FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2020 9:12 AM  #1

8” to 9” conversion

What are some of the “gotchas” for this?

Even a good article worth reading with details would be nice.
Upcoming project in near future.

I’ve heard springs, locating pins, pinion yokes, slip yoke, driveshafts, brakes, axles, bearings, etc.
Just no details were ever provided or proof...such as wrong part ordered and made to work kinda stuff.
I listened to stories with many questions as to why it didn’t go smoothly.
Just trying to cut through the B.S.....not back spacing either.😁

9/10/2020 10:20 AM  #2

Re: 8” to 9” conversion

It depends on what you want.  A same year basic 9” is pretty much straight up bolt-in.

If you want big bearings or heavier yoke, that is where the fun starts.  correct width, yoke size and brake flanges do differ.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/10/2020 10:32 AM  #3

I used a 9" rear out of a 59 Ford sedan for my 65.  This rear has the "small" bearings, with 28-Spline axles.  This rear bolted right onto the existing Mustang springs, no issues with the spring locating pins.  Pinion yokes are a PIA (from my experience) as some use 1-1/16" cups on one side and 1-1/8" on the other side of the u-joint so you'll have to check it out.  As I switched to the T-5 transmission, I had to get a shorter driveshaft.  I also switched to rear disc brakes instead of rebuilding the 9" drum brakes.
Having used the 57-59 9" in 65-66 Mustangs in the (distant) past, the driveshaft length was fine (with 4-speed toploaders), hydraulic and emergency brakes from the 9" simply hooked up w/o issues.
I'm not sure you can still get these old rears any more.  But if you're buying a rear from one of the suppliers, I believe they can set you up for whatever you want.
Also note that unless you plan to race your car, the 8" is fine for street use.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/10/2020 11:32 AM  #4

Here is how I did mine. I could loan you some of the tools if you are interested. The dog bone and donuts would ship easily. 

https://dazecars.com/dazed/narrowinga9.html

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

9/10/2020 11:42 AM  #5

Do any of these projects ever go smoothly.....you are asking for a lot Dan!! 

Good advice so fa and second the 8" for street use. I think a lot depends on the route you take.

A factory 65 Mustang 9" housing should bolt right in, finding one will be a different story. Once you do, it it will be expensive. I know a guy that paid $900 for one 5-6 years ago.

The 28 spline axle shafts and backing plates for the small bearing rear ends should be the same for both 8" and 9". 

If you buy an aftermarket housing, its doubtful to come with the tapered tubes that should be on your car now. You can spec it how you want for width dimensions and bearing sizes. Then it will be time for new U-bolts and plates. The factory width, your current bearing size, and shaft spline count should allow you to reuse you're existing axle shafts and brakes if an 8" is in your car already. If you choose a slightly narrowed housing to offset set a brake upgrade then axles come into play. I don't know that the factory shafts can be cut down. 

Specialty U-joints can get you past the mis-matched driveshaft and yoke. Finding them could be an issue and it will be more expensive than a standard U-joint. If you have to purchase a third member new, spec a yoke to match your existing drive shaft. 

If you have a MEGA horse power engine transplant in the future, but all new parts for the rear end, upgrade to 31 spline axles, get the big U-joints for the yoke, and upgrade the drive shaft to match!! 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/10/2020 12:18 PM  #6

Never-done-it...might-do-it in the future.
Butt.........don't overlook the 8.8. Way EZ'er to find than a 9" out of a 59 station wagon!
Prolly be hard pressed to 'shell-out' an 8.8 even with slicks!
Lotsa late model Mustangs drag raced with the 8.8 and you would be lighter than many of them..........jus say'in
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/10/2020 2:00 PM  #7

This post is like somewhere someone knew we were talking about this swap. No details though of what kind of 55 Ford it came out of. Can you guys tell if it is a 9"?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/d/fort-worth-1955-ford-rear-end/7192381009.html

9/10/2020 2:46 PM  #8

you should have bought the 9” rear that was in my car.

9/10/2020 3:08 PM  #9

Raymond_B wrote:

This post is like somewhere someone knew we were talking about this swap. No details though of what kind of 55 Ford it came out of. Can you guys tell if it is a 9"?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/d/fort-worth-1955-ford-rear-end/7192381009.html

9" started in 57.......
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/10/2020 3:19 PM  #10

The mistake I made with the first 9” I installed was buying new 28 spline axles for it.  Ultimately had to change to 31 spline on it when the 427 went it.  Spentbthat money twice. 

If you just buy an aftermarket replacement housing and third member with 28 splines, you can use the old 8” axles.

9/10/2020 3:37 PM  #11

Raymond_B wrote:

That ad says the rear end is offset.  You don't want an offset rear end.  So 8" or 9" doesn't matter much in this case.

(By the way, I think it is an 8")

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/10/2020 4:56 PM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

9" started in 57.......
6s6

Thanks! I did not know that.

9/10/2020 10:38 PM  #13

Raymond_B wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

9" started in 57.......
6s6

Thanks! I did not know that.

Wouldn’t that also be from a truck?
Axle pads are on top.

Would you run an 8” behind a 351w, stock or modified?

As for 31 spline axles?
Especially if housing isn’t stock width?
Can 31 splines be run in a small bearing housing?
I thought there is a conversion bearing for that setup too.

9/11/2020 12:19 AM  #14

Good eye on the pad orientation.

Ford put a 9 inch behind the 351, so...

31 spline axles fit with the correct small bearings.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/11/2020 10:38 AM  #15

Jegs lists a house brand 31 spline axle for 67-70 Mustangs. I have them in my car with the small bearings. Pass on the bearing kit from Jegs. I bought it then figured out they were the wrong size to late to return. 

There might be enough splines to cut them down for a 65-66. It would take some phone calls to confirm. If you go narrower than stock, then all bet are off. Aftermarket axles could be the next stop. I can't tell you if anybody is better than anyone else. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/12/2020 8:12 AM  #16

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Do any of these projects ever go smoothly.....you are asking for a lot Dan!!

John...

I can ask in one hand...
And you know what in the other hand...
And see which fills up first. 🤣

Thanks for advice guys.
I’m not in a rush, just thinking about what will be needed.
Winter is just around the corner...like 500 feet. 😂

9/20/2020 2:14 PM  #17

If you take the Daze axle build approach and use a banjo style housing you end up with what looks like a hipo 9 inch.  Its not as strong as the later style housing but it provides more clearance for exhaust.  I had one made for my old car and had a few more made that I had sold.  That was a long time ago when I use get get every 9 inch axle that came into junkyard.  Was good friends with the owner.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.