FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2020 6:55 PM  #1

Weld-on Shelby hood scoop

Originally, for my hood, I'd bonded an old, cheaply made fiberglass hood skin to a metal frame and it worked for a time.  However, after a while, the ungelcoated thin fiberglass started to print through.  Plus, the flimsy fiberglass just made it untenable.  So I got an original steel hood for $100 and one of those new steel Shelby scoops and welded the two together.  The original steel hood was pretty clapped out and required a lot of body work to be usable, so I didn't feel bad about cutting a hole in it.  Below are a few pics about how I did it, using a Lincoln 140 MIG welder.  I butt welded the metal, using 0.024" wire and the usual 75/25 gas mix.  As everyone knows, the biggest problem is preventing warpage.  I took the usual approach of tack welding, skipping around the perimeter, but used butt clamps and kept wet paper towels around the weld.  The result was very little warpage.  The other thing I did was to extend the hood's sheet metal under the scoop until it met the bracing, unlike the typical approach where the hood's sheet metal is cut off right at the opening.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

1/19/2020 7:09 PM  #2

Re: Weld-on Shelby hood scoop

I'd add a few more pics but apparently I've reached my limit for now.

1/25/2020 2:46 PM  #3

More pics!

1/27/2020 10:03 AM  #4

Here are some more pics:
Note that in the first, I used wet strips of blue paper towels to keep the butt weld seam cool to minimize warpage.

Last edited by jkordzi (1/27/2020 10:03 AM)

1/27/2020 1:53 PM  #5

Looks nice!

1/28/2020 10:43 AM  #6

Real nice work.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/29/2020 6:37 PM  #7

Very nicely done!!!  Want to do another one?
I have always resisted the scoop thing because fiberglass hoods, bonding issues, warpage, etc.  lt looks like you figured out how to make it work!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/29/2020 7:26 PM  #8

Thanks.  Maybe at some point I'd be willing to do another, but right now I'm remodeling a house in Sequim, WA.

1/31/2020 10:04 AM  #9

Good job and thanks for the write up

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

2/22/2020 2:58 PM  #10

That turned out great.

10/26/2022 11:03 PM  #11

nice

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

11/01/2022 1:53 PM  #12

Thanks for the inspiration. I need to do something like that on the 65 convertible so the 3x2 air cleaner clears. But, I will need to remove part of the crossmember in front of the air cleaner for clearance.
How much warpage did you experience?  Any problems to look out for?

What scoop did you use?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/13/2022 7:49 AM  #13

Very nice work.

8/06/2023 9:13 PM  #14

That’s real nice work.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.