FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2024 9:38 PM  #1

Full Chassis - Roadster Shop

I never knew this existed. Not something I will ever do, but found it interesting nonetheless.
Quite the price tag too.

https://roadstershop.com/product/1964-70-mustang/#engine-mount-options

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ZGk8iJy7g

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/07/2024 5:11 AM  #2

Re: Full Chassis - Roadster Shop

I’ve seen a few posts on other sites with others using this chassis option.

4/07/2024 6:26 AM  #3

IMO a colossal waste of time and money.  You can get whatever front or rear suspension you want in a classic Mustang without the need of this.  If you need the rigidity because the car makes so much power then you need a roll cage anyway, for safety if nothing else.  To me, this is a solution in search of a problem. 

4/07/2024 8:28 AM  #4

TKO - agree, I'd use that money for other things I feel I'd like to have ... although if I win the Power Ball.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/07/2024 12:58 PM  #5

Bob, I love my Mustangs, but if I win the Powerball I'm buying a Porsche 911 Turbo, a Porsche 959 (never imported), or a Nissan Skyline GTR (the R34 body style they never imported).  Maybe all 3 depending on the amount of the win. 

4/07/2024 4:44 PM  #6

Guys that use a chassis like this usually have a shop build the car, and aren't thinking about what they could also use the money to buy.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/08/2024 7:42 AM  #7

TKO - I don't disagree.
RPM - you're right

4/08/2024 2:54 PM  #8

If you have to buy an entire rear end, front end rebuild, disc brakes, the whole deal, plus some rocker rust repair, the $12,000 starts to be alot more reasonable.  I just want mine to resemble original stuff, though. 
I enjoy these cars because they are old school, not because they possess the latest tech. I bought my 2017 GT350 because of that, then sold it because “what’s the fun in that?”

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/08/2024 8:46 PM  #9

MS wrote:

If you have to buy an entire rear end, front end rebuild, disc brakes, the whole deal, plus some rocker rust repair, the $12,000 starts to be alot more reasonable.  I just want mine to resemble original stuff, though. 
I enjoy these cars because they are old school, not because they possess the latest tech. I bought my 2017 GT350 because of that, then sold it because “what’s the fun in that?”

I totally agree! That's why I will never even upgrade the steering system to rack and pinion and things like that. I love these cars for what they are and their simplicity.

Last edited by Toploader (4/08/2024 8:47 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/09/2024 9:57 AM  #10

It seems like you could add subframe connectors to the stock car and have essentially the same thing

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/09/2024 6:48 PM  #11

John Ha wrote:

It seems like you could add subframe connectors to the stock car and have essentially the same thing

Ding, ding!

4/10/2024 3:51 PM  #12

I spec'd one of those out with the brakes, suspension, and rear end I would want plus powder coat. Just under 25k!!!

4/11/2024 1:43 AM  #13

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

Guys that use a chassis like this usually have a shop build the car, and aren't thinking about what they could also use the money to buy.

Too true. Its the sort of thing you see a lot of on Kindig builds, where price seems to be no object. 

4/11/2024 6:39 AM  #14

Mach1Driver wrote:

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

Too true. Its the sort of thing you see a lot of on Kindig builds, where price seems to be no object. 

Yep.  They are the This Old House of car builds for sure.  I remember watching that with my Dad and how he used to say stuff like "they must have a money tree out back", and "Budget?  Oh, no, we can't work on anything that has a budget."

4/11/2024 7:40 AM  #15

TKO - Chuckled at “Oh, no, we can't work on anything that has a budget."  Watching these shows, while I'm impressed with the quality of the work performed, I wonder what the costs are for this custom work.   

4/12/2024 4:59 AM  #16

I would assume the shop labor rates are a minimum of $50/hr per man.  The top tier shops I'm sure its $100 or more.  I doubt much rolls out of Kindig's shop that costs less than $150k.

4/13/2024 10:37 AM  #17

BobE wrote:

TKO - “Oh, no, we can't work on anything that has a budget." 

ROFLMAO

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.