FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2023 7:17 AM  #1

Adding Cruise control

I want to add cruise to my 64 Fairlane, seems like all the kits need a magnet added to drive shaft with pick up, my old kit that is on my 66 mustang hooked up to coil, works great but is no longer available, what are you all using for cruise, or do i have to do the magnet hook up on drive shaft. The Failane is a all stock 260, two speed and yes I still use points and condenser in it, it might hit 50,000 miles this summer, If it aint broke dont fix just enjoy it. And I Do

5/22/2023 10:07 AM  #2

Re: Adding Cruise control

Isn’t there something that inserts into the speedometer cable port on the transmission that in turn produces pulses?   You mount to speedo cable directly to it.

5/22/2023 10:41 AM  #3

that's what i thought but everyone i seen are GM style, I ll keep looking

5/22/2023 11:58 AM  #4

Jim Bowie wrote:

that's what i thought but everyone i seen are GM style, I ll keep looking

I think I have one or something like it in my tool box.  I don’t recall when or where I got it but it’s been sitting in my tool box for years.  I never really knew what it was or for.  I’ll try to remember and take picture of it tonight.  For all I know my memory could be playing tricks on me and it’s not what I think it is.   Lol

5/22/2023 2:54 PM  #5

My AOD’s speedo port will accept a Ford VSS. It generates a pulse that my Rostra CC accepts.
IIRC there is some kind of pulse generator that is connected in line on the speedo cable.
I have used the drive shaft magnet on another vehicle that I put a CC on. I used epoxy to fasten it to the drive shaft.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/22/2023 5:47 PM  #6

5/22/2023 9:01 PM  #7

I don’t have cruise control yet.

This is my setup:
T5 transmission (1992 mustang) with factory VSS to 1965 mustang speedometer (5 gauge cluster original).

The VSS fits in place of the speedometer cable.
I had a new 60” speedometer cable made to connect to factory’65 speedometer and plugs into the VSS.

The VSS is used for the factory EECIV ECM and cruise control.

Just transfer your plastic gear onto the new cable.

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury used this VSS for many years and models with fuel injection and was required for cruise control.

The cable was made by Speedometer Cables USA.
John Rullo was great about making exactly what I needed.

https://speedometercablesusa.com/

Last edited by Nos681 (5/22/2023 9:07 PM)

5/23/2023 5:09 AM  #8

On my 67 coupe with EEC IV, i used the VSS, but just drilled the plastic casing to 7/16 and slipped my speedo cable in. Worked perfect.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

5/23/2023 6:08 AM  #9

Thanks for the info, will look in to that Dakota Digital, looks like they make some kind of adapter for Ford, or whatever that VSS do dad is, What ever happened to simple, one wire to brake pedal, one power, one ground and one to distributor and away you go. Change is really hard for this old guy, or I will just glue on magnets, that will remind me of the JC Whitney times, Thanks again,

5/24/2023 2:23 PM  #10

Jim....I went with 'the magnet-on-the-shaft-trick' and it worked great until........
            my emergency brake cable managed to get wrapped around my front U-joint and cause "tremendous" havoc underneath the old hot rod!
Needless to say that wiped out the magnets and the lil pick-up that 'reads' the magnets as they spin around on the shaft
I said to my self......"self, no need to repair the magnet/pick-up thingie cause....
you gonna get the new & and improved VVS doo-jigger"
. That was 'a-few' years ago ....
BUTT..........the magnet set-up worked flawlessly !
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/24/2023 6:22 PM  #11

Jim,
Do what NOS says.  Use the 89ish ford VSS with a cable made to connect to the early ford speedo and the VSS.  Connecto the VSS to your Rostra or AudioVox (from Murph's Kits) and you will be happy.  Also, you can mount the cruise control servo under the dash to the right of the glove box on a 65/66.  Then let the cable make a nice smooth arc to the firewall inline with the throttle rod.  This makes a clean install and works perfect.  If your cruise doesn't come with a turn signal lever control you can get one made by Rostra from Summit, or you used to be able to.  Mine is an old AudioVox vacuum servo type and it's silent, or at least it is to me but Jean doesn't complain so I suspect it's at least quiet.  Glen and Steve mounted the one in Steves 67 this way and said that it's noisy, but that an electric servo type.  I just like the servo under the dash than being more crap under the hood. 
Hope we get to see you in Sept.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/24/2023 10:34 PM  #12

I am using both Digital Dakotas version and Rostra, there are in fact one in the same. I have the Rostra on my 65 stang and the Digital Dakota on my C10 both work very well. I use the turn signal controler

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/25/2023 5:36 AM  #13

Thanks All will do the VSS thing and have cable made up. That should give my right foot a little rest.

5/25/2023 8:06 AM  #14

When I did the Foxbody EFI on Cara’s 65 coupe, I used the stock VSS and modified the original speedo cable to attach to the VSS, using a piece of fuel hose and a couple of hose clamps. It worked and the cable did not leak or make noise.  So, it can be done without custom parts being purchased if you innovate a bit.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/25/2023 5:22 PM  #15

I just went looking for the part I thought I had and it’s not where I thought it should be.  But it looks like the part Nos681 posted.

5/26/2023 5:40 AM  #16

MS wrote:

When I did the Foxbody EFI on Cara’s 65 coupe, I used the stock VSS and modified the original speedo cable to attach to the VSS, using a piece of fuel hose and a couple of hose clamps. It worked and the cable did not leak or make noise. So, it can be done without custom parts being purchased if you innovate a bit.

Thanks Steve That's about all i can do I innovate.Been doing that a long time

6/05/2023 7:55 AM  #17

So received the VSS as Nos681 recommended, well now had to order pigtail that goes in it, we are getting close now for the install, question, is the pulse rate for the Ford VSS, 8000 per mile, and do you know if its a sine wave or square wave, also I assume that the one wire that go's to VSS is connected to one side of VSS and the other side is connected to ground., 

6/07/2023 6:26 AM  #18

Jim Bowie wrote:

So received the VSS as Nos681 recommended, well now had to order pigtail that goes in it, we are getting close now for the install, question, is the pulse rate for the Ford VSS, 8000 per mile, and do you know if its a sine wave or square wave, also I assume that the one wire that go's to VSS is connected to one side of VSS and the other side is connected to ground., 

So nobody know the answers?

6/07/2023 7:10 AM  #19

I have only connected them to EFI systems, Jim, and just tapped the positive for the cruise signal so, yes, I think neg to ground and pos to the cruise will work.  Can't recall the pulse rate but 8k sounds right.  Don't recall having to stipulate sine or square wave but I think it's a sine.  Rudi is running a VSS for his speedo and cruise and he isn't running EFI.  Maybe he will chime in.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/07/2023 8:04 AM  #20

I posted this on another forum in 2017, I’m also using the VSS for the generated pulse to my Rostra cruise control.
My memory might be prodded with a specific question but as for now that’s all I can remember.
Without digging for hours through my schematics that’s all I got for now.
Memory loss is a biatch at 84 years of age. 🤬

From May, 2017.

>>>>

My Autometer electric speedo works off of a Ford VSS plugged into my AOD. I got the VSS from Autozone, cost was about 15 bucks. I got a VSS plug from a Crown Vic at a salvage yard and stayed with the same size wires that the plug came with. There was no shielding used and the speedo works great and easy to calibrate. <<<<

Last edited by Rudi (6/07/2023 8:10 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/07/2023 10:47 AM  #21

Thanks still have a little memory left, but it also is going on its merry way, I'll do the 8000 pulse thing and set it at sine wave, worst that can happen is it might take off and land in never never land. 

6/20/2023 5:57 AM  #22

Well after a week under the dash, under the  hood and under the car the 64 Fairlane now has cruise control, the vss sender from a 90's Ford worked great, speedo cable was cut 3" and fit perfect. I guess I could now say that my 64 Fairane now has  A.I.

6/20/2023 6:35 AM  #23

Excellent!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.