FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2020 12:26 AM  #1

Do'in a little spruc'in up on the old hot rod and.............

I need your input!
I've decided (since I live by the Atlantic Ocean!!)...to sand off all the rust and pits from my front bumper and paint it.
I think either the same gray as the body color OR....silver to look like a painted fiberglass racing bumper!?! Anybody got any ideas?
  This will be a low bux deal because........if it looks like yuck I will dump it and buy a chrome one.
Soooo I don't need to hear about powder coating or this or that.
Anybody painted theirs?!
Type of paint that MIGHT stick to sanded chrome?
Durability after painted?
Does it make you 'happy'?
Thank you for your support and I approve this.....(oh wait!!! I didn't mean that )
Thanx for your 'hep'!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/18/2020 12:41 AM  #2

Re: Do'in a little spruc'in up on the old hot rod and.............

I feel your pain and I have always liked the painted mono look on street rods. Good prep work and primer and I think any good rattle can paint will stick
Chris

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/18/2020 4:51 AM  #3

If there is any chrome left on the bumper it will be hard to get paint to stick to it.  I would sand blast the bumpers if you're looking for a lasting paint job.  If it's just a daily driver then sand away and paint.

Not sure what color my rear bumper will be yet but it will get painted.  I will cut it down and fit it tight to the body of the car for a clean look.

11/18/2020 5:56 AM  #4

I have yet to see a chrome paint that looks real.

11/18/2020 6:38 AM  #5

My thoughts would be have it blasted and powder coated silver.  It would look like the old glass bumpers on the race cars from the '60s.

There is chrome paint that looks realistic, but its not something you can shoot out of a rattle can.  Its a multi step process; and its not cheap.  Check this out:

https://alsacorp.com/product/killer-chrome/

11/18/2020 9:23 AM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

My thoughts would be have it blasted and powder coated silver.  It would look like the old glass bumpers on the race cars from the '60s.

There is chrome paint that looks realistic, but its not something you can shoot out of a rattle can.  Its a multi step process; and its not cheap.  Check this out:

That's pretty interesting, Tom.  I can think of a number of parts that might benefit from that stuff...like rusty C-4 shifter stalks.  I didn't read the entire site but I wonder about metal prep especially over old chrome.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/18/2020 12:56 PM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

That's pretty interesting, Tom.  I can think of a number of parts that might benefit from that stuff...like rusty C-4 shifter stalks.  I didn't read the entire site but I wonder about metal prep especially over old chrome.

BB1

IMO any time you paint over chrome it needs to be blasted for best adhesion.  One of chrome's virtues is that stuff doesn't stick to it very well.  IME nothing preps metal better for paint that blasting.  It just gives the right tooth to any metal to give the primer the best possible chance to adhere, and one the primer is thoroughly adhered getting the top coat(s) to stick should be cake. 

11/18/2020 2:05 PM  #8

Plasti Dip rattle cans Mike, about six bux a can at Home Depot, I think they have grey.
I used Plasti Dip black about four years ago on my tail light panel to see if I liked the look prior to real paint. It’s still on there but, gotta be careful with gasoline, it takes it off damn quick.
On an edit, be real apprehensive making things “pretty” it’s a real deep rabbit hole.

Last edited by Rudi (11/18/2020 2:46 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/20/2020 3:17 AM  #9

Is having the front and rear bumpers sent off to be re-chromed an option?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

11/20/2020 9:24 AM  #10

Toploader wrote:

Is having the front and rear bumpers sent off to be re-chromed an option?

It sure is! One of my big regrets is selling my o/e bumpers and buying repops even though the cost would have been tenfold. Rechroming is very, very expensive but offset by “ nothing fits like the original”

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/20/2020 9:57 AM  #11

My 'OE' bumpers have been looooong gone!
I was a late learner (about sorry re-pop stuff). I replaced several pieces that coulda been repaired with stuff that just don't fit.
I sprayed it with the silver paint and it looks pretty durn good. I may "temporarily" mount it and give it a look-see!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/20/2020 10:39 AM  #12

Info regarding bumper chrome:  In '14 I sent my Nordan bumpers (thought they were OEM when I bought the car) to New Age Plating in Houston.  Two bumpers, two 66 side trim, two vent window frames.  All in with shipping I Paid about $1450.  But, I got lucky.  The Nordan re-pops were apparently the only ones that were ever done right and I defy anyone to look at them and know they aren't OEM.
I spoke to a friend yesterday who had a bent 64 Olds front bumper repaired and re-plated by Salt Lake chrome...$1100. 

You get what you pay for and there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/20/2020 11:39 AM  #13

If it don't go, chrome it.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/20/2020 12:21 PM  #14

Bob, the Nordans are quite easily distinguished from an original bumper.  The Nordans are better formed, have smoother edges and fit better than the originals.
I still have my rear one.  The front one died during the great crash of ‘09.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/20/2020 5:22 PM  #15

MS wrote:

Bob, the Nordans are quite easily distinguished from an original bumper. The Nordans are better formed, have smoother edges and fit better than the originals.
I still have my rear one. The front one died during the great crash of ‘09.

We bought the Heap in July of 05 and I kept telling myself to order up a new set of Nordan bumpers.  Finally got around to it in 06 or 07...right after they went belly up.  Hmmph, perfect timing.

11/20/2020 6:23 PM  #16

I learned the hard way also with reproduction crap. So disappointing some of the aftermarket stuff you buy.
Stupid me discarded the original numbers back in about 2004. I did get some what I think we're Nordan's from Mustangs Unlimited in 2004. They fitted well, so they must be? I have some slight surface rust up in between the rear panel (fuel cap) and the top edge of the bumper. Hard to see it, but it's there. Based on this topic posted, I will be getting these rechromed.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

11/21/2020 10:16 PM  #17

buy a new chrome front bumper.  The fitment on the front bumpers is very good.  I have a pretty nice original in the attic; not perfect but no pits and a good daily driver;but, the repops are good and very reasonable.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.