it is way out of my range right now.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

9/13/2020 9:57 PM  #7

I sorta like the RTX series, butt not $1300 worth of like.
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1209/category_id=434/mode=prod/prd1209.htm

Last edited by 50vert (9/13/2020 10:02 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/13/2020 10:46 PM  #8

It’s LED.

Old school?😁

Seriously though, I still have incandescent for gauges.
I had my cluster apart a couple of years ago to replace the bezel.
On bezel, I painted the interior chrome white (back side) and cleaned up the metal divider/deflector.
I know some people will repaint the entire divider/deflector white as well.
The problem I see with that is the light is not evenly distributed across the face of the gauges.
My deflector has black painted on it in various spots to evenly distribute the light.
The back part of housing interior was all white, so I cleaned and sprayed a flat white on it.
I used Maguires plastic polish for my lens assembly too.
Could also replace color deflectors for bulbs.
Either change color or just new ones that allow the light to go through better.
Some times they melt and can distort/limit light transmission onto the gauge faces.

Note: the far right hand gauge is dim due to a burned out bulb.
Prior to install, installed all new incandescent bulbs.
And it was affordable for me and I am pleased with the results.

9/14/2020 4:08 PM  #9

I took the blue covers off mine (and got white applique/stick-on gauge covers) and it is very bright.
("How bright is it Johnny?") 
" Its sooo bright I need to wear a welding shield when I turn them on at night....bright!./ Its soooo bright my alternator goes into overdrive when I turn on the lights....bright!!/ Its soooo bright it blinds the driver BEHIND me when I turn them on.....bright!"
6sal6
They be bright!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/15/2020 5:39 AM  #10

I bought some from eBay - don't remember which seller.  

They were really, really loose in the lamp sockets ("How loose were they, Johnny?").  

"They were so loose that they fell out of the sockets as I was putting the cluster back in."  

T6S6  :-)

I threw them away and put the incandescent bulbs back in.

You do know, I assume, that they are not supposed to be very bright.  Ruins your night vision for seeing out the windshield if they are bright - especially for older eyes that don't adjust very well.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

9/15/2020 6:29 PM  #11

I agree John.

Another option which I prefer, use red, orange, or green...yellow maybe.

Red is used in navigation instruments for that same reason.
Easier for eyes to adjust.

An engineer I worked with in past explained that the human eye views things clearer with yellow/green colors.
That’s probably why fog lights are yellow or amber.

9/15/2020 9:23 PM  #12

The only thing I have to compare my car with is the daily drivers that I drive. They are newer 2 to 13 years old. Those instrument lights are fine comparatively. I don't recall the 70 being so dim but on the other hand the last time it was a daily driver was in the mid 80's. Therefore I'm thinking that LED's would be better for the electrical system because I am sure there is a lot of "dirt" causing the electrons to slow down. I expect that LED's are brighter than the normal bulbs, that is the reason I was asking if anyone had any experience with dimable LED's. Still asking. I was looking at these,   https://www.hipoparts.com/led-bulbs-gauge-light-kits/ ,     but they say they are only partly dimable.

9/16/2020 4:52 AM  #13

I get what you're saying and apologize for the useless post earlier but f the lighting is too dim to see the instruments well even with the light switch knob turned fully clockwise, maybe it would be worthwhile to troubleshoot that issue first.  The lights should get pretty bright - at least well enough to see the instrument pointers and the numbers on the speedo.  Could be a dirty potentiometer in the light switch or a bad connection somewhere.  It could also be that the bulbs are old and full of soot inside too.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

9/16/2020 8:19 AM  #14

There is no such thing as a useless post I do not. The bit about chunking them in the trash is very enlightening. 😄  I have cleaned all the contacts except the plug receptacle. On the 69 & 70 it is very delicate . I think a chemical of some kind would be the way to go, but what one?

9/16/2020 8:20 AM  #15

HudginJ3 wrote:

The only thing I have to compare my car with is the daily drivers that I drive. They are newer 2 to 13 years old. Those instrument lights are fine comparatively. I don't recall the 70 being so dim but on the other hand the last time it was a daily driver was in the mid 80's. Therefore I'm thinking that LED's would be better for the electrical system because I am sure there is a lot of "dirt" causing the electrons to slow down. I expect that LED's are brighter than the normal bulbs, that is the reason I was asking if anyone had any experience with dimable LED's. Still asking. I was looking at these, https://www.hipoparts.com/led-bulbs-gauge-light-kits/ , but they say they are only partly dimable.

I have the Hipoparts LED's for the 72. Went with the warm white and kept the old defusers. They are bright, but will  dim down to your likeness. They just can't be dim to a faint glow. Someday I might do the same for the 67, but then again we don't do much night driving.

Last edited by red351 (9/16/2020 8:21 AM)

9/16/2020 11:28 PM  #16

Nos681 wrote:

It’s LED.

Old school?😁

Seriously though, I still have incandescent for gauges.
I had my cluster apart a couple of years ago to replace the bezel.
On bezel, I painted the interior chrome white (back side) and cleaned up the metal divider/deflector.
I know some people will repaint the entire divider/deflector white as well.
The problem I see with that is the light is not evenly distributed across the face of the gauges.
My deflector has black painted on it in various spots to evenly distribute the light.
The back part of housing interior was all white, so I cleaned and sprayed a flat white on it.
I used Maguires plastic polish for my lens assembly too.
Could also replace color deflectors for bulbs.
Either change color or just new ones that allow the light to go through better.
Some times they melt and can distort/limit light transmission onto the gauge faces.

Note: the far right hand gauge is dim due to a burned out bulb.
Prior to install, installed all new incandescent bulbs.
And it was affordable for me and I am pleased with the results.

A bunch of people do a similar method on the 73-87 gm pick ups. Some of of those guys use aluminum tape or spray paint on the back side. KRYLON ALLUMINUM sprays really nice out of a spray bomb. It made a world of difference to my 85 K10 Silverado. I used it on my cluster and my taillight housings. I hate the look of fake chrome spray paint plus is just doesn't look right. Unless you go with chrome plating or brush on or createx chrome dang good products.

9/17/2020 8:13 AM  #17

FYI, there is a little bit of glare at night due to my modification on the bezel trim.
Originally it is black.
I painted mine.
I wasn’t sure if that would happen....it did.
I still like the look during daylight hours.

Yes, I pulled over to shoulder and stopped for this picture.😎

Last edited by Nos681 (9/17/2020 8:16 AM)

9/17/2020 3:21 PM  #18

John Ha wrote:

I apologize for the useless post earlier but..........

From the "KING of useless posts"  ...trust me,
you didn't make a useless post!!!!!!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/17/2020 8:18 PM  #19

Nos681 wrote:

FYI, there is a little bit of glare at night due to my modification on the bezel trim.
Originally it is black.
I painted mine.
I wasn’t sure if that would happen....it did.
I still like the look during daylight hours.

Yes, I pulled over to shoulder and stopped for this picture.😎

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.