FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/09/2020 6:17 AM  #1

FPA HEADERS

Any body have any experience with FPA headers?  Ford Powertrain Applications

IF IT'S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD

10/09/2020 6:45 AM  #2

Re: FPA HEADERS

My friend has them on his 390 FE great fit but expensive, quality work.

10/09/2020 8:40 AM  #3

I have them on my 64.5 vert.  They are very well made and are the best fitting headers I have installed on any car. I installed both sides by myself in less than 45 minutes.  They tuck up very close to the car and aren't visible from the side- in fact, my  subframe connectors hang down lower.  They aren't cheap, but I think this is one of those situations where you really do get what you pay for.

10/09/2020 10:12 AM  #4

Chaplin wrote:

I have them on my 64.5 vert. They are very well made and are the best fitting headers I have installed on any car. I installed both sides by myself in less than 45 minutes. They tuck up very close to the car and aren't visible from the side- in fact, my subframe connectors hang down lower. They aren't cheap, but I think this is one of those situations where you really do get what you pay for.

Is that with a 351W or 302 engine?  Tri Y or 4 tube?   My long tubes scrape on the ground over bumps.  Thought about shorty headers to but I like the ease of the collector down below too.  

Last edited by Steve69 (10/09/2020 10:37 AM)

10/09/2020 12:13 PM  #5

The small block FPA headers are designed to fit with MustangSteve cable clutch system, as well.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/09/2020 12:54 PM  #6

Steve69 wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

I have them on my 64.5 vert. They are very well made and are the best fitting headers I have installed on any car. I installed both sides by myself in less than 45 minutes. They tuck up very close to the car and aren't visible from the side- in fact, my subframe connectors hang down lower. They aren't cheap, but I think this is one of those situations where you really do get what you pay for.

Is that with a 351W or 302 engine?  Tri Y or 4 tube?   My long tubes scrape on the ground over bumps.  Thought about shorty headers to but I like the ease of the collector down below too.  

302. 4 tube.

And I am using the MS cable clutch as well.

10/09/2020 4:05 PM  #7

I bought a set of their headers for my '65 Fastback and Stan is great to work with and help.  I have a 392 Ford Racing crate motor with the 392 Z392 aluminum heads.  The exhaust ports are 3/8 inch higher on the heads so regular headers wouldn't work with everything.  Stan was familiar enough with that motor where he said a set of headers for a '67 Mustang might work.  He offered to send me a set and allowed me to try them and not pay for them until later.  I installed them and they bolted up great.  I did have to dimple one tube on the driver side, to clear steering gear shaft on the rack and pinion set-up.  I can't say enough good about his handling my problem.  Like others have stated, they aren't cheap, but a lot cheaper than my having to have a custom set made up.

Last edited by retired65 (10/09/2020 4:05 PM)

10/10/2020 12:10 PM  #8

Reading here how well they fit and how they realy tuck up under the car I reached out to them and asked if they had a header for my 66 with the MII kit from Rod & Custom and they said yes.  It will cost me more to run their header versus the other options but I feel it will be worth it.   Especially because my car will be 2 inches lower and I did lower my engine just a tad when installing the mounts.

10/10/2020 5:29 PM  #9

I wish I'd heard of them before I bought my JBAs.  The JBAs are nice, but required me to put a pretty serious dent in one tube to clear my Borgesson steering, which I hear the FPAs clear with zero issues.  I've yet to hear any negative comments about them that don't involve cost, and honestly as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

10/12/2020 4:48 PM  #10

Thanks for the feed back it helped me make up my mind to spend the extra money. My car sits really low.

IF IT'S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD

10/13/2020 10:07 AM  #11

Chaplin wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

302. 4 tube.

I guess they only work with Cable or Hydraulic system.  Z bar is no go.

Last edited by Steve69 (10/13/2020 10:08 AM)

10/13/2020 11:34 AM  #12

Thanks for all the info on this forum, this is just one more reason to enjoy this forum.  I just got off the phone with Stan the owner of FPA and I am going with there headers over some other brand shortie type. he assured me that his long tube don't hang down below the frame and took the time to explain his headers. This will be well worth the price difference I feel.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

10/13/2020 11:54 AM  #13

Steve69 wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

302. 4 tube.

I guess they only work with Cable or Hydraulic system.  Z bar is no go.

That would be a question for Stan. When I talked with him about buying a set for my 390 car, the Borgeson box was more of an unknown to him for fitment then the Z-bar. For the Z-bar, he said it might need to be lifted a 1/4" to clear everything. You guys have more real-estate then I do down there, so it might be a non-issue. 

FPA's are pricey and worth ever penny. I can install them from the bottom by rocking the motor one side to the other on the mounts to snake them in. 

I strongly recommend some type of jet hot or ceramic coating for a long life. If possible, have it done after you test fit the headers, mine needed a few dimples. It was really a sick feeling to take a ball peen hammer to a $900 set of headers!!!  If you take the motor to get it dyno'd, the heat during dyno might deteriorate the coating, mine did. Use different headers for the dyno, or wait. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/13/2020 12:18 PM  #14

Cab4word67 wrote:

Thanks for all the info on this forum, this is just one more reason to enjoy this forum.  I just got off the phone with Stan the owner of FPA and I am going with there headers over some other brand shortie type. he assured me that his long tube don't hang down below the frame and took the time to explain his headers. This will be well worth the price difference I feel.

For reference, my bellhousing hangs lower than the FPAs.

10/18/2020 2:20 PM  #15

Friday I got a call from FPA but was unable to answer because I was at work.  It may be more because then need to make a sale but I found it rather impressive that they took the time to reach out to me following up on my email I had sent them.  Keep in mind they had already replied to my email.

The turn around time is a killer but for me I have time to wait.  I have a few more questions for them and may pull the trigger soon on my set.

10/20/2020 7:10 AM  #16

I noticed that they don't quote any prices on their website? What is the cost for these headers?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/20/2020 2:30 PM  #17

Toploader wrote:

I noticed that they don't quote any prices on their website? What is the cost for these headers?

Coated I'm looking at about $1,000.  I need a header to fit a 351W in a 66 with the Rod & Custom MII front end and a cable clutch.  I gave Stan my exhaust port size and other info but S​tan keeps calling me but I'm always at work when he calls.  I'll call him back soon but I'm also in no rush to buy just yet.  Just wanted a few questions answered.  I can only guess he doesn't like email and prefers to talk.  I prefer email so I can keep track of everything so I can refer back to it when I need it.

10/20/2020 4:19 PM  #18

Keep in mind a cheap set of coated headers are going to be $600, and you may have fitment issues, to say nothing of spark plug access.  Its like the saying goes, quality doesn't cost; it pays. 

10/20/2020 11:38 PM  #19

At first I was sticker shocked, but then I thought about what I paid for my headmens on the C10 and 1K is not bad at all when they fit like Stan says they will. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

10/23/2020 7:29 AM  #20

With MII front end, could you not just use foxbody type headers?  I paid $200 for some fox ceramic coated stainless headers on my truck.

While the FPA headers are great and will fit better than others, you are paying a huge premium for a header that clears all the stuff that your car does not even have any more!!!

remove duplicates from list online

10/23/2020 7:32 AM  #21

10/24/2020 4:24 PM  #22

MS wrote:

With MII front end, could you not just use foxbody type headers? I paid $200 for some fox ceramic coated stainless headers on my truck.

While the FPA headers are great and will fit better than others, you are paying a huge premium for a header that clears all the stuff that your car does not even have any more!!!

remove duplicates from list online

I have a part number somewhere that is a fox body header that another vintage mustang enthusiast used in his MII front swap.  I will have to dig it up but I can not recall if it was from your board or the vmf site.  But my fear is the car be lowered 2 inches and I want something that will compliment the 418 and the ground clearance.  

10/24/2020 5:09 PM  #23

Shorty headers like these will give you all the ground clearance you need!

10/25/2020 5:20 AM  #24

BBK 1569 is what a member on the vmf used in his 64 comet with an MII set up.

I have given some thought on using a shorty headers.  If I had a set to try and they fit well,then I may go that route.  I just don't want to end up buying something and then it not fitting and me chassing a cheaper header that fits to only end up spending as much money and more time than if I had just bought something that fit the first time around.

R&C recommends using JBA 1655

Last edited by RTM (10/25/2020 5:24 AM)

10/25/2020 5:28 AM  #25

I've also been looking at these [url=https://www.jegs.com/i/Doug's-Headers/776/D623/10002/-1?trk_msg=U3L0S0ISFPM4HEU84QBLB7TAGG&trk_contact=QTGMSORGHNOEMUAD06D0AERF2K&trk_module=bna&trk_sid=FRF9U5FHKSGOJ14AKPU93APES0&ltk_offer_expiration=9%2f30%2f2020+12%3a00%3a00+AM&ltk_offer=EM6481MLV&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Product&utm_campaign=GXP+Browse+Abandonment+-+Workflow&utm_content=Message+2]headers[/url].

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.