FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2020 8:00 PM  #1

Whats your thoughts on adding a axle housing drain plug?

Im installing a new 3rd member in my ford 9" housing.  I bought this drain plug kit.  It has no instructions.  Looks like
it must weld in then looks like the other piece is a cover that needs to be welded in place too?   Im not the greatest welder and afraid this will just be something that might leak.  Whats your thoughts on a drain plug?  Thanks  Steve69

11/17/2020 6:35 AM  #2

Re: Whats your thoughts on adding a axle housing drain plug?

They certainly make servicing easier.  The weld really needs to be good though.  You don't want to introduce a leak.  I would advise practicing on similar thickness material and testing your welds to make sure they are liquid tight. 

11/17/2020 8:39 AM  #3

This setup looks like it will sit out of the housing a bit further than the type that the OEM provided when they did install a drain plug.  I'd be cautious with not having it extend too far out of the housing, bad things can happen if something hits it. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/17/2020 9:23 AM  #4

You may have better luck with a different style of bung.  I welded one of these in my transmission pan a few years ago...

https://www.mcmaster.com/12555K82

11/17/2020 9:46 AM  #5

You absolutely don't want any leaks. As often as I've been changing gears mine sure has paid fit itself. Don't know why I didn't add an easier to access fill hole.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/17/2020 10:06 AM  #6

That looks like the one that was on my car.  The big piece is a fill port that goes at the top.  Mine always had oily residue around it even though the welds were not leaking.
The drain on the bottom, at first, seems like a plus but, to me, it just got in the way of my floor jack when I placed it under the rear end.   A vacuum tube placed into the original fill port is a good way to remove old fluid. If you change fluid alot, the drain plug is probably the way to go but, in reality, does that ever happen unless the entire diff is being removed?

All that considered, when I had the new housing built, I had it done without the extra parts.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/17/2020 1:14 PM  #7

For the drain in the bottom you can offset the bung so its not in the way of the floor jack.  Toyota axles are done this way.  They also have a ring around them, raised to the same height as the plug to prevent damage to the plug from tail obstacles.  I'd be money that the oil around the plug was from oil working its way around the threads on the plug.  This is why I put a little RTV on the back side of the washer before installing the pinion nut.  Otherwise the oil will work its way along the splines and create a film around the washer and make it look like you have a pinion oil seal leak. 

11/17/2020 6:48 PM  #8

Thanks for the info, pics and links guys.  My axle housing is still in the car. Debating on pulling it out and doing the brake lines for the disk brakes and make it easier to put the drain plug in.

11/17/2020 6:55 PM  #9

I drilled a hole in a hockey puck that sits on the floor jack pad. The drain plug is aligned with the puck hole and doesn't touch metal.

11/18/2020 4:56 AM  #10

Maybe one could put the drain plug off to the side and just jack the car up on one side so the fluid drains to the side of the plug?

11/18/2020 11:02 AM  #11

Bearing Bob wrote:

I drilled a hole in a hockey puck that sits on the floor jack pad. The drain plug is aligned with the puck hole and doesn't touch metal.

Thanks for the Idea!  My son played hockey so I have a bag of hockey pucks somewhere in the basement...LOL  

11/18/2020 11:03 AM  #12

RTM wrote:

Maybe one could put the drain plug off to the side and just jack the car up on one side so the fluid drains to the side of the plug?

I might take a look at that option too. Thanks

11/18/2020 12:32 PM  #13

A slotted hockey puck is good for jack pad on pinch welds.
Thank Canada for them  hard rubber slugs, cept  when one from a slap shot hits your ankle.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/18/2020 6:31 PM  #14

Rudi wrote:

A slotted hockey puck is good for jack pad on pinch welds.
Thank Canada for them  hard rubber slugs, cept  when one from a slap shot hits your ankle.

I've got one with a slot in it also.

11/27/2020 7:46 AM  #15

MS wrote:

That looks like the one that was on my car. The big piece is a fill port that goes at the top. Mine always had oily residue around it even though the welds were not leaking.
The drain on the bottom, at first, seems like a plus but, to me, it just got in the way of my floor jack when I placed it under the rear end. A vacuum tube placed into the original fill port is a good way to remove old fluid. If you change fluid alot, the drain plug is probably the way to go but, in reality, does that ever happen unless the entire diff is being removed? Thanks for the pics!   Gives me a idea on the brake lines and where to put the bracket for the hoses!  

All that considered, when I had the new housing built, I had it done without the extra parts.

11/27/2020 9:02 AM  #16

Steve69, I have better pics of the brake lines if you need them.  Or, check out my virtual bash pictures on the BASH forum.  I documented most details like that in a bunch of pictures, so they would be readily available for this type thing.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/29/2020 10:32 AM  #17

MS wrote:

Steve69, I have better pics of the brake lines if you need them. Or, check out my virtual bash pictures on the BASH forum. I documented most details like that in a bunch of pictures, so they would be readily available for this type thing.

Thanks for the info!

11/29/2020 10:35 AM  #18

This is what I did.  I drilled the holes and my son is a pretty good welder.  He was home from college for Thanksgiving weekend and he welded in the plugs for me and fixed a few other areas that needed attention.   

Last edited by Steve69 (11/29/2020 10:36 AM)

11/29/2020 10:43 AM  #19

The kids bought me this last Christmas and it drilled through the axle in 40 seconds.  This works really well for drilling holes through metal.   Spyder Bi-Metal Hole Saw Kit - 13 Piece 884835005405 | eBay   Menards has it on sale through December 6th for $39.99.

Last edited by Steve69 (11/29/2020 10:45 AM)

11/29/2020 10:55 AM  #20

Yep, available at Lowes as well.  They will bore through most anything that will trash a hole saw.  I use them all the time to drill through asbestos siding (which is really a misnomer, the siding is made from cement; the asbestos is just a reinforcing fiber).  I've drilled through cementuous floor leveler as well with zero issue and it did not dull the saw. 

11/30/2020 6:47 PM  #21

TKOPerformance wrote:

Yep, available at Lowes as well.  They will bore through most anything that will trash a hole saw.  I use them all the time to drill through asbestos siding (which is really a misnomer, the siding is made from cement; the asbestos is just a reinforcing fiber).  I've drilled through cementuous floor leveler as well with zero issue and it did not dull the saw. 

After using this I tossed all my other hole saws that I have.  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.